Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Atlanta Apple Pop-Up Museum to Open This Weekend

An Apple Pop-Up Museum is set to open this weekend, at the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast in Atlanta. The museum will feature a look at Apple products throughout the years and will include several rare Apple and pre-Apple artifacts like the original Lisa and the Xerox Alto.

The museum is organized into a series of different rooms, with each different section dedicated to a different era in Apple's history.

A rare 20th Anniversary Mac
Steven Hackett of 512 Pixels posted a detailed preview tour of the museum earlier this month, pointing out several highlights along with tidbits from Lonnie Mimms, the man who created the Apple Pop-Up Museum.
Quote:
If the Apple I is Genesis, then a little garage in Los Altos is Eden. The garage is recreated in Mimms' Apple Pop-Up Museum, with large prints of what the workstations looked like. In the middle of the room, on a white stand, under glass, is Mimms' Apple I.

The next two rooms down the hallway are a prime example of how simple -- yet powerful -- the displays in this exhibit are.

The first one is all about the Apple II -- the machine that launched Apple into its first giant wave of success. The room features the machine of course, but also the first Disk II and controller card. The back wall of the room is an art piece made of old disks, and on the wall hangs examples of Apple II logic boards and designs.
Hackett goes on to spotlight other early Apple products like the MacColby, an original 128k Macintosh that plays the first game ever made available for the system, and the ultra rare 20th Anniversary Mac. Hackett's account of the museum provides a fascinating overview of the contents of the museum for Apple enthusiasts who cannot make it to Georgia.

The Apple Pop-Up Museum will be open on Saturday, April 20 and Sunday, April 21 2013 and will take place at the Kings Market Shopping Center. Attendees will need to pay a $10 admission fee for a single day or $15 for both days.

Article Link: Atlanta Apple Pop-Up Museum to Open This Weekend
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Garrod
macrumors member

Sadly that's a bit too far for my budget to stretch to travel that far. Now give me a pop-up book with that sort of stuff in and I'm sold!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:57 PM   #3
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Are people really going to need TWO days for this? It's not Disney World.

"That iMac was exhausting, kids! Let's do the rest tomorrow!"
DTphonehome is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Silvereel
macrumors 6502

Heading down there tomorrow Only about 45 minutes to an hour from where I live, so I'm lucky!
Silvereel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:22 PM   #5
needfx
macrumors 68000

hope those things are dusted before being exhibited
needfx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:29 PM   #6
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvereel View Post
Heading down there tomorrow Only about 45 minutes to an hour from where I live, so I'm lucky!
Looks like a pretty sweet exhibit. Enjoy!
UnfetteredMind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Squilly
macrumors 68020

One of these threads I like

Good idea for this museum.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:09 PM   #8
bvledford
macrumors newbie

Only 15 mins from me! Anyone else going?
bvledford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Kingofmyroom
macrumors newbie

I'll be going. Its only 10 minutes from me.
Kingofmyroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:20 PM   #10
carestudio
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofmyroom View Post
I'll be going. Its only 10 minutes from me.
lucky you!!!! wish I could be there too!
carestudio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:36 PM   #11
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTphonehome View Post
Are people really going to need TWO days for this? It's not Disney World.

"That iMac was exhausting, kids! Let's do the rest tomorrow!"
Don't forget about the sing-along: 'It's a small microchip after-all...'
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:37 PM   #12
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

Trying to decide between the two-day discount or the season pass!
ZZ Bottom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Lancer
macrumors 68000

I know it's outdated but I'd love to own one of the 20th Anv Mac's.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:03 PM   #14
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip

Damn that thing is FUGLY! I take it that The Steve wasn't with the company when it was released? No wonder Apple couldn't survive without him.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:08 PM   #15
bvledford
macrumors newbie

If enough of us are going we can have a meetup
bvledford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:32 PM   #16
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
aww man this would be really cool to go see
RoastingPig is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:40 PM   #17
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

What's more interesting is that it is apart of the vintage computer festival. Which in all is interesting me some. I just hope it isn't just two or three guys bringing a couple of old computers and setting them up on tables in a parking lot.

The festival itself is supposedly going to have vendors. Here's hoping for an Apple IIe, Macintosh II and Commodore PET.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:55 PM   #18
JSquare79
macrumors newbie

Meetup?

There is an Irish pub located right by the event. Old computers of all types and pints! What better way to spend a Sunday?
JSquare79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:16 PM   #19
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
What's more interesting is that it is apart of the vintage computer festival. Which in all is interesting me some. I just hope it isn't just two or three guys bringing a couple of old computers and setting them up on tables in a parking lot.
Almost; this exhibit is set up in an old CompUSA.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Silvereel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post

Damn that thing is FUGLY! I take it that The Steve wasn't with the company when it was released? No wonder Apple couldn't survive without him.
Yeah, it came out either right after Steve returned or right before. It was insanely expensive, too. I remember that they had one on Seinfeld...

Here's a video of Jonny Ive talking about how great it is: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTts8elSDeE
Silvereel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:45 PM   #21
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502

The "TAM" came out around a year before Steve "returned".

He gave the order for the remaining stock to be sold at/near to cost, as they hadn't sold very well (no doubt due to the $7,500 price tag for a machine comparable in specs to a $3,500 PowerMac 6500).

Oh and, the thing isn't ugly... It's gorgeous... and there's one sitting in my cupboard not 1m from where I'm sitting.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:45 AM   #22
The Tuck
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reminder. Definitely going to this!

Tuck
The Tuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:48 AM   #23
rGiskard
macrumors 6502

That's a cool HEPA filter Apple sold with that Mac!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:10 AM   #24
hotard96
macrumors newbie

Just left the exhibit. I thought it might just be a bus musuem or seversl tents. It was actually very well done. There were about a dozen different rooms with every apple item you could think of. It took us a couple hours. The VCF portion could have been better. More exhibits. More vendors. Get some vintage gaming included. But it was there first try. I am sure it will get better. I thought it was great that the event was hosted in an abandoned compusa. Kind of ironic.
hotard96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:16 AM   #25
macalec
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

An Apple Pop-Up Museum is set to open this weekend, at the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast in Atlanta. The museum will feature a look at Apple products throughout the years and will include several rare Apple and pre-Apple artifacts like the original Lisa and the Xerox Alto.

The museum is organized into a series of different rooms, with each different section dedicated to a different era in Apple's history.

ImageA rare 20th Anniversary Mac
Steven Hackett of 512 Pixels posted a detailed preview tour of the museum earlier this month, pointing out several highlights along with tidbits from Lonnie Mimms, the man who created the Apple Pop-Up Museum.Hackett goes on to spotlight other early Apple products like the MacColby, an original 128k Macintosh that plays the first game ever made available for the system, and the ultra rare 20th Anniversary Mac. Hackett's account of the museum provides a fascinating overview of the contents of the museum for Apple enthusiasts who cannot make it to Georgia.

The Apple Pop-Up Museum will be open on Saturday, April 20 and Sunday, April 21 2013 and will take place at the Kings Market Shopping Center. Attendees will need to pay a $10 admission fee for a single day or $15 for both days.

Article Link: Atlanta Apple Pop-Up Museum to Open This Weekend

That is so cool! I wish I was going to the exhibit. I wish Apple had a museum on their campus, however it would not fit with their forward thinking ideology. Maybe some day.
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion