Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:31 PM   #1
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

2nd display resolution question

Hello all!

I would very much like to use a 2nd display for my iBook G4(1.33 GHz) but don't like the way that the resolution for the secondary display is limited to the 1024 X 768 that I already have on the iBook itself. Does anyone know a way around this?

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:34 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

ScreenSpanningDoctor or so, I do not know which resolution it does support though.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:54 PM   #3
chibiterasu
macrumors 6502

Yes screen spanning doctor should support you vga monitor no matter what the resolution as long as its has a vga input (I use a 1280x1024 iMac G4 and its just fine with it) Screen spanning doctor should also be fully compatible with your graphics chip (whether thats a radeon 9200, 9500 or 9550 depending on what ibook you have)

Hope this helps
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:11 PM   #4
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
ScreenSpanningDoctor or so, I do not know which resolution it does support though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibiterasu View Post
Yes screen spanning doctor should support you vga monitor no matter what the resolution as long as its has a vga input (I use a 1280x1024 iMac G4 and its just fine with it) Screen spanning doctor should also be fully compatible with your graphics chip (whether thats a radeon 9200, 9500 or 9550 depending on what ibook you have)

Hope this helps
Thanks!!! What if I picked up an older Apple display that's 1680 X 1050? I found the Screen Spanning Doctor by the way(it was linked to in the iBook G4 spec sheet at everymac.com)

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Intell
macrumors G5

That old iBook should be able to drive any VGA display. It'd reach the limitations of VGA before you'd hit the iBook's limitations. Although it would start to show some slow downs near the bigger screen sizes due to its small VRAM. But it should be able to drive that screen nicely.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

As others have said, you'll need a VGA display. Which rules out (basically all) of Apple's flat-panel displays. You'd be better off with a cheapo PC LCD.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Intell
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
As others have said, you'll need a VGA display. Which rules out (basically all) of Apple's flat-panel displays. You'd be better off with a cheapo PC LCD.
There is one, and only one VGA LCD Apple display. The venerable Blue and White Apple Studio display. While some of Apple's later CRT displays have high resolutions up to 1600 x 1200, none of them have a native resolution of 1680 X 1050.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
There is one, and only one VGA LCD Apple display. The venerable Blue and White Apple Studio display. While some of Apple's later CRT displays have high resolutions up to 1600 x 1200, none of them have a native resolution of 1680 X 1050.
Yup, and I have that one B&W Studio Display. (I used to have the predecessor "dark blue" Studio Display with the old-school proprietary Apple DB-15 connector, too - but it died so I gave it away to someone who was going to try to repair it.)

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Intell
macrumors G5

Quote:
Yup, and I have that one B&W Studio Display. (I used to have the predecessor "dark blue" Studio Display with the old-school proprietary Apple DB-15 connector, too - but it died so I gave it away to someone who was going to try to repair it.)
Yea, I have one too. Not the best display. Very dim at only 200 cd/mē. Better than the dark blue's 180 cd/mē. Good for use in a darkish room and an old ADB/VGA equipped Mac and a GameCube.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yea, I have one too. Not the best display. Very dim at only 200 cd/mē. Better than the dark blue's 180 cd/mē. Good for use in a darkish room and an old ADB/VGA equipped Mac and a GameCube.
I use mine as my server screen. Hrm, that's right, it has composite input... I should use it for my Apple II, as well...

Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Intell
macrumors G5

Quote:
I use mine as my server screen. Hrm, that's right, it has composite input... I should use it for my Apple II, as well...
If you haven't done so already, I highly suggest using OS 9's Monitors control panel to set the alignment via ADB. It is much better than using the on screen menu and buttons.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 03:37 AM   #12
kalel77
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to kalel77
if I was you I would not waste time looking for an apple display, I got a NEC EX231W from Amazon and works simply great with my powerbook G4 at any resolutions!!! Think about it too.
Cheers.
kalel77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 05:22 PM   #13
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Quote:
If you haven't done so already, I highly suggest using OS 9's Monitors control panel to set the alignment via ADB. It is much better than using the on screen menu and buttons.
The server in question is actually a quad-socket Itanium. :-P The Apple IIc on top is also used as a serial terminal via its IIc mini monochrome screen.

Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Intell
macrumors G5

Quote:
The server in question is actually a quad-socket Itanium. :-P The Apple IIc on top is also used as a serial terminal via its IIc mini monochrome screen.
Well you can still calibrate is on an OS 9 machine with the resolution and hertz set to the same as that of the target machine. The calibration will stay and it'll look nicer when done.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs