Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Brradley
macrumors member

Way to fix Finder?

Hello,

I'm a convert from Windows and the only thing I miss is Explorer - particularly the way that it makes the icons fit to the window, whereas with finder, you have to scroll around left and right to get to the files you want if they do not fit in the window size.

Is there any Finder alternatives that make it more like windows explorer? I also dislike how Mac leaves gaps in the files grid if they are moved - whereas in Windows if you delete/move a file, all of the files move up to fill the spaces. This is how I'd prefer finder to be.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks!
Brradley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

A lof of people use PathFinder.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:29 PM   #3
RadDave
macrumors regular

Check THIS THREAD - plenty of responses and suggestions for Finder replacements. For myself, I'm on a trial DL of Total Finder which works for me and like the 'plugin' nature of the program - will be an $18 purchase if I decide to keep it - plenty of 'free' options, though - good luck!
RadDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 03:58 PM   #4
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brradley View Post
I'm a convert from Windows and the only thing I miss is Explorer - particularly the way that it makes the icons fit to the window, whereas with finder, you have to scroll around left and right to get to the files you want if they do not fit in the window size.

Is there any Finder alternatives that make it more like windows explorer? I also dislike how Mac leaves gaps in the files grid if they are moved - whereas in Windows if you delete/move a file, all of the files move up to fill the spaces. This is how I'd prefer finder to be.
Sounds like you're only using Icon View. Have you tried Column View or List View?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:34 PM   #5
thekb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hello,

Try 'Right click' then 'Clean Up'
thekb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Sounds like you're only using Icon View. Have you tried Column View or List View?
Icon View with Arrange By Name, Date, etc. (everything but None or Snap to Grid) should close the gaps. I'll have to test it later.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Yes, Icon View with Arrange By Name set in Show View Options will close the gaps when a file is removed. I assume the same is true of Arrange By Date, etc., but, as I stated, not Snap to Grid or None.

If you set Arrange By from the contextual menu (right click) it won't work this way. That is a temporary rearrangement. I'm using Leopard, YMMV.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Silvereel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hello,

Can anyone help please?

Thanks!
You know, I am still a little annoyed by the icons not changing places as the windows are resized, but I've come to like the fact that everything doesn't snap to a strict grid. It can look a little messy at times, but it actually provides a bit of a visual cue as to which files are where. If I'm arranging things, I can put things into piles, and it makes it easier to keep up with.
Silvereel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvereel View Post
You know, I am still a little annoyed by the icons not changing places as the windows are resized,
But they will if you do as I described above! Try it!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help