Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:09 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPad 5 Estimated to Be 15% Thinner, 25% Lighter Than Current iPad

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has on a number of occasions offered accurate information on Apple's product plans, recently published a new research note outlining his expectations for Apple's fifth-generation iPad. Kuo expects mass production and shipments of the new iPad to ramp up in the August-September timeframe, with the device registering roughly 15% thinner and 25% lighter than the current full-size iPad.
Quote:
We think the tablet will, at 7.5-8.0mm, be 15% thinner than iPad 4. The new device will likely be about 500 grams, or some 25% lighter than iPad 4, run on an A7X processor, and sport cameras with similar specs to the iPad 4's (front HD, rear 5MP). The casing shape and color (silver and black) and narrow bezel design will be similar to the iPad mini's.
The prediction of a 7.5-8.0 mm thickness is in line with previous claims that the next iPad will see a roughly 2 mm reduction from the current 9.5 mm thickness.

Mockup of current iPad, iPad 5, and iPad mini
Kuo predicts that Apple will adopt the same GF2 touch technology used in the iPad mini, enabling Apple to design a thinner display for the new full-size iPad. In addition, more efficient display and chip technologies are expected to bring down the device's overall power consumption, allowing for a smaller and thinner battery.
Quote:
We therefore think that iPad 5's battery capacity will be 25-30% smaller, at 8,500-9,000mAh, than iPad 4's, and the battery's thickness will be 15-20% smaller, at 7.5-8.0mm, and the number of cells will be reduced to two from three.
As for the chip powering the iPad 5, Kuo believes that Apple will be sticking with Samsung for a new A7X chip that will take advantage of Samsung's 28-nanometer process node. There have been reports that Apple will be shifting its A-series chip production to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), but it appears that Kuo believes that transition has a bit further time horizon, in line with rumors that a partnership between Apple and TSMC for 20-nanometer A7 chips will not begin production until early 2014.

Just last week, Kuo issued a report claiming that Apple's iPhone 5S, lower-cost iPhone, and second-generation iPad mini will launch later than currently expected by market watchers, with a variety of technological challenges still needing to be addressed by Apple. While Kuo did not offer specific predictions of when Apple will launch those devices, he did lay out a series of three scenarios addressing the possibility of August/September, September/October, and October/November timeframes.

Article Link: iPad 5 Estimated to Be 15% Thinner, 25% Lighter Than Current iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:11 AM   #2
komodrone
Banned

what I'm waiting for is a thinner iMac
/troll
komodrone is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:12 AM   #3
japanime
macrumors 65816

If the full-size iPad is considerably lighter than my iPad 3, I'll be upgrading. Otherwise, I'll wait for a retina Mini.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:13 AM   #4
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I can't be the only one who is going to miss the side bezel. It gave the iPad a nice, symmetrical feel and made for really comfortable portrait handling.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:13 AM   #5
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

It's about dang time. The current iPad looks terrible. It's looked the freakin' same for years.

Now how about changing the operating system? Apple employees must take 2 hour lunch breaks and do a lot of online shopping during work. I swear.
GREEN4U is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:17 AM   #6
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
I can't be the only one who is going to miss the side bezel. It gave the iPad a nice, symmetrical feel and made for really comfortable portrait handling.
Same here, although I do like the idea of a lighter iPad.
DesertEagle is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:19 AM   #7
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

I wonder if there will be other differentiating features...
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:21 AM   #8
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Always thinner, always...
mrsir2009 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:22 AM   #9
gaximus
macrumors regular

Augest -Sept. I really want a new iPad. The 3 is too heavy. Actually it was fine until I held my wife's mini.
gaximus is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:25 AM   #10
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

Awesome! The current iPad is to heavy in my opinion. I also hope it ships with iOS 7.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Always thinner, always...
So what's wrong with thinner? Oh wait, you're one of those people who constantly complain about Apple's every move and how they aren't innovating blah blah blah.
JayCee842 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:25 AM   #11
AppleDavie
macrumors member

Awesome!

I'm so ready for iPad 5. I like my iPad mini, but I'd love to have better resolution and a faster chip. I'll be saving my money. Hopefully supplies won't be to tight this time. Come on Apple! Show the world that you have not lost your touch and that you still will continue to make the best phones and tablet in the world! Make Samsung cry with envy!
AppleDavie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:28 AM   #12
motoracer1486
macrumors 6502a

I'm over seeing how the big news on technology is how much thinner/lighter it is. Give me some new damn features already.
motoracer1486 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:28 AM   #13
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee842 View Post
Awesome! The current iPad is to heavy in my opinion. I also hope it ships with iOS 7.

----------

So what's wrong with thinner? Oh wait, you're one of those people who constantly complain about Apple's every move and how they aren't innovating blah blah blah.
Thinner's fine... Until they start sacrificing features - Like the 5th gen iPod Touch, which ditched the ambiant light sensor just so that it could be a bit thinner (because the 4th gen just wasn't thin enough).
mrsir2009 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:31 AM   #14
jdogg836
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

The 5th gen iPod touch lost it's ambient light sensor for being too thin, when thin comes at the expense of important features it is a problem. I don't need to shave with my iPad or dice vegetables, we're already at thin enough. The weight reduction is nice but not the end all be all.
jdogg836 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:32 AM   #15
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

OK when will we have it
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:33 AM   #16
JacinTatt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg836 View Post
The 5th gen iPod touch lost it's ambient light sensor for being too thin, when thin comes at the expense of important features it is a problem. I don't need to shave with my iPad or dice vegetables, we're already at thin enough. The weight reduction is nice but not the end all be all.
Because an ambient light sensor is a make-or-break feature. Lol, complainers really love to expand their e-peens.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:34 AM   #17
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a

IMO the iPad 2 has always felt the best in your hands. It has the best weight ratio of all the iPads
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:34 AM   #18
Bean7
macrumors newbie

i like the current size of iPad 4; lighter is awesome and thinner is not a big trouble for me
1GB HD 4670
Bean7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:36 AM   #19
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

That's cool. Not a necessary as a light iPad mini though, but still
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:37 AM   #20
teknikal90
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacinTatt View Post
Because an ambient light sensor is a make-or-break feature. Lol, complainers really love to expand their e-peens.
no but its a feature that was compromised just to make something thinner.
being 2 mm thinner adds no benefit to anyone. and theyre taking away features for it.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:37 AM   #21
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular

I want a bigger iPad not smaller. I hate my iPhone 5 as its too thin I would rather have my 4s back but in saying that my iPhone is almost redundant as I use my iPad 4 a lot more. As people get older smaller devices are a problem with trying to hold them in their hands as well most eye sight starts to deterate from the age 40.
KiwiAdventure is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:41 AM   #22
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacinTatt View Post
Because an ambient light sensor is a make-or-break feature.
...Because it being 15% lighter is a make-or-break feature...

I think most people would prefer having the ambiant light sensor on the iPT than it being a tiny bit thinner. It actually gets to a point where the thinness of a device makes it uncomfortable to hold. I haven't owned a 5th iPT, but the 4th gen was far less comfortable to hold than the iPhone, because it was so thin.
mrsir2009 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:42 AM   #23
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

I never used the ambient light sensor; totally useless as far as I'm concerned. I'm not convinced "it's too thin" is the real reason for removing it anyway...probably more like "most people wouldn't miss it, so let's ditch it and save a bit of build cost". However the current iPod touch is pretty much the ideal thickess right now; I don't think I'd want it any thinner since it would start feeling cheap/uncomfortable.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:42 AM   #24
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
The battery life on the iPhone 5 is lacking, I rather have a thicker iPhone with a true all day battery life. Also, my iPhone 5 is harder to pick up from a flat surface cause of its thinness compared to the iPhone 4.

But I guess I can see it on the iPad. iPad is still uncomfortable to hold on while laying down.
Wow look at me complaining about not being able to do something while laying down. #firstworldproblems
komodrone is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:46 AM   #25
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Although I'm not always one to buy into Apples obsession with thin & light, this time I do see a benefit. Especially since I travel so much, I'll be pre-ordering upon release.

The other model I'm eager to buy is a retina equipped Mini to replace the low res mini I have now. I knew this one would be a huge compromise with its current display but I knew the size was ideal.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
The battery life on the iPhone 5 is lacking, I rather have a thicker iPhone with a true all day battery life. Also, my iPhone 5 is harder to pick up from a flat surface cause of its thinness compared to the iPhone 4..
I agree completely. A thicker phone with great battery life would be terrific. I don't get a full workday from mine without a Mophie Juice Pack. Thankfully I have that as a solution. But I shouldn't have to pay an extra $100 just because of Apples obsession & arrogance.
maxosx is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion