Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:38 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Chinese State-Run Press Slams Apple Over Warranty Criticisms

For the second time in a week, China's state-run press has published an article criticizing Apple over allegations that Apple's warranty in that country is significantly worse than in other countries, reports The Wall Street Journal. Apple had previously claimed the warranty it offers in China is nearly identical to that offered in other countries.

Previously, a number of Chinese celebrities criticized Apple on microblogging site Sina Weibo -- however, it is alleged that the messages were paid for and part of a coordinated attempt to stir up an anti-Apple backlash amongst the Chinese public.

Today's article, published in The People's Daily newspaper, criticized Apple for declining journalists' requests for interviews, and called a press release the company issued "empty and self-praising". For years, Apple has been extremely selective when it comes to granting interviews.
Quote:
Though it can be difficult to predict government behavior based on news coverage in China's state-run media, analysts said the string of attacks suggested that the government is considering doing more to encourage the growth of domestic smartphone companies and eat away at dominant foreign companies, such as Apple.

The criticism means "that in establishment circles, there is a level of acceptance that it is OK to go against this company, which can mean there's trouble down the road," said Jeremy Goldkorn, director of Danwei.org, which researches Chinese media.
The incidents reflect more on a changing Chinese approach to foreign companies, rather than some specific reflection on Apple itself. China is Apple's second largest market after the U.S., and the company has been aggressive in expanding there.

The Chinese government has targeted other foreign companies including Volkswagen and KFC in recent months.

Note: Due to the controversial nature of this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Chinese State-Run Press Slams Apple Over Warranty Criticisms
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:40 PM   #2
mcrain
Banned

Anyone want to bet whether this is a coordinated anti-Apple effort tied to the announcement that Apple would be manufacturing its products in the US again?
mcrain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Man, I'm so glad I live in a country where the government doesn't run the media

(THIS EMOTICON MEANS "SARCASM")..... I'm being sarcastic because the US media is anything but impartial and the 4th check it has been and is supposed to be. I'm not making a political statement either way - both are equally guilty (though it is pretty lopsided in one party's favor).

Last edited by jrswizzle; Mar 27, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
jrswizzle is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Schtumple
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
Anyone want to bet whether this is a coordinated anti-Apple effort tied to the announcement that Apple would be manufacturing its products in the US again?
I think it's just an anti country other than China message they're putting out. Goods need to be manufactured more in their own countries, it's stupid to push everything to China and not expect something like this to start happening somewhere down the line.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:56 PM   #5
WhoDaKat
macrumors regular

Do the Chinese public buy into this crap? I see something on CNN or any news really, and I don't believe it until I've seen multiple sources, and then I'm still cynical. If the Chinese government was in charge of my news, I'd never believe anything they ever reported. Do the Chinese public actually listen and believe what is said on state run media? I would think state run media would almost be a joke to the general population that it serves.
WhoDaKat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:57 PM   #6
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

From CNET: "...That wasn't good enough for The People's Daily, which in a front page story earlier today (spotted by The Wall Street Journal) lambasted Apple for not responding to interview requests on the issue."

uhh...welcome to journalism.

paul4339 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:00 PM   #7
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post

Thank goodness for the rolleyes haha
thadoggfather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:01 PM   #8
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:

not that we are aware of
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:17 PM   #9
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Previously, a number of Chinese celebrities criticized Apple on microblogging site Sina Weibo -- however, it is alleged that the messages were paid for and part of a coordinated attempt to stir up an anti-Apple backlash amongst the Chinese public.
Alleged? No. The Chinese State Run Press, the Samsung spokeperson, and many paid anti-Apple shills were caught red handed:

http://www.theatlantic.com/china/arc...-weibo/274104/
newagemac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Radio
In Time-Out

Apple don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Battlefield Fan
Banned

And Apple can move their production to another country where they can pay .05 an hour and leave hundreds of thousands of Chinese unemployed. Their new production line in Brazil is a good start.
Battlefield Fan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:51 PM   #12
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
And Apple can move their production to another country where they can pay .05 an hour and leave hundreds of thousands of Chinese unemployed. Their new production line in Brazil is a good start.

Good luck with that. Virtually their entire supply chain is located in the far east and moving production of tens of millions of items would take quite some time. I also don't believe Apple can or will find a place to manufacture that has the number of people they need.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Cartaphilus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yeah, it's obvious Obama has Fox News in his pocket
Cartaphilus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:13 PM   #14
kas23
macrumors 603

Apparently the Chinese government didn't get the memo about Foxconn's record profits.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:13 PM   #15
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a

I cannot help finding Macrumors stance a little one-sided here. Or is it just me?

Contrary to others (I, for one, cannot read the linked WSJ article without signing up, and the teaser doesn't really get to the bottom of the issue), Macrumors fail to state the very issue that's been criticized by Chinese media - while at the same time slamming "China" for its recent media coverage about Apple, insinuating some sort of government-orchestrated move to discredit Apple.

1. As CNET reports, it is alleged that Apple repairs iPhones by only swapping defective parts, instead of swapping entire units - which they do in other countries. Macworld.co.uk corroborates this:

"The programme claimed that Apple is breaking Chinese law by not replacing damaged iPhones with a completely new model. It maintained that Apple replaces parts of the iPhone but returns it with the old phone’s back cover"

If this claim is true, if Apple really do repairs rather than full unit swaps, this means that the entire service process takes longer - for the customer. Customers have to wait longer to get their working iPhones back.

2. And, to quote Macrumor's own article here "Apple had previously claimed the warranty it offers in China is nearly identical to that offered in other countries" (emphasis mine)

I don't claim to know the truth or any details at all about their repair procedures in China. But the picture these reports paint, is at least coherent: Apple seem to not offer the same level warranty service as they do in other countries. And pointing out that the warranty is (only) "nearly identical" looks like an implicit admission to that.

Last edited by AppliedMicro; Mar 25, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
AppliedMicro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Ironically, the 'free trade' west can't seem to wait to offshore everything to a country that follows old school protectionist policies. Anything to access a low-wage economy I guess.
Macist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:54 PM   #17
samcraig
macrumors G5

First in with "Apple should just BUY China" and "Apple should just stop selling anything in China - that will teach them" ???
samcraig is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:41 PM   #18
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

No fair, their Apple Logo actually lights up in China.
TV 3
locoboi187 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:47 PM   #19
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just as long as corporations don't control the media. That would be the end of days.

An empty self-praising press release? Inconceivable!

What matters it that Apple should be abiding by China's (let's be charitable and call them) laws. If it is… no biggie, if it isn't… should fix it. Thanks to AppliedMicro for doing the basic journalism, here. Shame on MacRumors.

I do like the bit about Samcopy getting caught red-handed, though. At some stage Samcopy's spending on bribes, advertising and channel stuffing, has to exceed its actual profits on Galaxy phones…
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:09 PM   #20
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

Your dead wrong

The US regime does run the MEDIA and its controlled by the corporate fascists who rule this country. Where have you been???

Quote:

PowerPCMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:12 PM   #21
foidulus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedMicro View Post
I cannot help finding Macrumors stance a little one-sided here. Or is it just me?

Contrary to others (I, for one, cannot read the linked WSJ article without signing up, and the teaser doesn't really get to the bottom of the issue), Macrumors fail to state the very issue that's been criticized by Chinese media - while at the same time slamming "China" for its recent media coverage about Apple, insinuating some sort of government-orchestrated move to discredit Apple.

1. As CNET reports, it is alleged that Apple repairs iPhones by only swapping defective parts, instead of swapping entire units - which they do in other countries. Macworld.co.uk corroborates this:

"The programme claimed that Apple is breaking Chinese law by not replacing damaged iPhones with a completely new model. It maintained that Apple replaces parts of the iPhone but returns it with the old phone’s back cover"

If this claim is true, if Apple really do repairs rather than full unit swaps, this means that the entire service process takes longer - for the customer. Customers have to wait longer to get their working iPhones back.

2. And, to quote Macrumor's own article here "Apple had previously claimed the warranty it offers in China is nearly identical to that offered in other countries" (emphasis mine)

I don't claim to know the truth or any details at all about their repair procedures in China. But the picture these reports paint, is at least coherent: Apple seem to not offer the same level warranty service as they do in other countries. And pointing out that the warranty is (only) "nearly identical" looks like an implicit admission to that.
Apple does not replace defective units with "completely new" units in other countries either(at least not in the US and Japan), they replace them with refurbished units and not the same unit you got either. How is this an issue? If the refurbished parts run as good as new then it's fine. Otherwise Apple will have to get a lot stricter on their return policies, as it will cost them more. That's pretty basic math there, and I don't know why China expects special treatment.
foidulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:27 PM   #22
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yeah, I for one feel so much better about myself living in a Western country where Commerce rules the media and the Government.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:01 AM   #23
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaKat View Post
Do the Chinese public buy into this crap? I see something on CNN or any news really, and I don't believe it until I've seen multiple sources, and then I'm still cynical. If the Chinese government was in charge of my news, I'd never believe anything they ever reported. Do the Chinese public actually listen and believe what is said on state run media? I would think state run media would almost be a joke to the general population that it serves.
Old population generally believes it while the young population generally questions it. The Chinese aren't as brainwashed as some people might imagine
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:40 AM   #24
92jlee
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to 92jlee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macist View Post
Ironically, the 'free trade' west can't seem to wait to offshore everything to a country that follows old school protectionist policies. Anything to access a low-wage economy I guess.
Its just so greedy isn't it. The west could easily pay higher wages to their own people manufacturing products but would rather have the profit. Its strange to me, even those I've only ever experienced capitalism I'm embarrassed by human greed and exploitation is "normal".
Old Mar 26, 2013, 03:31 AM   #25
Mr.damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn.8.80 View Post
Yeah, I for one feel so much better about myself living in a Western country where Commerce rules the media and the Government.
If it's the same, why you don't go to live in China ?...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedMicro View Post

You lost all credibility as soon as you quoted CNET ...
  0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues