Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:26 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Initiates Replacement Program for 3rd Generation Apple TVs With Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues

Apple has notified its retail stores, authorized resellers, and AppleCare employees about WiFi issues being experienced by a small portion of its third generation Apple TVs, reports 9to5Mac. The units are having issues locating and joining WiFi networks and maintaining a connection.
Quote:
Apple has determined that a very small number of Apple TV (3rd generation) products might experience one of these Wi-Fi related connectivity issues:

Cannot locate network

Unable to join network

Dropped or intermittent connection.
Apple technicians are authorized to replace affected products for two years from the original date of purchase at no charge to the customer after verifying that the devices are running software version 5.2.1 and that there are no third party interference issues.

The Apple TVs experiencing connectivity problems feature the following serial numbers:

The third generation Apple TV, which features support for 1080p video, was first released in March of last year. It was later tweaked in late January to include a smaller A5 chip.

Update: According to several readers, Apple has acknowledged that it initially erred in referring to the character pairs appearing the third and fourth positions of the serial number. The listed pairs would actually occur in the fourth and fifth positions.

Article Link: Apple Initiates Replacement Program for 3rd Generation Apple TVs With Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
first. haha naw apple tv is a good product never had wifi issues with mine
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:34 PM   #3
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

Oh wow, I've actually had mine replaced twice due to this. My third unit seems to be doing well, but this is great to know.

Also: what's the best news about this is seeing Apple actually acknowledge a problem. Too often they just remain silent or deny there's a problem, which is extremely frustrating
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
Glad to know they are admitting there may be an issue and are replacing units which have the issue. Mine seems to be okay.
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Azadre
macrumors 6502

Is there any chance this also affects the iPhone 4S? My 4S has terrible transfer speeds while connected to my home router. Two MBPs connect without issue.
Azadre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Aeolius
macrumors 6502a

Where are instructions for fixing an AppleTV "bricked" by the last update?
Aeolius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:43 PM   #7
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Although I don't have trouble connecting, I do notice that sometimes NetFlix will downgrade to crappy. blocky video... Even if speedtest.net shows a constant speed of 30 mbps...

Will check my serial number now...

EDIT: nope... had it been 4th and 5th alphanumerical it would have been yep... Feels like missing the last number of the lottery.... well, maybe not...

Last edited by GenesisST; Apr 15, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
GenesisST is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:45 PM   #8
you people smh
macrumors regular

typical apple response

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinhd View Post
Oh wow, I've actually had mine replaced twice due to this. My third unit seems to be doing well, but this is great to know.

Also: what's the best news about this is seeing Apple actually acknowledge a problem. Too often they just remain silent or deny there's a problem, which is extremely frustrating
This is a welcome change from their old reliable "you placed it by your tv wrong"
you people smh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:46 PM   #9
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
Although I don't have trouble connecting, I do notice that sometimes NetFlix will downgrade to crappy. blocky video... Even if speedtest.net shows a constant speed of 30 mbps...

Will check my serial number now...
Yeah, I just picked up two new ATV3s, and neither are having any issues yet, but I'm going to cross check my serials just to know I have an option _if_ they do start acting up...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

ahh..So close. I was off by one character.

There goes getting a free Apple TV.

Ha !
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Mine didn't last 5 mins connected. I had already sent it for replacement about 2 months ago and my 'new' refurbished replacement unit has been working great so far.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:49 PM   #12
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
ahh..So close. I was off by one character.

There goes getting a free Apple TV.

Ha !
Same here, but it is not a free Apple TV, you did pay for it before...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:49 PM   #13
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinhd View Post

To their staff. They haven't sent a public notice like the Seagate hard drive thing. And there is nothing yet about refunding out of warranty repairs etc
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:55 PM   #14
soya
macrumors regular

What about the iPhone 5, Apple ?? 800000 views, 4000 replies and still no replacement program ? https://discussions.apple.com/thread...=4170&tstart=0
soya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:17 PM   #15
Rumple
macrumors member

Mine works but more often buggy, and can not connect to my itunes most of the time. That is a pain in the rear being the main reason I own an apple tv. Tons of netflix connection errors where i'm about ready to give up on using it at all. I have no idea if mine is bad it seemed ok before the last update.

I like to add mine has no problem connecting to my home network/extreme base station just connecting to my mac ( waking it up), and netflix servers.
Rumple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:17 PM   #16
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

My serial is DY5H9DT2DRHN. Am I eligible? It says the 3rd and 4th but the H9 is the 4th and 5th alpanumeric letters.
applefanDrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:18 PM   #17
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

the timing couldn't be better . ill be within a mile of the Apple Store this Friday and will be replacing this Badboy .
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Krazy Bill
Banned

Well, crap. I'm on the list. Apple just can't do Wi-Fi. Be it a signal loss on my MBP or the inability to sync with iTunes.

Yeah, I know... I'm probably holding it wrong.
Krazy Bill is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:25 PM   #19
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Well, crap. I'm on the list. Apple just can't do Wi-Fi. Be it a signal loss on my MBP or the inability to sync with iTunes.

Yeah, I know... I'm probably holding it wrong.
did you try connecting rabbit ears to it ?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:30 PM   #20
mattroman246
macrumors 6502

Mine ends in DRHN but does not have the other alphanumeric characters. Seriously the ********* airplay ever, songs just stop. Guess I'll bring it down to them and have it checked out for sure
Game Center ID: matthewdanger
mattroman246 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:32 PM   #21
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanDrew View Post
My serial is DY5H9DT2DRHN. Am I eligible? It says the 3rd and 4th but the H9 is the 4th and 5th alpanumeric letters.
I wouldn't think you are officially eligible, but if you're having problems it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Mine is covered in that group but I haven't ever had a problem with WiFi, save for the occasional Netflix bug. I'll try to remember to take it in next time I'm by the Apple store, but it isn't really a priority for me.
T5BRICK is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:42 PM   #22
Steve.P.JobsFan
macrumors 6502a

Just called them -- they're overnighting a new one to me for free and they gave me AppleCare for $19 instead of $29.

Apple TV | 3rd Generation
Steve.P.JobsFan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:48 PM   #23
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.P.JobsFan View Post
Just called them -- they're overnighting a new one to me for free and they gave me AppleCare for $19 instead of $29.

do you have to send the old one back ?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:56 PM   #24
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomtip View Post
do you have to send the old one back ?
... Surely you're kidding.

Of course you do.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:58 PM   #25
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502