Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I guess I'm getting used to 15 inch, but I don't know I just thought that maybe there is a chance that one day will come back in return gloriously in some other form but now I'm kind of just realizing that 15 inches isn't really that much smaller is it?

I guess I just have to settle I realize that this is now the de facto standard of what the laptop as it should be.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
It seems unlikely.

Which is disappointing as a 17" retina would likely be lighter than a 15" unibody.

I think if Apple were to ever bring it back, it would have to be released as the flagship model, released at least alongside if not before the smaller models, and given far more fanfare relative to the smaller models than usual. Considering the number of times Apple has released the 17" a couple of months after the 15", with the same specs, and a very inflated price, it's surprising those particular models ever sold at all.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
no way that thing is humongous and nasty

But it is very helpful for people who need the larger screen space without plugging it in to an external moniter. I wouldn't categorize any Apple computer as "nasty".

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I would be very surprised if they brought it back. That would make them look like HP to me ... all scatter-brained ("Guys, we're pulling out of the PC business. Nice knowing you." One Week Later: "Guys, we changed our minds. We're back into PC's. HP rocks! *high-five*")

15" is the largest laptop I'll deal with. I used to have a 17", but it was too cumbersome lugging it around. The weight wasn't the pain, it was just the size. Too bulky.

I would go 13" if I could, but dual core CPU is a deal breaker to me. Dedicated GPU is nice, but these days I'm not so convinced that I would miss it. I tried the whole gaming on a laptop thing, but compared to a desktop, the experience was sub-par. Throw that in with how little gaming I do now compared to 5 or 6 years ago, and the fact that I don't do any video editing, and I don't have much need for a dedicated GPU in a laptop.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
A 17" truly aimed at professionals who do intensive field work would be nice. Especially if they give it a removable battery with hot swapping. It would be nice to have one offering with that option. I don't think it will happen though.

There is an interesting tug of war between apple as a consumer brand and their industry clients at the moment. The money is obviously in consumer electronics but apple's brand credibility remains somewhat rooted in the design/film/photography/education industries and if they lose that I think the brand suffers.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
what ever.

I guess I just have to settle I realize that this is now the de facto standard of what the laptop as it should be.

^

yah just um keep telling yourself that. "what the laptop as it should be"???? what???? it is a notebook device. no one knows what the 'standard' is anymore, things are changing every day. i'm staying positive and the 17"MBP will regain its rightful place in our PROsumer market.

----------

15" is the largest laptop I'll deal with. I used to have a 17", but it was too cumbersome lugging it around. The weight wasn't the pain, it was just the size. Too bulky.

The words bulky and cumbersome do not go with the 17"MBP ever. You are all so easy, with your rose tinted retina shades on, slim vision, extreme diet craze consumer attitudes are really the driving force for apple's demise and FAIL in the PROsumer notebook area of interest. Yes, apple has very much become an IOS craze operation, focusing mainly and narrowly, so exclusively on teens who still live at home and those who love to spend on CONsumer gadgets. There are still those of us out there, hello, who are quite happy to dish out four thousand bucks for a boutique 17" MBP to serve our productive needs - thank you very much. We're gaining muscles and a strong back bone while we're at it by the way!

It should be no surprise if the 17"MBP came back - it is supposed to.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
But it is very helpful for people who need the larger screen space without plugging it in to an external moniter. I wouldn't categorize any Apple computer as "nasty".

People keep repeating that argument, but I really don't understand how it is even valid. Screen space = usable resolution. And the 15" retina already offers more real screen estate than the 17" MBP. So by getting the 15" rMBP you are getting a faster machine with a vastly better screen and connectivity, which is also much lighter. The reason 17" is not coming back is because it is was a niche machine with very limited sales. And Apple's strategy seems to be going into the direction of an 'universal laptop' instead.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I would love to see the 17" return, only I fear Apple will stick to the same old recipe, larger display with higher resolution little else. Personally I would prefer Apple designed the 17" to be more of a mobile workstation offering many options similar to the ThinkPad 530`s. The lack of differentiation always put me off the larger MBP.

I recently came across a new unused Late 2011 17" MBP and although it`s heavily discounted and was tempted, I rather felt I was buying into yesteryear`s tech and barring the display the 17" offers little over my Late 2011 15" let alone my 15" Retina.

Realistically Apple dropped the 17" due to poor sales, nor are they shy of asking a premium prices. So for me the chances are slight of a comeback, as too few are in need of such a large portable...

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
no way... I think that there is no market for such a thing... so expensive and so big to carry around....

MadTester

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Well I still have my old 17"MBP and it's still running like a charm. Have recently put ML on it to see how it runs(even though I think I'm going to revert it back to SL an replace the shabby OD with an sad).

The argument for the 15" retina has more screen real estate? hmm.. well I'm not sure of that but having a 17" hd matt screen is absolutely beautiful. I've looked at the retina MBP's and in my personal opinion, yeh colours etc are great but not for me.

Each to their own I guess... I wouldn't say no to spending a couple of grand if they bought a 17" model out.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
I can't remember the last time Apple brought back a discontinued product.

All signs point to No.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
The words bulky and cumbersome do not go with the 17"MBP ever. You are all so easy, with your rose tinted retina shades on, slim vision, extreme diet craze consumer attitudes are really the driving force for apple's demise and FAIL in the PROsumer notebook area of interest. Yes, apple has very much become an IOS craze operation, focusing mainly and narrowly, so exclusively on teens who still live at home and those who love to spend on CONsumer gadgets. There are still those of us out there, hello, who are quite happy to dish out four thousand bucks for a boutique 17" MBP to serve our productive needs - thank you very much. We're gaining muscles and a strong back bone while we're at it by the way!

It should be no surprise if the 17"MBP came back - it is supposed to.

I just have to believe that you're not being serious here. I have to, because otherwise my faith in humanity will probably go do some serious cliff diving.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I just have to believe that you're not being serious here. I have to, because otherwise my faith in humanity will probably go do some serious cliff diving.

Do a post search on that user and all your questions will be answered ;)

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
It is the consumer that is ruining apple for pro users, the more ipads and macbooks they sell makes the mac pro and macbook pro 17inch look like its not selling at all.

15039_437160759710253_258541321_n.jpg

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
no way that thing is humongous and nasty

So much unfounded hatred. Have you ever used one?

I owned one. It wasn't that heavy to me. The 15" retina is lighter, but aside from awkwardness factor, the 17" was completely portable.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I owned one. It wasn't that heavy to me. The 15" retina is lighter, but aside from awkwardness factor, the 17" was completely portable.

I never said it was heavy, I said it was bulky. Within the context of my post, bulkiness and weight are not the same thing. I even stated as much.

The weight wasn't the pain, it was just the size. Too bulky.

Do a post search on that user and all your questions will be answered ;)

Silly me. Here I was, thinking that there was no way a human being can get so emotional over an inanimate object. Significant other, a child, or other family member or close personal friend sure, but inanimate object? I don't get it at all, and apparently I'm a sorry excuse for a human being by not getting it ... so be it.

At this point, I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen some sort of 17" Manifesto written up somewhere and linked to in forum signatures.

Last edited:

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
So much unfounded hatred. Have you ever used one?

i have used one and i own a 15 cmbp and a 15 rmbp and the 15cmbp is such a clunker i wouldnt know what to do with a 17 i would throw it in the trash

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I never said it was heavy, I said it was bulky. Within the context of my post, bulkiness and weight are not the same thing. I even stated as much.

It seems I misread, but yeah that is the one thing that annoys me. It's somewhat large so it's easy to bump it into things. I wouldn't want to transport it without a notebook case. I've used a backpack when I needed to carry a bunch of other stuff as well.

At this point, I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen some sort of 17" Manifesto written up somewhere and linked to in forum signatures.

That would be really funny. I should make one:D

i have used one and i own a 15 cmbp and a 15 rmbp and the 15cmbp is such a clunker i wouldnt know what to do with a 17 i would throw it in the trash

That is still overly dramatic. Notebooks reached the point of good enough in terms of portability long ago, yet an extra pound and a half makes the 15" cMBP a clunker compared to the revised version? The only annoying thing as I have mentioned is that it's somewhat awkward in size and shape.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
The surprising truth is that I don't miss the 17 at all right now psychologically. Having been using the 15--that's what I realized.

I don't know if I could have felt like this when it existed, but as of right now I am no where near as upset about not having a 17 as I figured I would be.

The most honest way to describe it is its more like I learned a lesson, as if now I realize that 15 was the sweet spot the whole time. But I didn't come to this conclusion because I was forced to by not having a 17 available to purchase, but rather that the time spent with the 15 made me satisfactorily convinced that it was the right size all along and it was the Small/Medium/Large mentality that made me decide that large was automatically better than medium.

But now I realize I don't NEED that extra space, even on a purely ocular level. This size is simply more aesthetic and I understand that now...

I feel at peace with the situation.

Last edited:

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
The 15" might seem like it's 'big' if you're 5' 110lbs.

@ 6'1, 235lbs, the 17" is absolutely where it's at for a guy my size that does professional level mobile development.

Apple, you've got until my AppleCare runs out - February 25th, 2014. If you don't have a 17"+ MBP out by then, I'm out of here.

It's a shame, too, as that one thought is what's keeping me from investing heavily into the Apple ecosystem. I'm not investing thousands of dollars into an ecosystem I may be forced out of in two years, sorry.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Too be honest, the only real advantage the 17in had was it's display. With even 13in rMBP being able to scale 17in class resolutions, and since the 17in didn't offer any advantage performance-wise, it does kind of make since why it got cut as much as I think it was a very nice machine.

The price of a retina 17in would be OUTRAGEOUS though.(like $2500 starting, 8GB 256 SSD)

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
I encourage you.

It doesn't matter about anyone's "faith in humanity", the facts are addressed and the PROsumers vote with their cash in hand. Please don't do as so many have done before you and cliff dive, not a bright idea ever.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.