Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has on a number of occasions offered accurate information on Apple's product plans, recently published a new research note outlining his expectations for Apple's fifth-generation iPad. Kuo expects mass production and shipments of the new iPad to ramp up in the August-September timeframe, with the device registering roughly 15% thinner and 25% lighter than the current full-size iPad.
We think the tablet will, at 7.5-8.0mm, be 15% thinner than iPad 4. The new device will likely be about 500 grams, or some 25% lighter than iPad 4, run on an A7X processor, and sport cameras with similar specs to the iPad 4's (front HD, rear 5MP). The casing shape and color (silver and black) and narrow bezel design will be similar to the iPad mini's.
The prediction of a 7.5-8.0 mm thickness is in line with previous claims that the next iPad will see a roughly 2 mm reduction from the current 9.5 mm thickness.

macrumors-ipad5c-800x600.jpg
Mockup of current iPad, iPad 5, and iPad mini

Kuo predicts that Apple will adopt the same GF2 touch technology used in the iPad mini, enabling Apple to design a thinner display for the new full-size iPad. In addition, more efficient display and chip technologies are expected to bring down the device's overall power consumption, allowing for a smaller and thinner battery.
We therefore think that iPad 5's battery capacity will be 25-30% smaller, at 8,500-9,000mAh, than iPad 4's, and the battery's thickness will be 15-20% smaller, at 7.5-8.0mm, and the number of cells will be reduced to two from three.
As for the chip powering the iPad 5, Kuo believes that Apple will be sticking with Samsung for a new A7X chip that will take advantage of Samsung's 28-nanometer process node. There have been reports that Apple will be shifting its A-series chip production to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), but it appears that Kuo believes that transition has a bit further time horizon, in line with rumors that a partnership between Apple and TSMC for 20-nanometer A7 chips will not begin production until early 2014.

Just last week, Kuo issued a report claiming that Apple's iPhone 5S, lower-cost iPhone, and second-generation iPad mini will launch later than currently expected by market watchers, with a variety of technological challenges still needing to be addressed by Apple. While Kuo did not offer specific predictions of when Apple will launch those devices, he did lay out a series of three scenarios addressing the possibility of August/September, September/October, and October/November timeframes.

Article Link: iPad 5 Estimated to Be 15% Thinner, 25% Lighter Than Current iPad

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
If the full-size iPad is considerably lighter than my iPad 3, I'll be upgrading. Otherwise, I'll wait for a retina Mini.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
It's about dang time. The current iPad looks terrible. It's looked the freakin' same for years.

Now how about changing the operating system? Apple employees must take 2 hour lunch breaks and do a lot of online shopping during work. I swear.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Augest -Sept. I really want a new iPad. The 3 is too heavy. Actually it was fine until I held my wife's mini.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Awesome! The current iPad is to heavy in my opinion. I also hope it ships with iOS 7. :D

----------

Always thinner, always...

So what's wrong with thinner? Oh wait, you're one of those people who constantly complain about Apple's every move and how they aren't innovating blah blah blah.

AppleDavie

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Palmdale, Ca
Awesome!

I'm so ready for iPad 5. I like my iPad mini, but I'd love to have better resolution and a faster chip. I'll be saving my money. Hopefully supplies won't be to tight this time. Come on Apple! Show the world that you have not lost your touch and that you still will continue to make the best phones and tablet in the world! Make Samsung cry with envy! :cool:

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
I'm over seeing how the big news on technology is how much thinner/lighter it is. Give me some new damn features already.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Awesome! The current iPad is to heavy in my opinion. I also hope it ships with iOS 7. :D

----------

So what's wrong with thinner? Oh wait, you're one of those people who constantly complain about Apple's every move and how they aren't innovating blah blah blah.

Thinner's fine... Until they start sacrificing features - Like the 5th gen iPod Touch, which ditched the ambiant light sensor just so that it could be a bit thinner (because the 4th gen just wasn't thin enough).

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma

----------

The 5th gen iPod touch lost it's ambient light sensor for being too thin, when thin comes at the expense of important features it is a problem. I don't need to shave with my iPad or dice vegetables, we're already at thin enough. The weight reduction is nice but not the end all be all.

JacinTatt

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
The 5th gen iPod touch lost it's ambient light sensor for being too thin, when thin comes at the expense of important features it is a problem. I don't need to shave with my iPad or dice vegetables, we're already at thin enough. The weight reduction is nice but not the end all be all.

Because an ambient light sensor is a make-or-break feature. Lol, complainers really love to expand their e-peens.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
IMO the iPad 2 has always felt the best in your hands. It has the best weight ratio of all the iPads

Bean7

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
i like the current size of iPad 4; lighter is awesome and thinner is not a big trouble for me :p

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Because an ambient light sensor is a make-or-break feature. Lol, complainers really love to expand their e-peens.

no but its a feature that was compromised just to make something thinner.
being 2 mm thinner adds no benefit to anyone. and theyre taking away features for it.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
I want a bigger iPad not smaller. I hate my iPhone 5 as its too thin I would rather have my 4s back but in saying that my iPhone is almost redundant as I use my iPad 4 a lot more. As people get older smaller devices are a problem with trying to hold them in their hands as well most eye sight starts to deterate from the age 40.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Because an ambient light sensor is a make-or-break feature.

...Because it being 15% lighter is a make-or-break feature...

I think most people would prefer having the ambiant light sensor on the iPT than it being a tiny bit thinner. It actually gets to a point where the thinness of a device makes it uncomfortable to hold. I haven't owned a 5th iPT, but the 4th gen was far less comfortable to hold than the iPhone, because it was so thin.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I never used the ambient light sensor; totally useless as far as I'm concerned. I'm not convinced "it's too thin" is the real reason for removing it anyway...probably more like "most people wouldn't miss it, so let's ditch it and save a bit of build cost". However the current iPod touch is pretty much the ideal thickess right now; I don't think I'd want it any thinner since it would start feeling cheap/uncomfortable.

--Eric

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011

The battery life on the iPhone 5 is lacking, I rather have a thicker iPhone with a true all day battery life. Also, my iPhone 5 is harder to pick up from a flat surface cause of its thinness compared to the iPhone 4.

But I guess I can see it on the iPad. iPad is still uncomfortable to hold on while laying down.
Wow look at me complaining about not being able to do something while laying down. #firstworldproblems

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Although I'm not always one to buy into Apples obsession with thin & light, this time I do see a benefit. Especially since I travel so much, I'll be pre-ordering upon release.

The other model I'm eager to buy is a retina equipped Mini to replace the low res mini I have now. I knew this one would be a huge compromise with its current display but I knew the size was ideal.

----------

The battery life on the iPhone 5 is lacking, I rather have a thicker iPhone with a true all day battery life. Also, my iPhone 5 is harder to pick up from a flat surface cause of its thinness compared to the iPhone 4..

I agree completely. A thicker phone with great battery life would be terrific. I don't get a full workday from mine without a Mophie Juice Pack. Thankfully I have that as a solution. But I shouldn't have to pay an extra $100 just because of Apples obsession & arrogance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.