Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:05 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook Coffee Meeting Charity Auction Hits $100,000

Charity auction site CharityBuzz kicked off a charity auction for a cup of coffee with Tim Cook this morning and the listing, which has an estimated value of $50,000, went from $5,250 to $100,000 in a matter of hours.

Here are our best guesses of the identities of the top contenders vying to win a coffee date with Cook:

owclarry - Larry O'Connor, the founder and CEO of Other World Computing, a company that provides computer upgrade products and services for Macs. "We would love the opportunity to sit down with Tim and maybe get some insights on where the future lies in his eyes," he told MacRumors.

rory.oneill3 (now charitybidder10) - Rory O'Neill, Vice President of Product & Channel Marketing at BlackBerry.

PasswordBox.com - PasswordBox is a secure password management app which is currently restricted to VIP members only and is available on a wait list basis. Its CEO and co-founder is Daniel Robichaud.

USocketUSBOutlet - U-Socket is an AC receptacle with two built-in USB ports, produced by FastMac, so this bidder is likely someone from the company.

stephen.gill.777 - Stephen Gill, an online marketing executive and co-founder of Leadnomics.

BGStucki - Brian Stucki, Owner of Macminicolo, a Mac Mini colocation service that stores users Mac minis in data centers for use as servers.

At the moment, Other World Computing founder Larry O'Connor, who has been actively bidding throughout the day has the winning bid. Prolific bidder O'Neill previously had the username rory.oneill3, which has now been changed to charitybidder10.

While we have confirmed that Stucki and O'Connor are the bidders behind their usernames, the remaining guesses are based on usernames that match up with known people in tech.

The auction, which ends on May 14, will allow two attendees to spend 30-60 minutes with Cook at Apple Headquarters in Cupertino. Proceeds will benefit the RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights.

Update: We have received an email alleging that the Rory O'Neill bidding in the auction is not affiliated with BlackBerry.

Update 2: The Charitybuzz website appears to utilize Facebook logins (thanks, Johan!) which means some usernames correlate to Facebook usernames. That suggests Rory O'Neill is not the same Rory O'Neill who works at BlackBerry. Bids have now reached $155k, with Sebastijian Bauman in the lead.

Article Link: Tim Cook Coffee Meeting Charity Auction Hits $100,000
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816

Imagine the cost if this was an auction to meet with Steve Jobs instead of Cook.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:09 PM   #3
johnnnw
macrumors 65816

Doubt Steve would have ever done this considering how little he donated to charity.
johnnnw is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4
sshambles
macrumors 6502

I hope OWC founder/CEO gets it to be honest.

OWC are a pretty decent source of Mac upgrades and knowledge and it might be of some benefit perhaps for them to sit down.

Though I'm getting increasingly scared that most of what Apple are making in the future will not be upgradeable. Thankfully the latest 27" iMac still is.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:12 PM   #5
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

This is so fascinating! Seeing all these company executives wanting to speak with the CEO of Apple. They probably want some business guidance or partnership. Interesting to see someone at Blackberry wanting to sit down with him.

Of course, the charity part of it all is great, too.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:14 PM   #6
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Using this as a marketing tool +1. Just hope you dont win!

TouchMint.com is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:16 PM   #7
snebes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
At least someone here gets it. LRO especially is doing it for pure free advertising. How many blogs will cover this story?
snebes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebes View Post
At least someone here gets it. LRO especially is doing it for pure free advertising. How many blogs will cover this story?
it may also send the black berry stock soaring on hopes of apple buying them
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnnw View Post
Doubt Steve would have ever done this considering how little he donated to charity.
I'm the last one to defend Jobs in any way...but do we have a public record of his private charitable donations, if any?

His public policies at Apple were not supportive of charitable giving, but I don't know about any private philanthropy.

Do you have that information??
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:21 PM   #10
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshambles View Post

OWC are a pretty decent source of Mac upgrades and knowledge and it might be of some benefit perhaps for them to sit down.

Though I'm getting increasingly scared that most of what Apple are making in the future will not be upgradeable. Thankfully the latest 27" iMac still is.
Yes it might be beneficial and for business reason for OWC CEO to "sit and have a cup of tea" with Tim.

But to your last point, I don't get it. The new 27" iMac is still upgradeable from what point? The only accessible component is RAM, that's not changing but still, the rests need brave souls or official ASP to make the surgery and upgrade. That's not by any means "upgradeable"
iSayuSay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:21 PM   #11
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I guess these guys really want to know what's going on at 1 Infinite Loop.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:23 PM   #12
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Lol is -BlackBerry looking to offer themselves up? This is embarrassing.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:24 PM   #13
bdkennedy1
macrumors 65816

Steve changed the world with his vision of computing giving even 3rd world countries the opportunities to own a smart phone. I think that's charity enough.

Quote:
bdkennedy1 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:26 PM   #14
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
How do you know he donated little to charity. Just because he wasn't public about it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Lancer
macrumors 68000

And I thought Starbucks was an expensive cup of coffee!

I hope they ask Tim where the new Mac Pro is
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:27 PM   #16
bdkennedy1
macrumors 65816

OWC doesn't just do upgrades, they do accessories. External optical drives, external hard drives, Thunderbolt enclosures, iPhone cases, etc.

But if they think that Tim is going to spill upcoming product announcements they will be very disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshambles View Post

bdkennedy1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:28 PM   #17
B...
macrumors 68000

Now we see the truth why Rory O'Neill wanted to meet with him. He told me in the previous thread that he was just an Apple fan. And now he works for RIM?
B... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:28 PM   #18
Aidan5806
macrumors 6502

I'm sure Larry O'Connor would have something to say about the quickly decreasing number of components of Apple products that can be user upgraded.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:31 PM   #19
s!ke
macrumors member

I asked about the Rory Oneill and he said he is a member on the forums, but not the VP at RIM
s!ke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:31 PM   #20
B...
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
OWC doesn't just do upgrades, they do accessories. External optical drives, external hard drives, Thunderbolt enclosures, iPhone cases, etc.

But if they think that Tim is going to spill upcoming product announcements they will be very disappointed.
How about their SSDs and memory?
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:33 PM   #21
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
Yes it might be beneficial and for business reason for OWC CEO to "sit and have a cup of tea" with Tim.

But to your last point, I don't get it. The new 27" iMac is still upgradeable from what point? The only accessible component is RAM, that's not changing but still, the rests need brave souls or official ASP to make the surgery and upgrade. That's not by any means "upgradeable"
But the only user-upgradable component on the previous iMac was also the RAM. They haven't changed the upgradeability on the 27" in that regard.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:34 PM   #22
stukdog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
BGStucki - Brian Stucki, Owner of Macminicolo, a Mac Mini colocation service that stores users Mac minis in data centers for use as servers.
I gave it a good run, but it quickly left my price range. (And I don't even drink coffee. I would have been satisfied with some OJ and a game of Letterpress.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:34 PM   #23
s!ke
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
It's genius.

Meet with Tim Cook, use it as a business expense (either donation, or business meeting), 100% tax deductible = FREE
s!ke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:42 PM   #24
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

The question is: Will Tim Cook finally have something to say?

I'd be pretty disappointed if I ended up hearing the phrases "magical" and "in our DNA" for a half hour.
swingerofbirch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:46 PM   #25
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

Ok, does anyone else think it's odd that the charity is for justice and human rights when Apple gets a lot of it's stuff from China, who is one of the wort violators of Human Rights?
cmwade77 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion