Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Jfperkins
macrumors newbie

Do I have a right to be mad? Or am I overreacting?

I've bought Apple computers accessories devices music etc etc since 2000. 5 computers thousands of dollars in music and movies. Going through some old iTunes music the other day I find that 55 songs purchased through the store wont play because I need to enter my old AOL account password (remember when you could do that?) so for the life of me I can't remember the password. AOL has closed my six year old email account due to inactivity so I can't get the password that way. I call Apple and they are very nice of course but say even though they have a record of me buying the songs they cannot authorize them to play unless I can give them the password. So I ask if given the situation I can have a credit for the exact same songs that I purchased. No go. Nothing can be done!

So I feel pissed. I'm a loyal customer and we're talking about 55 credits here. But Apple will do nothing? And yes I should've remembered my password or written it down but this is years and years ago.

But before I write a disgruntled letter to Apple I wanted to get someone else's take. Am I being unreasonable asking for a credit like this? Has this happened to you?
Jfperkins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:00 AM   #2
AngryGerbil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfperkins View Post
I've bought Apple computers accessories devices music etc etc since 2000. 5 computers thousands of dollars in music and movies. Going through some old iTunes music the other day I find that 55 songs purchased through the store wont play because I need to enter my old AOL account password (remember when you could do that?) so for the life of me I can't remember the password. AOL has closed my six year old email account due to inactivity so I can't get the password that way. I call Apple and they are very nice of course but say even though they have a record of me buying the songs they cannot authorize them to play unless I can give them the password. So I ask if given the situation I can have a credit for the exact same songs that I purchased. No go. Nothing can be done!

So I feel pissed. I'm a loyal customer and we're talking about 55 credits here. But Apple will do nothing? And yes I should've remembered my password or written it down but this is years and years ago.

But before I write a disgruntled letter to Apple I wanted to get someone else's take. Am I being unreasonable asking for a credit like this? Has this happened to you?
I work in iOS tech support and we never, ever, ever ask for or require apple id passwords. I don't know who you talked with but 99 times out of 100 the iTunes support people will transfer old apple id purchases to a new apple id account provided you can prove your identity. You can also submit a ticket via expresslane.apple.com.
AngryGerbil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:09 AM   #3
Jfperkins
macrumors newbie

Hmm...I haven't tried the express lane. Thanks, I'll give it a try. I appreciate your help.
Jfperkins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4
zObsidian
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfperkins View Post
so for the life of me I can't remember the password.
I don't think you have any right to be mad at Apple. They aren't responsible for your passwords through AOL or for AOL closing your account due to inactivity. I hope that Apple can find some sort of solution for you, but ultimately this sounds like your fault for not keeping track of your own accounts.
zObsidian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:56 PM   #5
malman89
macrumors 65816

Sounds like a great reason to download ("pirate") versions of the songs you already own, but no longer have access to due to DRM.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Contact them again, I had a similar issue and it was resolved fairly easily.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion