Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Has anyone seen a lightning cable version of this?

White_USB_3.5mm_AUX_Audio_Data_Charger_Cable_for_iPhone_4S_iPhone_4_iPhone_3G_3GS_iPod_Cell_Phone_MP3_amp_MP4CES12582.jpg

I gave away my 30 pin version when the iP5 came out, but it is annoying plugging and unplugging two cables in the car.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I just use the one I have with the lightning cable adapter. :) I kept all my old 30 pin accessories. But no I haven't seen one.

macgaynor

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Same issue here. Have dock adapter which doesn't fit my case. If I find one ill try to remember to post what brand.

reddart

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
TTT

Really want one of these.

I find the audio is superior to the headphone out, and less cable mess as well.

The reason I don't just get the adapter is that my old one finally crapped out, and I was waiting to upgrade from the 4S to 5S before getting a new one (with lighting connector), and assumed these were also available, but I havent been able to find one yet.

I suppose I could get a new "older" connector and buy an adapter, and then at least my wife could also use it with my inherited 4S, though she's not going to use the car much.

reddart

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
OK, I found the reason why (or maybe everyone else knew this, and I'm just the big dummy here)

The lightning interface only has digital audio output, whereas the old 30 pin interface has an analog output, which is why there is not an exact lightning port product like these for the old 30 pin output. So, you need an adapter that includes a digital to analog converter in addition to the type of adapter like post #5. The expensive Apple adapters have the D/A converter, many of the cheapy ones do not.

So the solutions are: use a lightening to 30 pin adapter (that has a D/A converter) with the older 30 pin charging/audio out combo cable, or use a USB lightening cable to charge and a separate audio cable plugged into the headphone out.

So a cable manufacturer could make one of these for the lighting, but it would also need a D/A converter in it as well.

Last edited:

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
This really sucks. The Apple Lightning to 30pin adapters don't work with a case, so now I need to get the Apple adapter cable ?

I just hate the whole idea of having to plug in both the lightning adapter and the 3.5mm stereo plug. Too much of a hassle.

-t

reddart

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
This really sucks. The Apple Lightning to 30pin adapters don't work with a case, so now I need to get the Apple adapter cable ?

I just hate the whole idea of having to plug in both the lightning adapter and the 3.5mm stereo plug. Too much of a hassle.

-t

I got the apple lightning to 30 pin adapter (the cable one) and a new 30 pin charging/audio out cable. it does work, but my case hasn't arrived and I'm not sure if the apple lightning cable will fit with the case (the plug seems a bit fat). I'll probably hog out the case hole if that is the case.

One thing I don't like about this arrangement (besides having to get an adapter) is that phone calls and facetime calls do not route their audio to the "aux out", only to the phones speaker or headphone out. I did prefer hearing my calls over the car stereo vs the phone speaker. I wish there was a setting to allow the audio to come through the aux from a phone call. Skype calls will, but not apple phone/facetime calls.

The audio from music/content does sound good, subjectively better, than through the headphone out...mainly the frequencies seem flatter (a slight bass roll off with the headphone out). And I still like the less cable mess with this arrangement.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I decided to go a completely different route.

Rather than spending $40 on the Apple adapter cable, I'm going to get this ($45 on Amazon):

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U037/

372.jpg

Now I can use one of my many Lightning cables to charge, and audio all goes via BT to the car stereo (connected with 3.5mm aux out).

-t

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
The Apple Lightning to 30pin adapters don't work with a case
Depends on the case. Cases aren't all identical.

The audio from music/content does sound good, subjectively better, than through the headphone out...mainly the frequencies seem flatter (a slight bass roll off with the headphone out).
It's not just subjective. Audio from the Lightning/dock connector will be cleaner as it isn't running through the noisy headphone amp.

reddart

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
That looks perfect, but until I hear some reviews, I wouldn't touch it with my iPhone 5s.
I can see it not working because it isn't Apple certified.
In my case, the Apple adapter plugged into a no-name 30 pin Aux works. I would reckon to guess that if you have a certified lightning adapter, that it won't matter what is plugged in after...but I have no proof of that, other than my one successful experience, so caveat emptor !

gage006

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
That looks perfect, but until I hear some reviews, I wouldn't touch it with my iPhone 5s.
I can see it not working because it isn't Apple certified.

I went ahead and ordered that Belkin Bluetooth. That looks like a great option. No worrying about cases and docking.

I've got the Belkin bluetooth and it's okay but the giant button kinda sucks. It's hit or miss whether you'll end up pausing the music when you try to skip. If I could do it over, I'd get the Kinivo instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450...TF8&colid=3E389HXMSH2XA&coliid=I3BVLGBTZFDI7P

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008

gage006

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
My Belkin came and I am happy so far.
I like that Kinivo because it supports a better audio codec but I am not sure the iphone supports it.

It doesn't. It's really just the auto-connect and better skip controls.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
It doesn't. It's really just the auto-connect and better skip controls.

Thanks, if the sound quality is the same (at least with the iPhone), then I'll keep the Belkin.
I like the magnet holder and you just have to be more deliberate on the skip sequence.
My only issue is that I get dropouts from time to time. It may have more to do with the bluetooth connection in my car (it is a 2008, supports phone but not music).
I'll need to try disconnecting that to see if it helps the issue.
I'd rather have the car bluetooth for phone calls because it displays the caller, of course.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
For those of you using the Belkin or Kinivo bluetooth, how does the audio compare to an aux connection?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I decided to go a completely different route.

Rather than spending $40 on the Apple adapter cable, I'm going to get this ($45 on Amazon):

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U037/

Now I can use one of my many Lightning cables to charge, and audio all goes via BT to the car stereo (connected with 3.5mm aux out).

-t

Question about this - isn't it a bit redundant to have it go via BT with another device? I mean, natively the iPhone can connect to cars (that allow it) and play music via BT. What's the advantage of this?

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Question about this - isn't it a bit redundant to have it go via BT with another device? I mean, natively the iPhone can connect to cars (that allow it) and play music via BT. What's the advantage of this?

Because not all cars have Bluetooth.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Because not all cars have Bluetooth.

This, I know. But, looking at the product page again, it looks like I misread the information. I thought the aux plug goes into the iPhone and then the sound would be transmitted via BT. Apparently, that's not the case, it actually works the other way around. As an aside, BT audio streaming is one of the best updates to the BT profile.

Cool device, I might consider getting it for my dad. Got to see first if he has an aux-in.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
This, I know. But, looking at the product page again, it looks like I misread the information. I thought the aux plug goes into the iPhone and then the sound would be transmitted via BT. Apparently, that's not the case, it actually works the other way around. As an aside, BT audio streaming is one of the best updates to the BT profile.

Cool device, I might consider getting it for my dad. Got to see first if he has an aux-in.

Honest mistake, I apologize if I came across as condescending.

I've heard good things about the Belkin, the only issue I've read about is after a few months some people report drop outs a lot

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.