Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Trey M
macrumors 6502

Received my 13'' Refurb Air today

I bought a refurb 2012 MBA from Apple's "refubished_outlet" eBay store ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBoo...item460d996089 )

and when I pulled it out of the box, it had 8GB of RAM installed! Pretty cool considering the description was just the 4GB. If people can start getting some of these models from the refurb store with additional RAM then they are a really great deal.

I was surprised that the refurb model didn't come in a new Apple box. It came in a different type of packaging that read "Apple Certified" when you opened it. This is my first refurbished computer from Apple but on the forums I'd never heard of them shipping it in a different box.

Unforunately, my model has a Toshiba SSD and an LG screen though Win some lose some I guess!
iPhone 6 | Space Gray 64GB VZW
Trey M is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:49 PM   #2
B...
macrumors 68000

Refurbs come in a brown box. One of the things you don't get is the pretty Apple box. BUT you did get a $100 upgrade, free!

And if you see any problems with the SSD or display, bring it into Apple and they will make it right!

Congrats on your new computer.
B... is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:14 PM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816

The plain box is really a non-issue when one considers the savings. I've purchased two refurb MBPs and both have been awesome. I even got the "surprise upgrade" phenomenon you experienced -- my second machine was listed as having a 5400 and actually had a 7200 RPM drive installed.
designs216 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Trey M
macrumors 6502

Wasn't even necessarily a bad thing about the brown box, just something I wasn't expecting! I'll definitely take a slightly worse box for all the savings.

And that's great to know other people have had surprise upgrades happen as well. Nothing can make your day more than that!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:23 PM   #5
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
From what I understand the base models come with the Toshiba displays and SSDs.

I've also read that the 256GB SSD is a Samsung always while the 128GB is a Toshiba.

With Apple and Samsung appearing to sever ties, Apple will probably be using Toshiba for all their SSDs.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Trey M
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman View Post

I've also read that the 256GB SSD is a Samsung always while the 128GB is a Toshiba.

With Apple and Samsung appearing to sever ties, Apple will probably be using Toshiba for all their SSDs.
I have heard about all the 256GB being Samsung, which I believe is true. I also believe that the 128GB SSD's (aka, base models) are sourced from both Samsung and Toshiba, but you're much more likely to receive a Toshiba. I'm not positive on any of that, though, it's just what I've pulled after reading several instances

At the end of the day it's a bit bothersome, though it's still a really fast SSD that's in the 2012 models regardless, so it's not a huge deal. The display is more important IMO, as that's what you'll be looking at all day, but I just added a new color profile to my LG and I am enjoying the difference.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:45 PM   #7
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey M View Post
I have heard about all the 256GB being Samsung, which I believe is true. I also believe that the 128GB SSD's (aka, base models) are sourced from both Samsung and Toshiba, but you're much more likely to receive a Toshiba. I'm not positive on any of that, though, it's just what I've pulled after reading several instances

At the end of the day it's a bit bothersome, though it's still a really fast SSD that's in the 2012 models regardless, so it's not a huge deal. The display is more important IMO, as that's what you'll be looking at all day, but I just added a new color profile to my LG and I am enjoying the difference.
The SSD on the 2012 model (TS128E) is FAR better than the 2011 model. As far as the LG vs. Samsung LCD, my original base MBA with Toshiba SSD and LG LCD worked well. I sold my base MBA in favor of a i7/8GB/256GB model and it has both Samsung SSD and LCD. I can honestly tell you that I cannot see a difference in the PQ from the LG and Samsung display.

The Samsung SSD is faster write, but equal read speed.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Trey M
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The SSD on the 2012 model (TS128E) is FAR better than the 2011 model. As far as the LG vs. Samsung LCD, my original base MBA with Toshiba SSD and LG LCD worked well. I sold my base MBA in favor of a i7/8GB/256GB model and it has both Samsung SSD and LCD. I can honestly tell you that I cannot see a difference in the PQ from the LG and Samsung display.

The Samsung SSD is faster write, but equal read speed.

That's good to know you couldn't tell differences in displays- pretty cool you now have an extreme model with everything Samsung.

And yeah, like you said, the 2012 SSD's are significantly speedier than the 2011 were, so regardless the machine will speed along
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:49 PM   #9
maswriter
macrumors member

Still happy with my refurbished MacBook Pro

I'm still happy with the refurbished MacBook Pro I bought last year. Refurbs are definitely the way to go, especially with the cost savings. More info is here: http://www.matthewarnoldstern.com/in...cbook-pro.html
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:06 AM   #10
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by B... View Post
Refurbs come in a brown box. One of the things you don't get is the pretty Apple box. ..
My 'pretty box' sits somewhere on a shelf in my basement
Take the "brown box' and free upgrade and run
RightMACatU is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:36 AM   #11
77slevin
macrumors member

Quote:
Unforunately, my model has a Toshiba SSD and an LG screen though Win some lose some I guess!
Did you notice something wrong with those 2 brands on a MacBook Air before you bought yours? Just asking, because I find the whole bias against the two brands very weird. Most people parrot what they read on forums like this one, without experiencing anything bad with their computer. Disclaimer: I'm not talking about the Retina image retention on the MacBook Pro. That's a real, genuine observable problem.
2012 i7 2,6GHz Mac Mini 16GB 256GB
77slevin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Trey M
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77slevin View Post
Did you notice something wrong with those 2 brands on a MacBook Air before you bought yours? Just asking, because I find the whole bias against the two brands very weird. Most people parrot what they read on forums like this one, without experiencing anything bad with their computer. Disclaimer: I'm not talking about the Retina image retention on the MacBook Pro. That's a real, genuine observable problem.
I have read on a number of sites (including Anandtech) that the Samsung panel clearly is the better display. Many say with a new color profile installed, the difference between the LG and Samsung isn't even noticeable, however I haven't yet gotten to side-by-side with a Samsung.

As far as the SSD goes, it really seems like the Samsung is the superior drive in every way, and I would much rather have a Samsung SSD then the Toshiba.
Anand did a really good overview about the differences between the SSD's if you're interested
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:36 PM   #13
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I have read on a number of sites (including Anandtech) that the Samsung panel clearly is the better display. Many say with a new color profile installed, the difference between the LG and Samsung isn't even noticeable, however I haven't yet gotten to side-by-side with a Samsung.

As far as the SSD goes, it really seems like the Samsung is the superior drive in every way, and I would much rather have a Samsung SSD then the Toshiba.
Anand did a really good overview about the differences between the SSD's if you're interested
Problem is, you don't get the choice in the base model. When you upgrade the SSD from 128 to 256 it is most likely a Samsung, but I seriously doubt the end user will ever notice a difference.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:54 AM   #14
77slevin
macrumors member

Quote:
I have read on a number of sites (including Anandtech) /snip
And you prove my point! If you hadn't read that and you used your LG + Toshiba MacBook Air, you would be none the wiser and be happy with your Air.

I'm not suggesting you should stop reading reviews, but think about this one: Reviews are, for the most part written by paid journalists. You are never sure if they have a stick up their ass about this or that brand. Could be they had a bad experience with said brand and are not entirely honest about their agenda.
For all we know that reviewer just got a brand new Samsung Smart Phone for services rendered.
2012 i7 2,6GHz Mac Mini 16GB 256GB
77slevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:26 PM   #15
hackerwayne
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to hackerwayne Send a message via Skype™ to hackerwayne
Quote:

Nah.. My Air came with crappy 256GB Toshiba SSD
Quote: Nothing is impossible. Twitter: @Wayne_819
hackerwayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Saturn007
macrumors regular

Not Apple on eBay!!

"I bought a refurb 2012 MBA from Apple's "refubished_outlet" eBay store ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBoo...item460d996089 )"

How do you know that's Apple? I'm doubtful that it is--rather it's some 3rd party outfit that is certified to do Apple refurbishing.

Apple's refurbs are sold at apple.com only, right?

That seller on ebay is called "refurbished outlet" not Apple!
Saturn007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:05 PM   #17
gertruded
macrumors regular

My 13 inch 2012 air was purchased new from BB and has Samsung drive and screen. Standard model with 4 gb of ram. Bb was running a sale and had the machine at refurb price. I usually purchase refurb Apple products and have had great success with them.
gertruded is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:12 PM   #18
Kartram
macrumors newbie

I got mine last week from the same vendor on ebay, i can confirm that they are Apple, if you google, you will find enough references of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn007 View Post
"I bought a refurb 2012 MBA from Apple's "refubished_outlet" eBay store ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBoo...item460d996089 )"

How do you know that's Apple? I'm doubtful that it is--rather it's some 3rd party outfit that is certified to do Apple refurbishing.

Kartram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:16 AM   #19
Trey M
macrumors 6502

Quote:

False. A few months back word spread on the internet about the refurbished_outlet account actually being owned and operated by Apple in some sort of test run. It's an interesting topic, and I really don't know why Apple has chosen to sell through the account and even offer better prices than the Apple Refurbished Store, but the process is definitely handled directly by Apple.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/08/apples...nt-advantages/
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:28 AM   #20
Trey M
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77slevin View Post
And you prove my point! If you hadn't read that and you used your LG + Toshiba MacBook Air, you would be none the wiser and be happy with your Air.

I'm not suggesting you should stop reading reviews, but think about this one: Reviews are, for the most part written by paid journalists. You are never sure if they have a stick up their ass about this or that brand. Could be they had a bad experience with said brand and are not entirely honest about their agenda.
For all we know that reviewer just got a brand new Samsung Smart Phone for services rendered.
Anand is well-known for his very fair reviews and as such I'll take his advice not with complete faith, but I'll highly regard it. He said the same thing- most users probably won't notice the difference- but really the whole deal is that its irritating Apple has a "lottery" process with several components in their computers.

Also, I believe I can determine for myself about whether to trust a journalist or not.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:53 PM   #21
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:

They are using Sandisk drives on some of the newer rMBPs now. They aren't quite as fast as the latest Samsung drives, but are faster than the Toshiba drives.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:54 PM   #22
B...
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
They are using Sandisk drives on some of the newer rMBPs now. They aren't quite as fast as the latest Samsung drives, but are faster than the Toshiba drives.
We are talking about the Airs which do not use SanDisk anything.
B... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:57 PM   #23
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B... View Post
We are talking about the Airs which do not use SanDisk anything.
Now, but that doesn't mean that they won't with the next refresh. Apple apparently just recently started using SanDisk drives (with the 2013 mid-cycle refresh).
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:57 AM   #24
Saturn007
macrumors regular

So, how do you know that it's Apple? No evidence!

Sorry, but responding "False" is nonsensical. How do you know that 9 to 5 is correct?

You wrote, "the process is definitely handled directly by Apple". Yet, there is absolutely no information in that story or the prior one that quotes a source, provides evidence, or in any way shape or form "proves" it's Apple.

You may want to believe it, but many of us would rather spend a few extra bucks to ensure we get our products directly from the real Apple with all the associated guarantees (returns, warranty, etc.).

It simply flies in the face of the company's long-time practices to show up on eBay under an assumed name. ("Refurbished Outlet"?!! ) (What are the people behind this thinking?)

More likely, some major re-seller in China (or here) is doing this.

Quote:
False. A few months back word spread on the internet about the refurbished_outlet account actually being owned and operated by Apple in some sort of test run. It's an interesting topic, and I really don't know why Apple has chosen to sell through the account and even offer better prices than the Apple Refurbished Store, but the process is definitely handled directly by Apple.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/08/apples...nt-advantages/
Saturn007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:05 PM   #25
Trey M
macrumors 6502

Quote:

You may want to believe it, but many of us would rather spend a few extra bucks to ensure we get our products directly from the real Apple with all the associated guarantees (returns, warranty, etc.).

Believe what you want, but simply google the refurbished_outlet account and you'll find several different websites all vouching that it is indeed Apple's eBay account. And as for your quote above, the laptop comes with the same 14-day return policy and comes with a genuine Apple 1 year warranty. So it literally is identical to purchasing from the Apple refurb site. I'll take my experience with the eBay account and everything else I've read over your empty suggestion that it is a third-party account because you have no grounds or evidence that suggets any of that. You are blindly suggesting that it is not Apple when you have obviously never dealt with nor researched the account.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air