Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Mr Aussie
macrumors member

Media Hint for Safari

Are there any Media Hint extensions for safari that work just like it?
Mr Aussie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2
blackboxxx
macrumors member

It's not possible to modify system proxy settings using current Safari extension API.
However, it's very easy to configure Media Hint proxy manually. Open System Preferences > Network, select your internet connection, click Advanced > Proxies > Automatic Proxy Configuration and paste this URL: https://mediahint.com/default.pac

It's also a good idea to create a new network location and use it just for Media Hint (at the top of Network preference pane click Location > Edit Locations, then duplicate existing or create a new one and name it "Media Hint").
Then you can easily switch between Automatic (for normal browsing) and Media Hint through  menu > Location.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:56 AM   #3
marveluski
macrumors newbie

Media Hint Safari

Thank you blackboxxx!!
marveluski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 07:04 AM   #4
bkar89
macrumors regular

This works on the iPad too! Thanks!
bkar89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Antgb84
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkar89 View Post
This works on the iPad too! Thanks!
How did ya get it working on your iPad?
Antgb84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2013, 04:45 PM   #6
bkar89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antgb84 View Post
How did ya get it working on your iPad?
Settings -> WiFi -> now hit the blue info button next to your wifi connection. under "HTTP Proxy" Select Auto and paste the URL mentioned above into the given field.

I don't think you have to restart or anything, but can't hurt.
bkar89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2013, 02:17 PM   #7
JolleyMark
macrumors newbie

I am using an iPad 3

This did not work for me in safari, chrome or the bbc iplayer.

Please help?
JolleyMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2014, 02:17 PM   #8
eusie
macrumors newbie

It works for me on my iPad mini. I don't know if it helps, but I first installed media hint on my iMac in the Chrome browser, logged into Netflix which was re-directed to Netlix USA and then added the link mentioned above in my iPad mini settings. Then did a complete shut down and then a restart and it works
Old Apr 3, 2014, 05:25 PM   #9
Dani1234
macrumors newbie

So I did this on my iPad and while it appeared to have worked, whenever I try to watch something it just comes up unable to stream any ideas of how to fix this?
Dani1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 11:30 AM   #10
everfangomanga
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to everfangomanga Send a message via MSN to everfangomanga Send a message via Yahoo to everfangomanga Send a message via Skype™ to everfangomanga
Excellent, this worked perfectly for me. Thanks for this!
everfangomanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 08:42 PM   #11
PW168
macrumors newbie

Media Hint for Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackboxxx View Post
It's not possible to modify system proxy settings using current Safari extension API.
However, it's very easy to configure Media Hint proxy manually. Open System Preferences > Network, select your internet connection, click Advanced > Proxies > Automatic Proxy Configuration and paste this URL: https://mediahint.com/default.pac

It's also a good idea to create a new network location and use it just for Media Hint (at the top of Network preference pane click Location > Edit Locations, then duplicate existing or create a new one and name it "Media Hint").
Then you can easily switch between Automatic (for normal browsing) and Media Hint through  menu > Location.
Thank you!!! This works for me. One question though, by pasting the URL in the Automatic Proxy Config, is this a 7 day freebee or will I have to pay for this later on??
PW168 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Yvi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani1234 View Post
So I did this on my iPad and while it appeared to have worked, whenever I try to watch something it just comes up unable to stream any ideas of how to fix this?
The same here. "Help!"
Yvi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:41 AM   #13
Proxxy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW168 View Post
Thank you!!! This works for me. One question though, by pasting the URL in the Automatic Proxy Config, is this a 7 day freebee or will I have to pay for this later on??
This is what I'm wondering too?

Also. Adding the URL works flawlessly on my macbook but it doesn't work on my Ipad nor iPhone. The tv shows/movies seem to appear in netflix, but they're not able to stream..

Does anyone know why that is?
Proxxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store