Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Is the red leather Smart Cover too high-maintenance?

I got a good deal on an unopened official red leather Smart Cover, and it is currently on its way.

In the meantime, I did a search for tips on maintaining leather Smart Covers and there was a post from a couple years back talking about how frustrating it is to take care of the red leather. Does it still hold true today?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Menel
macrumors 68040

It will wear like an old book. Darken, with oils from hands. Depends on how OCD you are or if you appreciate the patina.

I use mink oil on mine every 3-4 months, simliar to shoes, hat, holsters. It's probably 12-13 mos old now and still in perfect shape, other than the above.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
It will wear like an old book. Darken, with oils from hands. Depends on how OCD you are or if you appreciate the patina.

I use mink oil on mine every 3-4 months, simliar to shoes, hat, holsters. It's probably 12-13 mos old now and still in perfect shape, other than the above.
Maybe I am a bit OCC. How do you carry your iPad around? Do you just pick it up and carry, toss in a bag, etc.?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:26 AM   #4
ct2k7
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
maybe i am a bit occ. How do you carry your ipad around? Do you just pick it up and carry, toss in a bag, etc.?
*OCD.

I don't mind it, I prefer the ageing look.
ct2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:37 AM   #5
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

I wish they offered a red poly cover like for the mini. The poly is much more resistant to obvious aging than the leather. I had a black leather and wound up not caring for it much- especially the way it was aging, scratching, or even the feel of the leather in general.

I'm debating whether or not to pick up a red SmartCase for my iPad 2, because when I had one before it was too loose where you could see a gap at the top through the speaker hole and also it would come away on the edges from the iPad every time you grabbed it or folded the stand- very annoying. I wonder if that problem of fit has been corrected. I have a dark gray Smart Cover in combination with a smoke Belkin snap case, which is nice, but sometimes I feel red would be a nice change as well.
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
Maybe I am a bit OCC. How do you carry your iPad around? Do you just pick it up and carry, toss in a bag, etc.?
It rarely leaves home. On the rare occasion I have a small messenger bag.

Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
Generally use creased back.
Thumb resize.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:32 PM   #7
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
I wish they offered a red poly cover like for the mini. The poly is much more resistant to obvious aging than the leather. I had a black leather and wound up not caring for it much- especially the way it was aging, scratching, or even the feel of the leather in general.

I'm debating whether or not to pick up a red SmartCase for my iPad 2, because when I had one before it was too loose where you could see a gap at the top through the speaker hole and also it would come away on the edges from the iPad every time you grabbed it or folded the stand- very annoying. I wonder if that problem of fit has been corrected. I have a dark gray Smart Cover in combination with a smoke Belkin snap case, which is nice, but sometimes I feel red would be a nice change as well.
i had a smart case with the iPad 3 and it fit nicely
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 02:37 AM   #8
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post

There appear to be third party retailers that provide red poly covers. The quality is unknown, though.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Give it a rubdown with Lexol wipes once in a while and it should be fine.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:41 PM   #10
faster315
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Agreed. At a certain point, I just said "screw it" and after that point the thing started looking well-loved. I didn't see much need to treat the leather with anything fancy. It's not like they use fancy leather anyway, it's super thin and texture-less.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
The problem is that it stiffens and will crack in the grooves (have a look at the last pic above, it starts wrinkeling), something like the Lexol keeps it not only clean but also flexible.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories