Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
...and your point is?....

Too be honest, the only real advantage the 17in had was it's display. With even 13in rMBP being able to scale 17in class resolutions, and since the 17in didn't offer any advantage performance-wise, it does kind of make since why it got cut as much as I think it was a very nice machine.

The price of a retina 17in would be OUTRAGEOUS though.(like $2500 starting, 8GB 256 SSD)

PROsumers will pay any price for a powerful production tool because it is actually what we will need. "The only real advantage the 17in had was it'sdisplay." Really? Based on whom, 89% of CONsumers, those who do not create jobs, who want the latest useless, thin and light troublesome gadgets?

Queen6

macrumors G4
PROsumers will pay any price for a powerful production tool because it is actually what we will need. "The only real advantage the 17in had was it'sdisplay." Really? Based on whom, 89% of CONsumers, those who do not create jobs, who want the latest useless, thin and light troublesome gadgets?

I would happily part with the $$$$ for a 17 of the right spec, however it`s unlikely to be brought back based on the poor sales and Apples history. Even so if Apple does revive the 17 it will be no more than a 15 with a larger display, personally I want more.

Only way I see the 17 returning is if demand picks up for a mobile platform that can edit 4K natively, then there may be a slight chance. As for Prosumer vs Consumer we will have a clear indication this year with the coming of the new Mac Pro...

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
To make the 17" viable they'd really need to market it strongly towards industry and give it features that the consumer pro line doesn't have. Removable battery with hotswapping, higher specs, more serviceability, etc. It would probably need to be in a separate line from the current models.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

I stand by what I said. I'm still not seeing what makes the 17in so much more Pro than the other 15in.

Based on previous iterations of the 17in, a 17in retina pro would just be a 15in rMBP with a larger physical screen with *maybe* a few extra ports. Same GT 650M, same RAM, same SSD.

I would totally agree with you if Apple would put a better GPU or dual SSDs, or maybe a desktop CPU. But again, based upon the past, a 17in would have no advantage in any of these areas.

Yes, I'm not "pro" image, vid, or music editor. As an Engineering student, I DO use my cMBP for CAD and it works just fine. Hell, many engineering students and faculty are doing CAD on 13in MBPs, so again I'm not seeing what the fuss is about.

To me, it sounds like you just like the screen size and you are butt-hurt about it. I understand your pain, but you don't need to make a scene over it.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
A new 17" cMBP is required with:

- Minimum 4-core Hyperthreading CPU with 4GHz base speed
- 3D Retina touchscreen
- BDXL burner
- 10GBase-T
- ExpressCard 2.0
- Thunderbolt 2.0
- Gigabit WiFi
- 3x eSATAp/USB 3.0 ports instead of plain USB 3.0
- DDR4
- removable battery

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
A new 17" cMBP is required with:

- Minimum 4-core Hyperthreading CPU with 4GHz base speed
- 3D Retina touchscreen
- BDXL burner
- 10GBase-T
- ExpressCard 2.0
- Thunderbolt 2.0
- Gigabit WiFi
- 3x eSATAp/USB 3.0 ports instead of plain USB 3.0
- DDR4
- removable battery

Don't forget about 2TB SSD standard! And a coffee warmer, that is the very key to the success of a PROsumers!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Don't forget about 2TB SSD standard! And a coffee warmer, that is the very key to the success of a PROsumers!

No, I just want to buy it with a cheap 2.5" hard disk, and then put any fitting disk I want.

It should still allow fitting a 12.5mm hard drive.

As there's no 4GHz CPU around the corner I can wait at least a year for the components to be created.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
I respect this.

I stand by what I said. I'm still not seeing what makes the 17in so much more Pro than the other 15in.

Based on previous iterations of the 17in, a 17in retina pro would just be a 15in rMBP with a larger physical screen with *maybe* a few extra ports. Same GT 650M, same RAM, same SSD.

I would totally agree with you if Apple would put a better GPU or dual SSDs, or maybe a desktop CPU. But again, based upon the past, a 17in would have no advantage in any of these areas.

Yes, I'm not "pro" image, vid, or music editor. As an Engineering student, I DO use my cMBP for CAD and it works just fine. Hell, many engineering students and faculty are doing CAD on 13in MBPs, so again I'm not seeing what the fuss is about.

To me, it sounds like you just like the screen size and you are butt-hurt about it. I understand your pain, but you don't need to make a scene over it.

Thank you. I am Not making a scene over it. Just how I feel and what I observe. I consider you PRO.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
I think that the 17" MBP will make a come back at some point. My guess would be when a 17" retina panel is affordable and mass produceable.

Everyone mentions sales but that isn't true at all. The 17" line sold better than the MP line and they still sell the MP. I asked a store manager right after the 17" was quietly discontinued if it did not sell well. He was surprised as well and mentioned the 17" MBP vs MP sales comparison.

I think the 17" sold well enough for them to bring it back with some nifty technology.

If sales really were an issue why not make it a BTO option only through Apple?

I would bet that it will return,
-P

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I think that the 17" MBP will make a come back at some point. My guess would be when a 17" retina panel is affordable and mass produceable.

Everyone mentions sales but that isn't true at all. The 17" line sold better than the MP line and they still sell the MP. I asked a store manager right after the 17" was quietly discontinued if it did not sell well. He was surprised as well and mentioned the 17" MBP vs MP sales comparison.

I think the 17" sold well enough for them to bring it back with some nifty technology.

If sales really were an issue why not make it a BTO option only through Apple?

I would bet that it will return,
-P

None of that is necessary.

The 15 is just right.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
no way that thing is humongous and nasty
Oh my someone is in a foul mood.

And apparently knows nothing about the 17" MBP.

At just 6.6 lbs, it is one of the lightest 17" laptops ever made.

At only 0.98" thick, no other maker made anything close, with comparable specs.

It's footprint a mere 15.4" x 10.5" this dimension is also compact, a stellar example of Apple at it's finest.

Combined with one of the finest keyboards, and hi res displays in it's time, it also was equipped with a fantastic large, comfortable and highly useful track pad.

The 17" MacBook Pro was / is one Excellent Laptop

I enjoyed each of the three I have had.

check it: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp646

pjcforpres2020

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I thought a PROsumer was someone that bought professional grade just for the prestige of owning professional grade/because they had money to waste? ie, a guy buying SnapOn tools when he hasn't even given his car an oil change. Or, with a MBP, guys buying rMBP and using them to surf the web and make iPhoto collages.

The 17" MBP is, if nothing, an excellent choice for many people, and other laptops don't fill the void, no matter their resolution. The larger screen flat out means you have more, normal sized, screen real-estate. Sure, a rMBP has more pixels, but that doesn't mean it can show two windows side by side in at the same physical size. Or 4... or 6... etc

So, if you are in a position where the extra screen real estate means you can be more efficient, and lets say you make huge amounts of money per hour, you want whatever lets you work the most efficiently, since it means you make more money.

Or, in some cases its because it really is the difference between being able to do your job or not do it.

Or so many other reasons.

Just because you can't understand that for some people, the 17" screen size makes a real world difference, doesn't mean they are wrong. How can you tell someone they are wrong about their personal preference, and there personal experiences with what works best for them?

Oh no, the sky isn't blue, its actually green... but I am looking at it right now, it is blue. Nope, that is just your opinion, and you are wrong, it is actually green.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
i have been using my 2010 17" mbp for 3 years now and it's been great. i use it hooked up to my monitor a lot but being able to have the extra screen real estate when on the go is totally worth it. weighs an extra pound? boohoo, go to the gym. :p

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
i have been using my 2010 17" mbp for 3 years now and it's been great. i use it hooked up to my monitor a lot but being able to have the extra screen real estate when on the go is totally worth it. weighs an extra pound? boohoo, go to the gym. :p

Agreed. The only system on the market today that comes close is the Razer Blade:

(Taken from Razer's website)

Size and Weight

Width: 16.81 inches (42.7cm)
Depth: 10.90 inches (27.7cm)
Height: 0.88 inches (2.24cm)
Weight: 6.6 pounds (2.99kg)

For $2500 you get:

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 (Ivy Bridge)
Quad Core Processor with Hyper-Threading
CPU: 2.2GHz (Base) / 3.2GHz (Turbo)

Chipset
Intel® HM77 Express Chipset

Memory
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

Storage
500GB 7200RPM HDD (Primary Storage)
64GB SATA III SSD with NVELO
Dataplex™ Software
(Cache Acceleration)

Graphics and Video
Integrated Intel® GMA HD – Mobile Mode
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M 2GB GDDR5
VRAM with NVIDIA Optimus™ Technology

Display
17.3” Full HD 16:9 Ratio, 1920x1080
LED Backlit

Additional Features
Razer™ Switchblade User Interface
Razer™ Anti-Ghosting Keyboard
Razer™ Synapse 2.0 Enabled
Built-in HD Webcam (2.0MP)
Built-in Speakers
Integrated Digital 7.1 Surround Audio Support
(via HDMI 1.4) Dolby® Home Theater® v4
Audio
1x HDMI 1.4 Audio and Video Output
3x USB 3.0
1x 3.5mm Audio Microphone/Headphone
Combo Jack
1x Kensington Lock

Power
Integrated 60Wh Battery
Compact AC Adapter (120Watt)

Communications
1x Gigabit Ethernet Port
1x Integrated Intel Wi-Fi 802.11 A/G/N
1x Integrated Bluetooth® 4.0

Compare that with my BTO 2011 17" MBP -

2.5Ghz Core i7 (Sandy Bridge)
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
250GB SSD
1GB AMD HD6770

I'm happy with my 17" Macbook Pro. After Haswell comes out, I'm interested to see if Razer updates the Blade with Haswell and perhaps a Maxwell setup depending on where nVidia is at with it, though my personal belief is that Razer will do a Haswell update, and the next generation Blade will be Broadwell / Maxwell (as they are both 2014 timeframe)

If Apple doesn't have a 17" MBP on the market by the time I sell my current 17", I'll be forced to get a Blade if I want a similar portable powerhouse to my current Macbook Pro.

So I'd be trading in silver/white for black/green. :(

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Exactly. I for one love the 17 and think they should make a 20 inch mbp

Whilst on the topic of stupid screen sizes - lets just max that baby out to 27inches and have it so you can unfold it to 30+ inches! yeah! let me wave around my e-genitals in public so people think I'm 'really important' along with my bluetooth ear piece.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
Whilst on the topic of stupid screen sizes - lets just max that baby out to 27inches and have it so you can unfold it to 30+ inches! yeah! let me wave around my e-genitals in public so people think I'm 'really important' along with my bluetooth ear piece.

Or not. I'd love a 17.5-18.5" laptop, with a bezel-less design. Mmmm.... would be about the same size as a unibody 17" MBP, too!

obadiahorthodox

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
The MacBook Pro 17 inch isn't coming back is it? Reply to Thread

I bought a used 2006 17 in. MBP for $719.00 its perfect except I need to get a new battery and get the wifi fixed. I got it because of the screen size, my vision is going and I need the larger screen size. It has a matte display which is great. I was able to upgrade from tiger 10.4.11 to snow leopard 10.6.8 too bad I wont be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Fellow Mid-2010 17" owner here.

I've always loved mines and didn't see an issue carrying it to and from campus at the time of college, or anywhere for that matter. I can understand the size that some are disagreeable with. Different strokes for different folks. I don't understand the weight concern cause isn't it only like 0.5-1.0lbs heavier than the 15"?

Anyways, I was looking forward to an update. I probably wouldn't have bought one but just wanted to see how a 17" retina was in person. I wasn't too surprised but I always will cherish my 17" as it's been through thick and thin.

I've upped the RAM to 8GB when I got it (2011) and fitted it with a 512GB SSD on this New Years (lol, yeah thats how i spent my new years).

My friend recently bought a brand new 13" cMBP, and she wanted to see mines for comparison.

I took these via Camera+ on my iPhone 4. Not sure if its the app or my camera thats bad...

Attachments

• IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 129

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
None of that is necessary.

The 15 is just right.

Trying to determine what is just right is a fallacy in itself. It makes too many assumptions on the type of use. Any notebook screen can feel cramped for a lot of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.