Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Adds 'Download Later' Option to Large Purchases on Mobile iTunes Store

Apple has added a new 'download later' prompt to large media purchases made in iTunes or on the mobile iTunes Store, reports Macworld.

The new prompt appears when purchasing movies, TV shows, TV Season Passes, full TV seasons, movie bundles, and music box sets.
Quote:
When purchasing any of the above items using iTunes 11 on a Mac or Windows PC, or an iOS device running iOS 6 or later, you're now presented with Later and Download (or Download All) buttons. Tap Later and the purchased items will be added to your iTunes account and accessible to stream or download in the future via Apple's iTunes in the Cloud feature. It's a handy feature if you, say, want to buy a movie on sale while you have a spotty data connection; you can make sure to get the cheaper price, then download the item when you get home--or even just play it from the cloud.
The prompt only appears for users in countries that support iTunes in the Cloud for the type of media they are purchasing.

Article Link: Apple Adds 'Download Later' Option to Large Purchases on Mobile iTunes Store
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
jhsfosho
macrumors 6502

It would be nice if this worked on large app purchases as well. Sometimes I try download an app when it's on sale but if its too large I have to remember to download it later.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Mike Valmike
macrumors 6502a

Wow, not seeing any problem with this. Good move Apple
Mike Valmike is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:08 PM   #4
rorschach
macrumors 68000

About time.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
aniltotalk
macrumors newbie

That's a nice addition

I always kinda wanted this feature.. espicially when there is sale on gaming apps.. and I am not on Wifi.... It should have been there always... yeah..

Oops.. I spoke it early.. not applicable on apps.. damn

Last edited by aniltotalk; Apr 22, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
aniltotalk is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Icaras
macrumors 601

FINALLY. Been waiting for this ever since movies and TV shows became available on iCloud. I even sent Apple feedback for this feature numerous times. I no longer store any of copies (except for iTunes Extras) on my local storage anymore since everything went iCloud and it's such a complete waste of bandwidth to force users to download items right after purchase. It's all about streaming now.

Thank you, Apple. Next: add iTunes movies/TV shows streaming to iOS!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniltotalk View Post
I always kinda wanted this feature.. espicially when there is sale on gaming apps.. and I am not on Wifi.... It should have been there always... yeah..

Oops.. I spoke it early.. not applicable on apps.. damn
I forgot about the apps "...over 50MB" issue over cellular. I know exactly how you feel. Yet another good reason to have this feature!

Edit: Nevermind, i quoted you too early as well lol. Well, hopefully they extend this to apps soon then.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Hallelujah! And amen.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

I hope this will allow the purchase of iPad apps on an iPhone. I get told about apparently great apps while out and about and have my iPhone on me, but forget about them before getting back to my iPad.
Moonjumper is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:38 PM   #9
ryuok
macrumors regular

at last.
ryuok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:38 PM   #10
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

It would be nice to add this functionality to apps! I don't have WiFi access at work, but if I see an app >50MB that I want to install from work, I have to wait. Even though I have an unlimited data plan! Ugh...
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:41 PM   #11
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Very excited for this, BUT I want it for apps too!

I hate when I'm out and about (or roaming) and see a $9.99 app on-sale for 99 cents, but I can't get it since it's too big.

(Or it's an iPad app and I'm on my iPhone).

Gary
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:42 PM   #12
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Does this mean I can now just stream content without ever having to download it? I've bought a lot of movies and tv shows and the hd versions really eat into your hard drive space so not having to download a hd tv series and just stream it instead would be a tremendous benefit.
Shaun, UK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:44 PM   #13
macalec
macrumors 6502

Its a about time! A great feature. I am going to look forward to this during areas with bad wifi coverage.
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Futurix
macrumors regular

Finally!

Just last week I had to contact iTunes Store support to clear my download queue because I did not want to download entire 200Gb of certain TV show in HD...
Futurix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Netflix

I was Netflix had something similar, "watch later", kind of a list of things you find while browsing but don't intend to watch right away.
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:55 PM   #16
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

This is great!

However, an even better addition to this is as others have stated above:

Include large Apps and the Ability to purchase/download later Apps for the iPad.

Also would be nice to include "WISHLIST" feature. There are many times when I see a cool app and might want to purchase but not at that moment...or want to review later. Apps for kids that look GREAT but think "my son is too young now" I could buy now and hope in a few years he is still into it or just wait—and FORGET about it and thus no purchase.
BJMRamage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:59 PM   #17
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple Adds 'Download Later' Option to Large Purchases on Mobile iTunes Store
iThink this is revolutionary!

Kool-Aid <-- tasty!

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:03 PM   #18
kds1
macrumors 6502

How about an "Ignore update" option for apps so that little badge will go away for that one app that you refuse to update because the new version is horrible?
kds1 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:06 PM   #19
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

Why it took so long to react to this situation. Infact this is something that the appstore should've come with right from day one.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:06 PM   #20
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a

Great now devs can stop worrying about keeping file sized obnoxiously small for the sake of cellular downloads (Super stickman golf 2, no retina on iPad).
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:11 PM   #21
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
About time.
No joke. Now they need to drop the auto downloads on computers, especially since you can stream them. And let us pick the download quality. I buy the HD sets for my big screen and Apple TV but they are wasted space on my iPad where the SD looks just as good. But it's a pain to get it to download the SD. Which sucks cause in iOS 5 the choice came up. Plus it would help if they gave us an option for the same 'show iTunes in the cloud' in iOS that you can do on the computer. And even let us just stream titles
charlituna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:16 PM   #22
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

This is sort of off topic, but if Apple can add a "Download Later" option to mobile, then surely they can add the "Wishlist" feature?

I've been waiting on a mobile "Wishlist" feature forever...I use it a lot on my Mac iTunes.
somethingelsefl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:22 PM   #23
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMRamage View Post
Also would be nice to include "WISHLIST" feature.
Even better, not only let you add apps etc to wish list but if you buy anything that is on a list, take it off the list and give you the option to receive alerts if the price changes. So you see any app that might be great when junior starts talking and writing but he was just born, you put it on your list to buy when he's older but then it goes down in price on a special sale, you get alert and can get it now. If they did that and added a way to search for free apps and/or by age/category folks wouldn't need things like appshopper.

And another good one would be if you buy a show season and the show does a box set, count your purchase towards that with complete my season, letting you download the added features etc. breaking bad pulled this move as well as doctor who with features they didn't release during the season and as it stands folks have to buy eps they don't need to get them cause they are 'season only' and there's no way to buy just the features.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb098 View Post
Great now devs can stop worrying about keeping file sized obnoxiously small for the sake of cellular downloads (Super stickman golf 2, no retina on iPad).
I like the way Temple Run Oz did it. The original download was 'SD' but when I opened the app it recognized I was on an iPad and offered me a download of the 'HD' images, no cost. I wish more apps would do that. It would be a great way to save space say in an iPhone since often you can't tell any difference on a screen that small.
charlituna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:30 PM   #24
JAT
macrumors 603

3G Unrestrictor ftw.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:34 PM   #25
bushido
macrumors 601

is that even proper english? sounds weird

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion