Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Offering 150 Free WWDC Tickets to Student Developers

Apple announced its 2013 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) this morning, with plans to put tickets up for sale tomorrow at 10am.

Tickets for WWDC can be hard to come by and sold out within two hours last year, but current students might be able to attend the conference through a WWDC 2013 Student Scholarship.

Apple has set aside 150 scholarships for full or part-time students aged 13 years or older. Students must be current members of the iOS Developer Program, iOS Developer University Program, iOS Developer Enterprise Program, or Mac Developer Program.

To win a scholarship, students must submit an application and create an app that demonstrates both creativity and strong coding abilities.
Quote:
Use your creativity and coding skills to build an app that tells us about you. Your app should highlight development projects you've worked on, your educational and professional background, technical skills, and interests.
Scholarship applications must be submitted by Thursday, May 2, 2013 and will be judged on technical accomplishment, creativity, essay questions, and technical/work experience.

WWDC 2013 is set to take place from June 10-14 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. Tickets will go on sale tomorrow, April 25 at 10 a.m. PDT for $1599 each.

Article Link: Apple Offering 150 Free WWDC Tickets to Student Developers
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:48 PM   #2
alent1234
macrumors 603

apple should do something like Google's Summer of Code
alent1234 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a

Seems like a good event to experience for young developers. Who knows what kind of innovation will come from one of those youngsters...

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:55 PM   #4
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

This makes me wish I was 13 again.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:56 PM   #5
MalcolmJID
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to MalcolmJID
I think this is a great idea. Would be fun to be 13 again
MalcolmJID is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:57 PM   #6
iDento
macrumors member

Good

twenty-something & younger guys are imaginative, Apple knows that I'm guessing.
iDento is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Peace
macrumors P6

Great way to get some young thinkers into the dev community.
Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:01 PM   #8
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
May 2nd!

Nuts I gotta work on something fast! (Undergraduate counts, right?)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:04 PM   #9
CodeJingle
macrumors regular

This is so awesome. Brilliant teens need their shot at glory even with broke parents. Broke college students too. I'm looking forward to their feedback after attending WWDC.

Last edited by CodeJingle; Apr 24, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
CodeJingle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Corrode
macrumors 6502

Free product placement for TweetBot. Although I guess you wouldn't recognize it unless you already knew what it was.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:12 PM   #11
CodeJingle
macrumors regular

There is no age requirement. You qualify to apply even if you are post-grad going for your Masters or Doctorate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
May 2nd!

Nuts I gotta work on something fast! (Undergraduate counts, right?)
CodeJingle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:14 PM   #12
bedifferent

Me want. I didn't read the comments, just jumped immediately. What are the qualifications?

NM, read it. Hmmm, tempting.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:20 PM   #13
jobesucks
macrumors member

I can't for the life of me understand why the money grabbing b@@@@@@s charge an extortionate entry fee to start with
jobesucks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:23 PM   #14
DJJAZZYJET
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobesucks View Post
I can't for the life of me understand why the money grabbing b@@@@@@s charge an extortionate entry fee to start with
Because its a conference mainly for developers and tech analysts. Its not open to the public and isn't intended to be publicly available. Apple set up tons of booths for developers to get help and tips with their coding and apps.
DJJAZZYJET is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:29 PM   #15
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
It sold out in 2 hours last year which means they don't have enough space for all the developers who want to come.

And if it were free there would be a ton of Yahoos like you and me wandering in from off the street which would keep even MORE developers out. It's clearly a smart idea to prevent that.
Small White Car is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:43 PM   #16
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The price is pretty low for a professional conference. Maybe you were thinking this was some sort of fan festival.
wovel is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:47 PM   #17
parish
macrumors 65816

Maybe one of these 13-year-olds can fix the missing album artwork on iDevices bug since Apple's paid staff devs obviously can't
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:54 PM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovel View Post
The price is pretty low for a professional conference. Maybe you were thinking this was some sort of fan festival.
I attended the Tableau customer conference last year in San Diego and I believe it was around $2500.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:00 PM   #19
alfistas
Banned

Can I have one? Please??
alfistas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:09 PM   #20
jobesucks
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovel View Post
I fully understand its intended for devs and journalists, that doesn't mean they have to charge that much, by all means only allocate tickets to devs, just on a first come first served, pretty much as it is now without the extortionate charge
jobesucks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:14 PM   #21
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I fully understand its intended for devs and journalists, that doesn't mean they have to charge that much, by all means only allocate tickets to devs, just on a first come first served, pretty much as it is now without the extortionate charge
(Shrugs shoulders.)

It really isn't that pricey all things considered.

Getting there and back (plus food and hotel) will be nearly as much for some.

I had a small two day trip to a veterinary conference for a photoshoot just the other day and it was 2k without even trying. (Hell, I used a coupon for the buffet! LOL)
chirpie is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:15 PM   #22
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrode View Post
Free product placement for TweetBot. Although I guess you wouldn't recognize it unless you already knew what it was.
Where? All I see is an iPod Touch with people sitting at a computer
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:22 PM   #23
xionxiox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Where? All I see is an iPod Touch with people sitting at a computer
It's distorted behind the iPod Touch.

----------

Quote:
This is for serious developers and there is only so much space (sold out in 2 hours last year). Can you imagine how fast it would fill up if it was cheap??
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:24 PM   #24
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xionxiox View Post
It's distorted behind the iPod Touch.
Ahh I see it now, well spotted!
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:39 PM   #25
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Have you ever been or planned a large conference before? For a well run one of this size, the costs are enormous, from cost of facilities, training, documentation, logistics, planning to name a few--all that costs money.
unlimitedx is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion