Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I think this year 2013, will see some awesome smartphone releases, and too early for me to decide on a new phone just yet.

Now I know there are a lot of Mr. Moneybags here that buy a new phone every 6 months :) Wish I could afford that, I am typically once a year buyer, or every 18 months.

Anyways, so far released or announced is the Sony Xperia, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4. All three of those are very nice, but more to come still.

What other phones coming this year are looking forward too ? Myself would be the Nexus-Five, Google-X, iPhone 5S ( for iOS7 ), Note III, curious what Windows Phone 8.5 will be like this Fall.

Most of all, really looking forward to the new software #1, Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, and Apple's iOS7.

My nerd dream phone would be;

- Nexus phone, obviously running the latest Android OS
- MAXX type battery 3300mAH
- Thinner phone like Galaxy S3 thin @ 8.6mm, don't need iPhone 5 thin.
- 4.8" 1080p screen IPS
- Newest Quad Core, Snapdragon 800
- 2GB RAM
- Loud speakers
- 32GB / 64GB Storage options

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Only thing I'm looking forward to is Samsung and maybe others releasing a foldable screen, although I have a feeling a mass produced foldable screen cell phone won't be this year, or even next year. But still they are floating around and we may be surprised this year.

Other than that maybe the Note 3, although it will probably be too big for me as the Note 2 is probably the largest I can deal with. The iphone 5s will be Apple's usual incremental upgrade which won't be worth it at all, especially on top of the already lackluster iphone 5. I'm also curious if Microsoft will put some clout behind windows phone, I really want one but not until some developers line up behind it.

My dream phone:
Foldable screen, 4" when shut, 8" when open.
Windows Metro OS (not windows phone, but full windows 8) which is a much better OS than iOS or android IMO.
Something with a nice GPU for playing games

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think this year 2013, will see some awesome smartphone releases, and too early for me to decide on a new phone just yet.

Now I know there are a lot of Mr. Moneybags here that buy a new phone every 6 months :) Wish I could afford that, I am typically once a year buyer, or every 18 months.

Anyways, so far released or announced is the Sony Xperia, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4. All three of those are very nice, but more to come still.

What other phones coming this year are looking forward too ? Myself would be the Nexus-Five, Google-X, iPhone 5S ( for iOS7 ), Note III, curious what Windows Phone 8.5 will be like this Fall.

Most of all, really looking forward to the new software #1, Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, and Apple's iOS7.

My nerd dream phone would be;

- Nexus phone, obviously running the latest Android OS
- MAXX type battery 3300mAH
- Thinner phone like Galaxy S3 thin @ 8.6mm, don't need iPhone 5 thin.
- 4.8" 1080p screen IPS
- Newest Quad Core, Snapdragon 800
- 2GB RAM
- Loud speakers
- 32GB / 64GB Storage options

Put stock vanilla android and a little bit bigger battery in the HTC One and I'd be very happy.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Myself would be the Nexus-Five, Google-X, iPhone 5S ( for iOS7 ), Note III

Same here.

Note III, Nexus 5, Google X. If those don't get me to upgrade, I'll wait until next year for the One 2 and S5.

Keeping an eye on the 5S to see what apple will do this year although a recent story on the front page has Jony Ive working on an even simpler flat designed OS that's going to be pretty conservative?

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Will there me a Motorola x and a nexus 5 though? That's the biggest question that needs to be asked. If there isn't then it looks like the iPhone 5s and note 3 are gonna be the only big ones left.

And with the iPhone 5s I seriously doubt apple are going the revolutionise iOS as we know it, probably a few features in iOS 7 and a camera, processor/graphics upgrade, and maybe NFC, which are all hardly revolutionary.

It seems like everyone is gonna big up the iOS 7 update which is gonna end with a lot of disappointment.

Then the note 3 is basically gonna be the s4 but a bigger screen, bigger battery and probably a few little more features on top of the s4.

I wouldn't wait much longer because the phones released in the last month are probably the best it gets.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The new nexus is what I am most looking forward to. Even if it does not have LTE, as long as the battery gets an upgrade I will be extremely happy. What date in May does google hold their conference?

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Nexus phone, Google X.

Personally although I really like my S3, I would like the option of a 4.5" screen with a kick arse phone!

I am curious to see what Apple pulls out to try to entice us.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Not due an upgrade till early next year, so this year will just be watching what comes out

Not a phone, but looking forward to the new Nexus 7

Also not a phone, but I am enjoying following how Chrome OS is going

Samsung phones I am looking forward to seeing how they head with their own OS, not very impressed with the idea so far, but interested to see how it goes

Any new Nexus phone is interesting to see

Also want to see how iPhone 5S/OS7 turns out, don't really like the flat idea for iOS that has recently been reported, but if some colour can be added back to the apps I can ignore this, but want to see where iOS now goes

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Interested in seeing what iOS 7 had to offer but frankly the only phone in really interested in is the galaxy s4 at this point. I'm actually looking forward to what the industry is going to do with the tablets. Hopefully Microsoft gets it right with the Surface Pro 2, Google with their next set of Nexus Tablets and I'm excited about the retina iPad Mini.

Really happy with the Note 2 I have right now and am a little bit weary of Samsung increasing the size of their phablet any larger.

It's going to take a lot to convince me to upgrade from the Note 2 but I always like playing with new toys.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I think it will be a very exciting year. Looking forward to Samsung's offerings of S4 and Note 3 as well as the HTC One and the Nexus 5. I am also interested in Apple's smaller full sized iPad, I am quite happy with the display of my iPad mini so the retina version that is rumoured this year doesn't really bother me TBH. :)

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Really happy with the Note 2 I have right now and am a little bit weary of Samsung increasing the size of their phablet any larger.

It's going to take a lot to convince me to upgrade from the Note 2 but I always like playing with new toys.

I've got the S3 and iPhone 5 right now, but I've been batting around the idea of getting another Note 2 (I tried one for a few weeks, but it just felt too big in my hand at the time...plus, I already had the S3 and didn't need both, so I returned it).

But I've noticed that I barely use my Nexus 7 anymore since I've got the S3. I typically just use my S3 to surf forums and the web when I'm at home, so my thinking is that the Note 2 would be even better for this. Like you, increasing the size of the Note 3 would probably be a no-go for me since I felt the Note 2 was just a bit too large.

I'll probably pass on the S4 and just pick up a used Note 2. I'm just so conflicted on it right now. :D

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I thought I'd get the S4 but wasn't really impressed by it. Going to wait for the next Nexus and Motorola/Google phone.

Was considering trying out the BB Z10 but played with it and didn't like it.

If iOS7 is interesting it'll be between that or Google's next phone.

JustJeff

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
Interested in the new Nexus line and iOS 7. So basically just the stock offerings from Google and Apple.

The HTC One does look amazing though would love to give the device a try.

Not really interested in the Note 3 think its just going to be another evolutionary upgrade like the S4. Don't get me wrong the S4 is a solid upgrade just doesn't interest me as much.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Honestly the more you enjoy your phone the less you give a damm about upgrading

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Honestly the more you enjoy your phone the less you give a damm about upgrading

THIS! As soon as I upgraded from the S3, to the Nexus 4 I realized how much I missed my S3. I also realized that though I can upgrade often, I never really get to enjoy these devices because when upgrading so quickly, you never stay with 1 phone long enough to enjoy it. My next phone will be the Note 3 in the fall. :cool:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Which way are you leaning?

Sometimes it's so obvious to go with the s4.

Other times I want to give htc a chance.

And once in a while I think about keeping my iPhone 5.

I am pretty sure I want to come back to android but I'm not very thrilled by what's being offered. Many reservations with the htc one and with the s4 I have this weird itch not to give Samsung the satisfaction of underestimating the competition. I get the feeling they didn't expect htc to show such a strong hand this year. I'll be the first to argue the s4 is a very nice upgrade from the s3 but I also can't help but feel like they're getting away with resting on their laurels. I wish they offered a more premium looking and feeling phone.

I want to give htc a chance but huge reservations about that power button location (hated it on the one x), battery life on lte, 4.1 and updates in general, and likewise I don't want to let htc get away with rearranging the home button configuration (all for a logo. That bothers me).

I don't know.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Only phones im interested in are the GS4 and the Nexus 5. The Nexus has to really step it up though. I love the MicroSD slot on the Samsungs and the Nexus always have crappy cameras.

Not really interested in the HTC One. I really dont care for the all aluminum casing and i know some will say it is built better but i just dont agree. The aluminum backs are just way to slippery and i drop those 10 times mor than the plastic one. My Wife has a HTC Radar Windows 7 phone that has an aluminum back. I dont even hold it very often and its always slipping out of my hand when i do.

Will probably have a case on either one anyways but i dont right now on my GS3 with my battery cover with the leather on it.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Only phones im interested in are the GS4 and the Nexus 5. The Nexus has to really step it up though. I love the MicroSD slot on the Samsungs and the Nexus always have crappy cameras.

Not really interested in the HTC One. I really dont care for the all aluminum casing and i know some will say it is built better but i just dont agree. The aluminum backs are just way to slippery and i drop those 10 times mor than the plastic one. My Wife has a HTC Radar Windows 7 phone that has an aluminum back. I dont even hold it very often and its always slipping out of my hand when i do.

Will probably have a case on either one anyways but i dont right now on my GS3 with my battery cover with the leather on it.

I wouldn't count on the SD slot being in the Nexus, but Google is apparently committed to finally bringing a better camera to the next Nexus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.