Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Bug in the up vote

I normally wouldn't be doing this but I just discovered a flaw.

While logged in on my iPad I up voted a post. No problem right ?

Well I then went to my Mac that I was logged into MR at the same time and I was able to up vote the same post.

So in essence I was able to up vote a single post from 2 different devices using my normal log in.

Two votes from the same member on the same post.

Is this supposed to be correct ?

I just did it on this post also.
Peace is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:40 PM   #2
arn
macrumors god
 
arn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I normally wouldn't be doing this but I just discovered a flaw.

While logged in on my iPad I up voted a post. No problem right ?

Well I then went to my Mac that I was logged into MR at the same time and I was able to up vote the same post.

So in essence I was able to up vote a single post from 2 different devices using my normal log in.

Two votes from the same member on the same post.

Is this supposed to be correct ?

I just did it on this post also.
We'll look into it, but votes should be login-specific, not device-specific.

arn
arn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Peace
Thread Starter
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
It could just be browser specific . I haven't tested that yet.

Sorry to bug ya arn. I realize the voting is no big deal.

Just one of those things.
Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:15 AM   #4
arn
macrumors god
 
arn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
It could just be browser specific . I haven't tested that yet.

Sorry to bug ya arn. I realize the voting is no big deal.

Just one of those things.
Are you sure the vote is saving?

It will look like the vote is accepted, but if you reload, it shouldn't.

arn
arn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Peace
Thread Starter
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Are you sure the vote is saving?

It will look like the vote is accepted, but if you reload, it shouldn't.

arn
Look at my original post. Those up votes are from me.

I'm positive.

Used the three time duplication rule.

Edit :

Now it's not doing it. Did something happen when MR went down for a few seconds ?

Last edited by Peace; Mar 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM.
Peace is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:15 AM   #6
chrberni
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
I think we're good and the up-vote is functioning as designed.

I've taken a look and I can't reproduce the problem. Also, looking at the data, the 3 votes on that original post are from 3 different users. Perhaps it was coincidentally up-voted by others while you were investigating it? Or is it possible you are logged in as different users on your devices?

Thanks,
chris
chrberni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Peace
Thread Starter
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrberni View Post
I think we're good and the up-vote is functioning as designed.

I've taken a look and I can't reproduce the problem. Also, looking at the data, the 3 votes on that original post are from 3 different users. Perhaps it was coincidentally up-voted by others while you were investigating it? Or is it possible you are logged in as different users on your devices?

Thanks,
chris
Nope. Just Peace.

Sorry I bothered folks.

Carry on !
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Simplicated
macrumors 65816
 
Simplicated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Nope. Just Peace.

Sorry I bothered folks.

Carry on !
I did notice a bug, where the button appears to be protruded when you've already upvoted a post. It even adds 1 after clicking, but reverts as soon as you refresh.
__________________
Clarus says "Moof!"
Simplicated is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:48 PM   #9
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Isn't this the same thing that was being discussed here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1556404

I'm still seeing it myself.

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Peace
Thread Starter
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Isn't this the same thing that was being discussed here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1556404

I'm still seeing it myself.

B
No my post was obviously my error . That thread is about something else.

I underestimated the number of people that would up vote a feedback thread in a five minute period.

Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:00 PM   #11
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
No my post was obviously my error . That thread is about something else.
Behaviour is similar. Even though you have already voted on a post, it lets you vote on it again until you refresh the page and it no longer counts.

Used to be the upvote button was disabled if you had already voted on it.

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Peace
Thread Starter
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
If you look at my original post you will see three up votes . I thought I made two of those. One from my iPad and one from my MBP.

Obviously I didn't .
Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:49 PM   #13
arn
macrumors god
 
arn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Behaviour is similar. Even though you have already voted on a post, it lets you vote on it again until you refresh the page and it no longer counts.

Used to be the upvote button was disabled if you had already voted on it.

B
Ya, we don't check if you voted or not when the vote button is displayed. It's checked when you vote and discarded in the backend if you have already voted (why it doesn't appear when you reload).

The whole vote system is still not what i'd consider great, but I have a few other enhancements that we are working on, so it's just not been a high priority. Things like these changes always take longer than it seems like they should.

arn
arn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:26 AM   #14
Squilly
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
I can't upvote on any threads

I don't know if it's a delay or what but I can't upvote any threads. The button is there, but if I click it then refresh the page, my vote goes away.
__________________
iPhone 5s 16gb Space Gray Sprint
Squilly is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:27 AM   #15
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
Just upvoted you from my iPad

And myself ...

What environment you use ?
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app. doessizematter ?
ChristianJapan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:28 AM   #16
srf4real
macrumors 68030
 
srf4real's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: paradise beach FL
I just upvoted both of you. And myself.
__________________
iSurf. For real.
srf4real is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:04 AM   #17
Squilly
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by srf4real View Post
I just upvoted both of you. And myself.
Refresh page?
__________________
iPhone 5s 16gb Space Gray Sprint
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:11 PM   #18
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I can vote, and unvote, as long as I don't refresh. When I refresh, it doesn't seem like I voted at all to begin with, even though I did.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:06 PM   #19
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020
 
Comeagain?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Bug in the up vote

... Good Riddance.

I can vote and refresh from Mobile Safari, but after I refresh the button is no longer "pressed" and allows me to click again. Refreshing a second time removes the extraneous vote. So I don't appear to be able to unvote from my iPhone.
__________________
Questions? MRoogle it!
Current iOS 8 "All the little things!"
MR Scavenger Score: 1
Comeagain? is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:51 AM   #20
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
my vote goes away.

Thats the way I would have designed it.
__________________
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safari Weird Bug & Download folder Bug DJTaurus OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Feb 18, 2014 04:11 PM
iPhone: IntelliscreenX Bug or Messages+ bug?ip5 x-evil-x Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Feb 11, 2013 11:30 PM
Help me vote! soco Politics, Religion, Social Issues 10 Nov 1, 2012 05:30 PM
Flock the Vote CylonGlitch Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Oct 27, 2012 10:27 AM
Vote!!! Hexiii iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Aug 25, 2012 07:17 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC