Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 10, 2013, 06:37 AM   #1
delineato
macrumors newbie

New app: Delineato Pro - a diagramming app

Dear Users

Just wanted to share with your our first MacOS X app.
It's called Delineato Pro and is an inexpensive Mac diagramming app thatís also good for mind mapping, brainstorming, flow charts, organization and architectural charts.

We've tried to build a clutter-free interface to allow you concentrate and focus on the essence of your work.
We've picked up the new trendy concept - WYSIWYN (what you see is what you need) - by trying to show only what users need and creating an inspiring ambience.

Check the Features Highlight List:
* Infinite canvas and retina-displays compatibility;
* Multiple shapes and connectors;
* Drop any image from the Desktop or other app;
* Edit directly, drag-and-drop shapes and connectors from a palette;
* Fullscreen mode;
* Themes;
* Dark mysterious mood or Light grey stylish mood;
* Text on links, shortcuts, full customization;
* Grid, smart alignment guides, smart resizing guides;
* Share: Facebook, Twitter, E-mail, Airdrop, etc.;
* Export transparent or opaque diagrams as PDF, EPS, JPG, etc.

You may also check the tutorial and video-teaser on our website or YouTube channel.

We've been getting great feedback and very interesting numbers. If you're interested drop me a mail to see if I can get you promo codes.

Hope you enjoy the concept and the app itself and we'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
All the best,
Miguel Campos
delineato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Enzedder
macrumors newbie

Visio/Omnigraffle Alternative?

I'm impressed Miguel, clean and simple, I can use this.
Like the other app/desktop drag & drop feature, would be great to see the ability to add additional templates and shapes in a future update?
£4.99 well spent, thanks

Last edited by Enzedder; Apr 10, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Enzedder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:49 AM   #3
delineato
macrumors newbie

Hi Enzedder

Thanks for the kind words.
We're open to every features request so we'll keep that one on our minds.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:50 AM   #4
maflynn

Looks nice, I may give a try. I use Omnigraffle and here's some suggestions.

I'd like to see Visio export/import compatibility
Have you considered an iPad app with synchronization via iCloud or dropbox. I think this would be a killer feature
Increase the number of stencils/shapes
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:35 AM   #5
delineato
macrumors newbie

Hi Maflynn,

We're already working on Vision import/export (one way is easy, the other one not really...).

An iPad and other platforms versions are on our minds, we're trying to figure how to make sure the document type is editable on multiple different platforms and yeah everything syncable through iCloud (as it is already implemented on the Mac version).

If you have any other suggestions, please drop me a line.

Mail me for a promo code.

Thanks,
Miguel
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:16 PM   #6
printz
macrumors regular

Sorry but it takes too many clicks to create a new block. I have to produce a pop-over that won't easily go away, and drag-drop the block into the canvas (instead of just clicking it). To write text into them, I have to double-click them instead of just typing. And they don't resize to fit the text! Also, how do I reshape drawn objects (like turn rectangle into ellipse, etc.)?

You didn't even provide a trial version. At least I didn't pay too much, and I can hope for improvements from now on…
printz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:24 PM   #7
delineato
macrumors newbie

Hi Printz

Yes, there is indeed a bug in the "Start editing immediately" preferences. The user should be able to start typing right away when dropping a shape into the canvas. As it is right now, that is only possible when you create a new shape by clicking the arrow button that pops when a shape is selected (or when changing the connector's end).

Ironically as it may seem, the functionality you mention isn't possible with similar apps that sell for at least 89Ä I think. This doesn't mean we don't agree with your remarks, quite the contrary. Honestly, you've helped us improve the product and we are updating it tomorrow (submitting), since it's very easy to perform the corrections you mention. So kudos for the comments!

As for reshaping the drawn objects (the nodes, since links are ok) we will take more than just a few minutes. Please give us 1-2 days before we resubmit it.

The trial version will be available on the website in the next few days. As you know Apple doesn't allow trials or demos, so we left that important bit for the next days. There is a free Lite version that is still currently under review but we're still considering releasing it or not.

All the best,
-Miguel
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Apple fanboy
macrumors 601

Looks interesting. I could see us using this at work. Any chance of a code to give it a try?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I have been using Delineato Pro all day to take notes on an audiobook I have been listening to. I thought I'd share the results with everyone.

My notes aren't perfect, but I can at least understand them.

This is a great piece of software, and I will absolutely recommend it to everyone. I find it easy to place the shapes, connect them, and customize them to my liking, whether it be size, font, outline, background/text/line color, bolding/italicizing/underlining.

The fact that it displays lines to help you align a little better when you're resizing and centering is a plus too. It's the little things that make it shine the most.

I already talked to Miguel about the iCloud/Dropbox support, but I'd also like to request a way we can change the background color and maybe let us use plain text for like a heading/subheading. You can just change the outline and background to have that effect for now, but a proper way would be nice too.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:57 AM   #10
delineato
macrumors newbie

Nice post Jessica

Yeah iCloud is already included on this version. We'll add the Dropbox option too.

Applefanboy, email me for a promo code.

Thanks
Miguel
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:32 AM   #11
printz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delineato View Post
Hi Printz

Yes, there is indeed a bug in the "Start editing immediately" preferences. The user should be able to start typing right away when dropping a shape into the canvas. As it is right now, that is only possible when you create a new shape by clicking the arrow button that pops when a shape is selected (or when changing the connector's end).

Ironically as it may seem, the functionality you mention isn't possible with similar apps that sell for at least 89Ä I think. This doesn't mean we don't agree with your remarks, quite the contrary. Honestly, you've helped us improve the product and we are updating it tomorrow (submitting), since it's very easy to perform the corrections you mention. So kudos for the comments!

As for reshaping the drawn objects (the nodes, since links are ok) we will take more than just a few minutes. Please give us 1-2 days before we resubmit it.

The trial version will be available on the website in the next few days. As you know Apple doesn't allow trials or demos, so we left that important bit for the next days. There is a free Lite version that is still currently under review but we're still considering releasing it or not.

All the best,
-Miguel
Thank you!
printz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:44 PM   #12
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Just got the App today and I love it. Very easy to use and creates beautiful diagrams. Love the way you can use the drag points to quickly create new connectors and text boxes. I have OmniGraffle and although OmniGraffle as a mature product has more functionality, I can see me using Delineato more as it is so quick and easy to use. Also love the UI, and the lack of inspectors until you edit an object so you can focus on your diagram in full screen mode.

Last edited by James Craner; Apr 12, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
James Craner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:56 AM   #13
Inver
macrumors newbie

This is really nice first start. I've been a Visio user for a decade and an OmniGraffle user for about six months. This is a far easier to use application than either one, obviously without a lot of features (and obviously, it's not trying to match either one). For a simple diagramming tool, which is what I need about 75% of the time, it's pretty impressive. Especially considering it's at version 1.02.

Consider me impressed. I hope this is the start of something special. In particular....

- The print problem needs to be fixed (you've already acknowledged this on your blog). A work around for now is to export as PDF, then print

- Sharing to email, when "email" means MS Outlook 2011, doesn't work. Outlook opens a new email, but the diagram isn't in it (and isn't attached)

- An option to Share to Evernote would be nice (I don't see the need for the DropBox option since I can simply save to my dropbox folder when I choose to save to mac)

- Support for opening, editing, and saving Visio files would be huge. I'm sure it's not simple to do this.

- The ability to add additional shapes, particularly Visio stencils, would also be a game changer.

- An iOS version would work (I think), due to how easy it is to use.

Like I said, nice job on the first release. I look forward to what comes next.

Last edited by Inver; Apr 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
Inver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 04:57 AM   #14
delineato
macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

Thanks for the great feedback

The OPML and Freemind import/export feature has been requested by many users so we're currently working on it.
On our to-do list is also Dropbox and Evernote integration and the ability to change shapes.

Many users have been asking about an iPad version. It's indeed in our plans but we have to be a bit careful in order to guarantee document compatibility between platforms and also we need to think carefully regarding the user experience itself for a tablet.

Best regards!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:25 AM   #15
guy curlewis
macrumors member

Love a promo code

Hi there

I currently use Novamind Pro but would like something simpler for on the go on the laptop.

Can you send me a promo code?

Cheeky I know but you never know

Cheers
guy curlewis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:37 AM   #16
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy curlewis View Post
Hi there

I currently use Novamind Pro but would like something simpler for on the go on the laptop.

Can you send me a promo code?

Cheeky I know but you never know

Cheers
It is already a bargain at GBP 4.99 to be honest. Developers need to feed their family too.

Also great to see that it is currently the 9th most popular App in the UK Mac App store.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:01 PM   #17
henzpwnapple
macrumors member

Honestly, I don't see how I would go back to Visio after using Delineato Pro for a week. I was able to draw the entire brainstorm diagram and context chart right in the meeting of a complex workflow design on my macbook when everyone else is still looking at the whiteboard with expired fading markers..

I have written my suggestions at the app store review, so I will not repeat here. Until I see it here, I thought there isn't a feature for editing immediately. Ooops.

----------

Quote:
Hi guys!

Thanks for the great feedback

The OPML and Freemind import/export feature has been requested by many users so we're currently working on it.
On our to-do list is also Dropbox and Evernote integration and the ability to change shapes.

Many users have been asking about an iPad version. It's indeed in our plans but we have to be a bit careful in order to guarantee document compatibility between platforms and also we need to think carefully regarding the user experience itself for a tablet.

Best regards!
Hi, dear rep! It's great to know that you put into consideration on iPad implementation. What if to chop it into two phases? At least we can read it on iPad with the iCloud advantage, then later version on your roadmap will enable editing? It will be much cooler that I can view (at least) my diagrams on my iPad for presentation or on-the-go meetings without exporting so many versions of it. In terms of editing, personally, it is not at the top of my list.
henzpwnapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:46 AM   #18
delineato
macrumors newbie

Hi guys

@curlewis, sorry but we ran out of promo codes for the current version, drop me a line next week as an update should be coming out pretty soon.

@hendzpwenapple: thanks for your review and I'm glad you enjoy Delineato There's a bug with the "start editing immediately" preference (you have to uncheck and check it again) but it has been fixed with version 1.1 (still waiting for review from Apple...grr....).
As for the iPad, part of our team is sketching some ideas about it but I'll keep you posted with their progress. We're still giving priority in enhancing and bug fixing the Mac version (OPML import/export, change shapes and other features requested by our users).

Best regards,
Miguel
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:32 PM   #19
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by printz View Post
Sorry but it takes too many clicks to create a new block.
I feel the same. I think the app is beautiful, sleek, I like the minimalist design and the contextual menus (and the zen music ). But I would like to be able to just add a similar block by just pressing enter (or some other similar short cut). I generally prefer short cuts to mouse clicks, because it's faster to work that way (for me, at least).

Otherwise, the OPML/ Evernote/ Dropbox integration sounds great.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:57 PM   #20
pkshiu
macrumors newbie

Quick Review

This is a very promising app. I bought it just to try it out. Reviewed here but this is the diagram (of course):
pkshiu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 01:19 PM   #21
delineato
macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

Thanks for the support, tips and ideas.

@pkshiu: wow! pretty cool you made the review using the app We had originally implemented align options besides the ones that come with the current version but we were having some real problems while testing them so we removed it before the launch. we're still working on it for version 1.2

I wish all users made constructive critics and gave real feedback like you guys have been doing. We've been spammed with false reviews saying that the app crashes immediately, etc. but we haven't received a single email contacting our support about these crashes (our support usually replies in less than 24 hours)... (I also love 1-star reviews that don't say anything except "too minimalistic" or "can't change shape after placing so it's useless!")...seriously?

I'll share a small episode with you guys to illustrate this kind of problem that affects Delineato and other great Mac apps out there.
On the german store we had to report a review from an user who gave 1 star with a review that only said "trash" (but in german) and with an username as "trash" too! C'mon, what's wrong with this kind of people? I don't go ahead and spend money buying another mind mapping or diagramming tool or whatsoever just to post a false review...geeezzz!

I believe that, unfortunately, there are competitors(?) trying to "kill" our app which is pretty sad...

We are working hard to make Delineato a better tool and we're trying to implement the majority of features requested by the many users that have been supporting us.
So sorry for the long speech but thank you for all your support and clear judgement!

In a few days we'll post the final list of new features coming with version 1.2
Old May 1, 2013, 01:57 PM   #22
James Craner
macrumors 68000

delineato,

I wonder if you have a problem with your email as I submitted a issue via email to info@delineato.com on the 21st April and never got a reply.

The email mentioned the following problem :

I am trying to export a project as a transparent png file, the text on the arrows has some background shading which does not look very good (light grey shading around 'No' and 'Yes'). Is there a way to remove it, so the background around the arrow text is transparent ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	4Ds_Flow_Chart_ver2.png
Views:	36
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	410447

Last edited by James Craner; May 1, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
James Craner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:42 PM   #23
delineato
macrumors newbie

Hi James

yes we received your email (you even attached the project's document) on the 21st @ 10:25 and my colleague replied @ 11:47 same day (GMT times). Since the mail didn't came back it might have gone to spam or there was a server problem?

In any case, please find the original reply below (it's on the to do list for 1.2 version)
All the best,
-Miguel

"Hello James!

Thanks for using Delineato Pro and for your bug report!

Yes that is a known bug (and according to our side it should be white not grey but we're working to make it fully transparent) and we'll try to solve it for version 1.1 or 1.2 (we're trying to prioritize the requests we've been receiving...).

So sorry for the trouble. If you have any other bug report or feature request, please let us know!

Best regards
"
Old May 1, 2013, 05:31 PM   #24
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hi James

yes we received your email (you even attached the project's document) on the 21st @ 10:25 and my colleague replied @ 11:47 same day (GMT times). Since the mail didn't came back it might have gone to spam or there was a server problem?

In any case, please find the original reply below (it's on the to do list for 1.2 version)
All the best,
-Miguel

"Hello James!

Thanks for using Delineato Pro and for your bug report!

Yes that is a known bug (and according to our side it should be white not grey but we're working to make it fully transparent) and we'll try to solve it for version 1.1 or 1.2 (we're trying to prioritize the requests we've been receiving...).

So sorry for the trouble. If you have any other bug report or feature request, please let us know!

Best regards
"
Great Thanks - get that fixed and I will put a review up, Love the App
Old May 2, 2013, 11:26 AM   #25
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Quote:
Dear Users

Just wanted to share with your our first MacOS X app.
It's called Delineato Pro and is an inexpensive Mac diagramming app thatís also good for mind mapping, brainstorming, flow charts, organization and architectural charts.

We've tried to build a clutter-free interface to allow you concentrate and focus on the essence of your work.
We've picked up the new trendy concept - WYSIWYN (what you see is what you need) - by trying to show only what users need and creating an inspiring ambience.

Check the Features Highlight List:
* Infinite canvas and retina-displays compatibility;
* Multiple shapes and connectors;
* Drop any image from the Desktop or other app;
* Edit directly, drag-and-drop shapes and connectors from a palette;
* Fullscreen mode;
* Themes;
* Dark mysterious mood or Light grey stylish mood;
* Text on links, shortcuts, full customization;
* Grid, smart alignment guides, smart resizing guides;
* Share: Facebook, Twitter, E-mail, Airdrop, etc.;
* Export transparent or opaque diagrams as PDF, EPS, JPG, etc.

You may also check the tutorial and video-teaser on our website or YouTube channel.

We've been getting great feedback and very interesting numbers. If you're interested drop me a mail to see if I can get you promo codes.

Hope you enjoy the concept and the app itself and we'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
All the best,
Miguel Campos
Appshopper has listed this app for free?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store