Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:35 AM   #1
danielwerner
macrumors member

External hard drive on Mac Mini as Time Capsule?

Hi,

I'm looking to use my external hard drive connected to my Mac Mini as a Time Capsule? I want to backup both the Mac Mini AND my Macbook Pro (via Wifi) to this external drive.

How do I make it work? What do I enable on the Mac mini for the Macbook to find the external drive over the wifi? All guides are so confusing. Do I need to have an Airport router for this, or will it work over wifi on any router?

Thanks!
danielwerner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:41 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwerner View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to use my external hard drive connected to my Mac Mini as a Time Capsule? I want to backup both the Mac Mini AND my Macbook Pro (via Wifi) to this external drive.

How do I make it work? What do I enable on the Mac mini for the Macbook to find the external drive over the wifi? All guides are so confusing. Do I need to have an Airport router for this, or will it work over wifi on any router?

Thanks!
Open Sharing in System Preferences on the Mini, then check the File Sharing box, n the right pane add the external to Shared Folders and Add the User on the MBP as Read/Write.
That's it, you should be able to see the Shared drive on the MBP and use it as a backup drive.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:48 AM   #3
danielwerner
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Open Sharing in System Preferences on the Mini, then check the File Sharing box, n the right pane add the external to Shared Folders and Add the User on the MBP as Read/Write.
That's it, you should be able to see the Shared drive on the MBP and use it as a backup drive.
Ooh, that sounds great. Weither I have an Airport or another router shouldn't matter, right?

Also, there shouldn't be a higher incidence in corrupted data and such with this solution? I've heard that the only thing guaranteed to work safely is a Time Capsule, but perhaps that's just propaganda?
danielwerner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:49 AM   #4
dimme
macrumors 6502a

I am doing the same thing, but to make the time machine reliable and bulletproof. I installed server on the mini, before server the back up would fail or take for ever to finish. No problem what so ever after installing server.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:40 AM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwerner View Post
Ooh, that sounds great. Weither I have an Airport or another router shouldn't matter, right?

Also, there shouldn't be a higher incidence in corrupted data and such with this solution? I've heard that the only thing guaranteed to work safely is a Time Capsule, but perhaps that's just propaganda?
Nothing will be failsafe, the best solution is physically connected but even then it is never 100% but better than wireless.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:43 AM   #6
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

Im doing the same thing too. Are there any potential problems in using the same external hard drive for time machining two macs?
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:27 AM   #7
dimme
macrumors 6502a

No issues here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamerica80 View Post
Im doing the same thing too. Are there any potential problems in using the same external hard drive for time machining two macs?
I have a external 2gb drive currently backing up two MacBook pros and the mini server. Running 9 months with out issue.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:05 AM   #8
DJLC
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamerica80 View Post
Aside from having all your eggs in one basket, no. Time Machine will keep backups from different Macs separated on the drive.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking