Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1
TH55
macrumors 65816

What is with this new Google Quickview for Wikipedia in the mobile site??

How do I get it to open in normal view by default?? This looks horrible!!!

Now there is a completely unneeded border around the screen making the actual screen size smaller, why the hell do they keep doing stuff like this??!!!!

Last edited by TH55; Apr 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:48 PM   #2
macingman
macrumors 68020

Do you mean the Wikipedia mobile site?

If so. Yes it's pretty annoying. I just switch over to desktop view using the link at the bottom of the page.
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

The original poster should be more clear what they are referring to. And I'm not sure why this is posted in the iPhone forum.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:25 AM   #4
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
The original poster should be more clear what they are referring to. And I'm not sure why this is posted in the iPhone forum.
Because it is Wikipedias mobile site in Safari, which is accessed from my iPhone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post

If so. Yes it's pretty annoying. I just switch over to desktop view using the link at the bottom of the page.
Yes, isn't Quick View only for the mobile site? And yes it's extremely annoying. I am so fed up with them changing stuff for no reason.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:37 AM   #5
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Have you found a workaround yet?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
He's talking about google searching on an iPhone and trying to click on Wikipedia articles in the results. Clicking the link no longer goes to Wikipedia, but rather just shows you the wiki-info in a pop-up box. You have to manually click "View Original" to actually go to Wikipedia.

I am assuming this is yet another attempt by Google to keep you stuck on their site instead of sending you off to Wikipedia, which is kind of a search competitor in a way.

Yes, it kind of sucks.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:41 PM   #7
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
He's talking about google searching on an iPhone and trying to click on Wikipedia articles in the results. Clicking the link no longer goes to Wikipedia, but rather just shows you the wiki-info in a pop-up box. You have to manually click "View Original" to actually go to Wikipedia.

I am assuming this is yet another attempt by Google to keep you stuck on their site instead of sending you off to Wikipedia, which is kind of a search competitor in a way.

Yes, it kind of sucks.
Yes it's extremely annoying. Any workaround yet?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:04 PM   #8
gixxerfool
macrumors 6502

It's annoying. I just use bing. I've had no issues with results.
gixxerfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
Because it is Wikipedias mobile site in Safari, which is accessed from my iPhone.

----------

Yes, isn't Quick View only for the mobile site? And yes it's extremely annoying. I am so fed up with them changing stuff for no reason.
Why not just use the full site then?
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:32 PM   #10
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

All you have to do is click view original at the top of the screen. It doesn't seem that difficult.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:09 PM   #11
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Why not just use the full site then?
Because the mobile site works way better, the full site isn't readable on a 4 " screen.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:13 PM   #12
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out

lol, I was gonna post about this. It loads faster, but yeah, it's annoying
AutoUnion39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:14 PM   #13
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
All you have to do is click view original at the top of the screen. It doesn't seem that difficult.
One time it's not, but to have to do it every single time is a huge hassle. More importantly, I shouldn't have to. Especially since the purported reason for this modification is to speed up the process. While it does do that initially it cuts out a good portion of the screen and therefore negates it's purpose since you end up having to revert to the old way anyway, and in fact ends up taking more time.

It pisses me off bc it doesn't improve the user experience at all, and is solely done to increase Googles control of the web and therefore its profits while masquerading itself as being done in the interest of the consumer
TH55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:42 AM   #14
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I'm sorry this is absolutely ridiculous. Who the hell does Google think they are? I seriously hope someone comes along with their same algorithm and eliminates them and returns to the simplicity of the original search engine.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:29 AM   #15
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I'm sorry this is absolutely ridiculous. Who the hell does Google think they are? I seriously hope someone comes along with their same algorithm and eliminates them and returns to the simplicity of the original search engine.
It's not that big of a deal. lol.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:47 AM   #16
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I've also noticed quickview loading on wikipedia recently but it doesn't really bother me that much. It loads really fast. Also, it doesn't really take up that much screen space. Wikipedia still renders fine, and I can see the whole page, so it doesn't make a big difference to me.

In hindsight, you're probably saving data too - which is nice.

Only bad part is that the pages might not be updated all the way - but if you need that - just load the full page.

Quote:
While it does do that initially it cuts out a good portion of the screen and therefore negates it's purpose since you end up having to revert to the old way anyway, and in fact ends up taking more time.
I haven't noticed this but I might not be udnerstanding what you are tlaking about
Old May 1, 2013, 08:48 AM   #17
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It's not that big of a deal. lol.
Yeah it is, it's extremely annoying to have to do that every single time and also completely unnecessary.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
I've also noticed quickview loading on wikipedia recently but it doesn't really bother me that much. It loads really fast. Also, it doesn't really take up that much screen space. Wikipedia still renders fine, and I can see the whole page, so it doesn't make a big difference to me.

In hindsight, you're probably saving data too - which is nice.

Only bad part is that the pages might not be updated all the way - but if you need that - just load the full page.

I haven't noticed this but I might not be udnerstanding what you are tlaking about
There is now a huge ugly border around the page for no reason which reduces the screen size by probably 33%.
TH55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 10:15 AM   #18
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

I just switched to bing and now problem fixed. I switched on my mac safari as well since when i search it lets me earn points towards free xbox points.

I trust Microsoft much more than i would ever trust google anymore. I would change my email from gmail as well if it wasn't so much of a hassle.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:58 AM   #19
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
I just switched to bing and now problem fixed. I switched on my mac safari as well since when i search it lets me earn points towards free xbox points.

I trust Microsoft much more than i would ever trust google anymore. I would change my email from gmail as well if it wasn't so much of a hassle.
Gmail is still much better than Hotmail/Outlook, and I think the cleanness of Google's original search page is still unmatched. It's the search results that they keep messing with, it's driving me insane.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:12 AM   #20
coolio93
macrumors regular

I actually love the quick view feature. It loads quickly, I can see the first few lines and that's usually enough to answer my question. I find it more efficient but that's just me lol
coolio93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 11:18 AM   #21
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio93 View Post
I actually love the quick view feature. It loads quickly, I can see the first few lines and that's usually enough to answer my question. I find it more efficient but that's just me lol
Yeah but that ridiculous border around it
Old May 13, 2013, 09:23 AM   #22
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
lol, I was gonna post about this. It loads faster, but yeah, it's annoying
Ya it ends up taking much longer because you have to switch back. Is this permanent? If so I might lose my freaking mind.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:10 AM   #23
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000

Use yahoo. It's a better search. Don't get scroggled
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 11:46 AM   #24
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
Use yahoo. It's a better search. Don't get scroggled
Yahoo doesn't have their own search. They use Bing. Bing is ok, but I often find their results lacking compared to Google especially when it comes to recently updated content. Try searching for something like "HTC One" and the top results on Bing are about the phones released last year not the new HTC One. I see this quite often.
Old May 13, 2013, 01:21 PM   #25
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yahoo doesn't have their own search. They use Bing. Bing is ok, but I often find their results lacking compared to Google especially when it comes to recently updated content. Try searching for something like "HTC One" and the top results on Bing are about the phones released last year not the new HTC One. I see this quite often.
Yeah, exactly Google has a monopoly on search engines. Don't you find this quick view format to be extremely annoying?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone