Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

More Claims of 'Delays' for iPhone 5S Over Fingerprint Sensor Issues

Earlier this month, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that various production issues will likely result in launches of Apple's iPhone 5S, lower-cost iPhone, and second-generation iPad mini coming somewhat later than many observers have been expecting. In particular, Kuo claimed that issues with color coatings for the fingerprint sensor said to be included on the iPhone 5S are likely to push back that device's launch from a June/July timeframe to perhaps September or later.

TruePrint fingerprint sensing technology from AuthenTec, acquired by Apple in 2012
Reuters today published a new report highlighting how Apple's suppliers are working hard to reduce their reliance on Apple as uncertainty about demand for Apple's products presents challenges for these companies. As part of the report, Reuters shares word from Apple's iPhone suppliers painting a nearly identical picture to that shared by Kuo earlier this month.
Quote:
Supplier sources in Japan and Taiwan, home to dozens of Apple suppliers, said they initially expected mass-production of the next iPhone to begin in June.

That date may have begun to slip beyond June, the sources said. The phone, widely referred to as the iPhone 5S, is expected to include new features such as a fingerprint sensor. A supply chain source in Taiwan said Apple was trying to find a coating material that did not interfere with the fingerprint sensor, and this may be causing a delay.
Regarding Apple's lower-cost iPhone, a Japanese supplier informed Reuters that "small-scale production" of displays for the device will begin in May, with mass production beginning the following month. As has been reported by other sources, Reuters' sources claim that the lower-cost iPhone will use the same 4-inch display as the iPhone 5S, but lack the fingerprint sensor and use a plastic casing.

Article Link: More Claims of 'Delays' for iPhone 5S Over Fingerprint Sensor Issues
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:40 AM   #2
wovel
macrumors 68000

I like how analysts call it a delay when the new date they are making up is later than the previous date they made up.

Good times.
wovel is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Nathan20
macrumors regular

Next iPhone is gonna be IMMENSE!!!
Don't care what the haters say
Nathan20 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #4
bradgfromboo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan20 View Post
Immensely disappointing... But they gotta keep up with the recent trend so it makes sense...

iPhone 5S -> Fingerprint reader
iPhone 6 -> Extra row of icons

Can't wait for the excitement
bradgfromboo is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #5
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Does this mean they really are going to implement this new hardware-feature in the iPhone 5S? Anyway, I hope it won't delay the iPad 5. I could not care less about having a fingerprint-sensor on any iDevice.
DesertEagle is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Raftysworld
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan20 View Post
Raftysworld is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:44 AM   #7
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
I'm not worried. Apple is still making billions and billions and billions of dollars in profit, and that is all that matters to a true fan. That is the reason why we all fell madly in love with Apple in the first place.

/s

Last edited by iGrip; Apr 22, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
iGrip is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:44 AM   #8
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradgfromboo View Post
Immensely disappointing... But they gotta keep up with the recent trend so it makes sense...

iPhone 5S -> Fingerprint reader
iPhone 6 -> Extra row of icons

Can't wait for the excitement
Someone already created a mockup of this trend. The phone becomes difficult to use when it gets over 4 feet long.
wovel is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:45 AM   #9
BMNB1tch
macrumors regular

Sept Oct?!?! for the same looking phone?!

target = $320
BMNB1tch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:46 AM   #10
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

If the rumors are true, I hope Apple takes the time to get the coating on the fingerprint sensor right the first time.
lolkthxbai is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:46 AM   #11
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovel View Post
I like how analysts call it a delay when the new date they are making up is later than the previous date they made up.

Good times.
Yep.

Or how when the iPhone doesn't come out with this sensor because it was never going to, they will say again there were issues.

How they are bad mouthing reports of reduced demand compared to last quarter forgetting that holiday is like 70% of annual sales so of course now will be lower

And so on.

Today is also known as 'last change to get the price lower to buy stock before it might go up tomorrow'. Just hope they aren't as greedy as the guy last fall that bankrupted his employers and now faces prison for stock fraud.
charlituna is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:49 AM   #12
blabliblu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
I'm not worried. Apple is still making billions and billions and billions of dollars in profit, and that is all that matters to a true fan. That is the reason why we all fell madly in love with Apple in the first place.
Yep, I saw your comment, I saw your photo, I saw your face...

That's it, after having used Apple product for 10 years I'm definitely switching to PC and Nexus.
blabliblu is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:51 AM   #13
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

So the iPhone 5S/6 will be introduced in June/July, or in September, or some time this year. It may or may not include a fingerprint sensor, and may or may not have production issues.

There you go! I'm an analyst!
Simplicated is online now   14 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:54 AM   #14
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502

This is what happens when you waste your time adding "revolutionary new features" that most people couldn't care less about.
Snowshiro is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:55 AM   #15
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

I guess I am one of the few who never thought they were going to release a phone this summer anyways since they switched to the fall release schedule with the 4S.
ghostface147 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:55 AM   #16
xcodeaddict
Banned

Android is better...
xcodeaddict is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:58 AM   #17
RealKrS
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcodeaddict View Post
Android is better...
Oh boy...
RealKrS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:59 AM   #18
rovex
macrumors 65816

What a gimmick. Who's going to drool over a fingerprint sensor once the novelty wears off?

Much rather un updated lock screen, meaning a proper OS update.
rovex is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:59 AM   #19
nicmr
macrumors newbie

Guessing game

I don't know if it will include a fingerprint sensor or not, but if it will, I hope it will be well tested. I don't plan making payments on a immature technology.
nicmr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:59 AM   #20
redhawk87
macrumors regular

You know what would be cool? Slide to unlock+fingerprint identification! All you do is unlock your phone as alway but now you wouldn't have to type in any password!
redhawk87 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:02 AM   #21
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
fingerprint shmingerprint who cares
RoastingPig is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:03 AM   #22
goobot
macrumors 601

I doubt it was gana come out in June, July, they haven't even announced iOS 7 yet.
goobot is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:04 AM   #23
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

This is another reason why I stick with products; they don't rush out a new technology until they are satisfied it works well. Most Android vendors will just push it out as-is and fix it on-the-fly...maybe.
BornAgainApple is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:06 AM   #24
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Absolutely.
Billions, trillions iZillions... bwa ha ha ha ha.

I'm going to go read some old copies of MacUser magazine.
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:08 AM   #25
nycmi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post
This is another reason why I stick with products; they don't rush out a new technology until they are satisfied it works well. Most Android vendors will just push it out as-is and fix it on-the-fly...maybe.
Except for Apple Maps right?
nycmi is offline   22 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion