Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1
bob7up
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Should I buy a rMBP 13" now or wait for Haswell?

I am currently thinking about selling my 2012 MBA 13" and buying a rMBP 13", although I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy now or wait for Haswell and hopefully a rMBP 13" refresh.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 3GHz/8/512 - HomeBuilt PC 3570k 4GHz, GTX 680 EVGA 4GB SLI, 16GB Corsair Dominator RAM, Intel 310 120GB SSD - Samsung Galaxy S 3 8GB - iPad 4 16GB
bob7up is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:05 PM   #2
wlossw
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
If you buy one at least get a refurb.
wlossw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Rob.G
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Oregon
Yeah at this point, go refurb or wait for Haswell.

Rob
__________________
Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7/16gb/256gb SSD/1tb HD
Late 2013 rMBP 13 i5/16gb/512gb SSD
Galaxy Note 3 32gb AT&T
Rob.G is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:17 PM   #4
IlikeMacsSoMuch
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Blainville, Province of Quebec
You already have a 2012 MBA, you might Haswell wait

Joking aside, you probably are in no rush so I would wait. When the new ones comes out, if you still want the actual model, go to futureshop or bestbuy at that time and they will be on sale or buy it refurb at Apple at that time and they might even be cheaper.

In 2008 I bought the early 2008 15 inches MBP the week when the fall 15 inches came out, I saved something like 250$. at futureshop
__________________
If you're not part of the solution, don't be a part of the problem
IlikeMacsSoMuch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040
 
Orlandoech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
I'd wait.

I'd wait for Wishingwell. Specs are suppose to be killer.
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
B...
macrumors 68000
 
B...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoech.com View Post
I'd wait.

I'd wait for Wishingwell. Specs are suppose to be killer.
You say the same thing on every "should I wait" thread. While I agree that one should not wait forever, there is nothing wrong with waiting for a few months, if you don't need a computer now, for a computer with better specs and a few more features. Not all people will wait for infinity; some just do not feel comfortable buying a new computer when a brand new one is just 4-5 months away. I am waiting for Haswell; that doesn't mean I'll be waiting for Broadwell, Skylake or Skymont.
B... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:23 PM   #7
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by B... View Post
You say the same thing on every "should I wait" thread. While I agree that one should not wait forever, there is nothing wrong with waiting for a few months, if you don't need a computer now, for a computer with better specs and a few more features. Not all people will wait for infinity; some just do not feel comfortable buying a new computer when a brand new one is just 4-5 months away. I am waiting for Haswell; that doesn't mean I'll be waiting for Broadwell, Skylake or Skymont.
Then why ask the question?
__________________
ACSA, ACMT
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:28 PM   #8
B...
macrumors 68000
 
B...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
Then why ask the question?
What? The question about should I buy a computer now? People ask that because everyone has a different situation. In some situations people have a computer which died, and they need it to get work done. In that case, buying a new one is a must. Or in other cases, when the new generation is a year away, people should not wait in most situations. But around now, when you have a perfectly good 2012 MBA and Haswell is 5 months away, waiting is a good choice.
B... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:42 PM   #9
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by B... View Post
What? The question about should I buy a computer now? People ask that because everyone has a different situation. In some situations people have a computer which died, and they need it to get work done. In that case, buying a new one is a must. Or in other cases, when the new generation is a year away, people should not wait in most situations. But around now, when you have a perfectly good 2012 MBA and Haswell is 5 months away, waiting is a good choice.
Again, why ask the question then? Each of the cases you pointed out are clear cut, based on your own diagnosis.

1. Computer dead? Buy a new one.
2. Computer outdated, but close to refresh and can wait? Wait.
3. Computer outdated, but refresh is far out and can't wait? Buy a new one.

At the end of the day, the question can be reduced to: "Am I in a position to wait or do I need to buy one right now?"

I will be jumped on shortly with comments like: "This is a forum! People can ask questions!" and "Everyone's situation is different!"

The answer to both is, of course. But a few moments of thought would lead a person to their answer.
__________________
ACSA, ACMT
calderone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040
 
Orlandoech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
The question is idiotic.

You're asking someone to make the decision for you. Or you're asking for people to manipulate your thought process. Or you're asking for someone to give you information to justify the decision one way or the other.

It's pathetic.

If you want now, then buy now. If you don't care and can wait, then wait.

If you want now and want the newer one too, buy now and resell when the new one arrives and pay the difference.

It's not rocket science. It's simple.

But really, wait forever. It's more cost effective.
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:18 PM   #11
B...
macrumors 68000
 
B...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
Again, why ask the question then? Each of the cases you pointed out are clear cut, based on your own diagnosis.

1. Computer dead? Buy a new one.
2. Computer outdated, but close to refresh and can wait? Wait.
3. Computer outdated, but refresh is far out and can't wait? Buy a new one.

At the end of the day, the question can be reduced to: "Am I in a position to wait or do I need to buy one right now?"

I will be jumped on shortly with comments like: "This is a forum! People can ask questions!" and "Everyone's situation is different!"

The answer to both is, of course. But a few moments of thought would lead a person to their answer.
Exactly, and I agree 100%. However, I don't think the answer is to give the OP a hyperbole saying "Wait forever while you're at it!" The answer above would have been good. That was my point.
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:25 PM   #12
karpich1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
There are two schools of thought...

1) Just buy it now
You're never going to win the waiting game: the next greatest thing is around the corner. And that "corner" is constantly moving since Apple isn't THAT consistent with their release schedule (recent iMacs as an example).

Meanwhile for all we know, the next release might just be a minor speed bump and not a Haswell. Rumors are just speculation, Apple isn't exactly known to be open with their release schedule or specs.




2) Haswell might actually be a decent bump for the 13"
Haswell's biggest "bump" is the Integrated Graphics Card. So, while the 15" MacBook Pro won't see a major bump due to having a Discreet GPU, the 13" will supposedly see a nice improvement.



Considering it sounds like you already have a decent machine I'd personally wait. But if you had an older machine I'd say get one now.
karpich1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:04 AM   #13
nando4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Wait for Haswell. The iGPU will be faster and the CPU + chipset heavily optimized to improve battery life.
__________________
13" cMBP 2.5Ghz 8GB 500GB HD4k GTX660Ti@x2.2 eGPU (TH05) 3dmk6/vant.gpu/11.gpu=18569/24363/7810
12" HP 2570P i7-3740QM@3.9Ghz 8GB 500GB HD4k GTX770@x1.2Opt eGPU 3dmk6/vant.gpu/11.gpu=28209/31015/9634
nando4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:17 AM   #14
JHUFrank
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Wait for Haswell. No sense jumping in now, especially since you have a nice machine anyway.
__________________
13" 11/2013 refurb RMBPro, 16gigs ram, 512 gig SSD ;
Lenovo X220, 16 gigs ram, 512 gig SSD, 1TB Hybrid
SG iPhone 6 Plus 64GB; Lenovo and Apple Fanboy
JHUFrank is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Tags
haswell, macbook, pro. sell, retina

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy now rMBP? or wait for Haswell? bbishop93 MacBook Pro 167 Jun 20, 2013 07:32 PM
Buy rMBP now and resell or wait for Haswell sarakn MacBook Pro 6 Jun 12, 2013 12:24 PM
Buy open box 15" rMBP for $2199 or wait for Haswell? ProMod MacBook Pro 60 May 24, 2013 07:57 AM
Buy rMBP 15" for $1700 or wait for haswell appl3kill MacBook Pro 25 May 7, 2013 01:37 PM
After spec bump of 15 rMBP: buy now or wait to Haswell? cntwtfrmynwmbp MacBook Pro 63 Feb 21, 2013 11:53 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC