Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Tony0693
macrumors newbie

Personal project

Hi everyone, thanks for reading this post!

I am a student and I want to put together a website for my fellow university students.

It needs to have a facebook log in, minimalist look (think microsoft flat tile-like buttons on the xbox/phones) and easy to use feel. It needs to have a search bar that will search through a list of content that I will provide. It also needs to have a user "command centre / profile management".

I am giving myself 4 months to complete this website as i am planning to launch it beginning of september.

I know the very basics of HTML/CSS. I also have quite a lot of programming experience in C (if that applies). The problem is that I've never actually built a website. I've only coded programs that ran in the command line / Terminal window.

I am able to pick up new languages fairly quickly but I just don't quite know where to begin.

Suppose that i can get access to any software on Mac OSX or Windows.
Which one do you recommend ?

Photoshop/Dreamweaver?

Thanks in advance!
Tony0693 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony0693 View Post
It needs to have a facebook log in
Is this really a need? If so, why?

Quote:
It needs to have a search bar that will search through a list of content that I will provide.
You most likely will need to incorporate some sort of database functionality. PHP and MySQL are a popular combination for this.

Quote:
Photoshop/Dreamweaver?
If you're going for a minimalist approach, Photoshop isn't going to be the answer. Dreamweaver gets knocked around quite a bit, but I've used it with success.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:57 PM   #3
manueld
macrumors 6502

Why not start with a CMS? Wordpress/Joomla/Drupal -- i believe there's a plugin for each of those that allow using facebook credentials to log in.
manueld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:08 PM   #4
960design
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hi everyone, thanks for reading this post!
Your welcome! We like reading and answering.

Quote:
I am a student and I want to put together a website for my fellow university students.
Okay, gotcha, outstanding.

Quote:
It needs to have a facebook log in, minimalist look (think microsoft flat tile-like buttons on the xbox/phones) and easy to use feel. It needs to have a search bar that will search through a list of content that I will provide. It also needs to have a user "command centre / profile management".
Check, check, check and check

Quote:
I am giving myself 4 months to complete this website as i am planning to launch it beginning of september.
Wow! A pro could finish this in 10 minutes. You... an hour?

Quote:
I know the very basics of HTML/CSS. I also have quite a lot of programming experience in C (if that applies). The problem is that I've never actually built a website. I've only coded programs that ran in the command line / Terminal window.

I am able to pick up new languages fairly quickly but I just don't quite know where to begin.
HTML5 - for the site structure
CSS3 - for the look and feel of the site
PHP - for the backend processing, database, current user, the cool stuff
Javascript ( or jQuery for an easier intro ) - to make the site do all sorts of cool stuff on the web user side (client)

Quote:
Suppose that i can get access to any software on Mac OSX or Windows.
Which one do you recommend ?

Photoshop/Dreamweaver?
You need MAMP for Mac, WAMP for windows to build a test server on your local computer. Google and read up on how to set it up.

For the CMS I'd recommend Wordpress.org. Just download and install into a folder under MAMP or WAMP. Run the install, search for minimalistic themes, search comes prebuilt, do a search for social icon plugins if your theme doesn't include them.

For textediting the site, you could use the clunky but useful editor inside Wordpress ( not recommended but it's in there ).
Here's a partial list of editors: Coda2, Sublime Text 2, Text Wrangler, Notepad++, Dreamweaver ( I don't really like this one, but it works ), Netbeans, Bluefish,

There are so many, you'll just have to find the one you like. I've listed some for windows, linux, MacOS X

Good luck

PS Oh yeah, in the end if you want this hosted to the world you will need a web host. Do a quick google search for the best web hosts for 2013 and see what pops up. I've used justhost (awesome and free backups), hostgator ( awesome as well, haven't used it this year ), go daddy ( hate it, hate it, hate it ).
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Tony0693
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Is this really a need? If so, why?

You most likely will need to incorporate some sort of database functionality. PHP and MySQL are a popular combination for this.

If you're going for a minimalist approach, Photoshop isn't going to be the answer. Dreamweaver gets knocked around quite a bit, but I've used it with success.
Logging in with facebook is way more popular with college students than signing up with email

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960design View Post
Your welcome! We like reading and answering.

Okay, gotcha, outstanding.

Check, check, check and check

Wow! A pro could finish this in 10 minutes. You... an hour?

HTML5 - for the site structure
CSS3 - for the look and feel of the site
PHP - for the backend processing, database, current user, the cool stuff
Javascript ( or jQuery for an easier intro ) - to make the site do all sorts of cool stuff on the web user side (client)

You need MAMP for Mac, WAMP for windows to build a test server on your local computer. Google and read up on how to set it up.

For the CMS I'd recommend Wordpress.org. Just download and install into a folder under MAMP or WAMP. Run the install, search for minimalistic themes, search comes prebuilt, do a search for social icon plugins if your theme doesn't include them.

For textediting the site, you could use the clunky but useful editor inside Wordpress ( not recommended but it's in there ).
Here's a partial list of editors: Coda2, Sublime Text 2, Text Wrangler, Notepad++, Dreamweaver ( I don't really like this one, but it works ), Netbeans, Bluefish,

There are so many, you'll just have to find the one you like. I've listed some for windows, linux, MacOS X

Good luck

PS Oh yeah, in the end if you want this hosted to the world you will need a web host. Do a quick google search for the best web hosts for 2013 and see what pops up. I've used justhost (awesome and free backups), hostgator ( awesome as well, haven't used it this year ), go daddy ( hate it, hate it, hate it ).
There is a lot of features i want to add But I'm giving myself 4 months because of the data entry I'll need to do. I was planning on hosting it on hostgator, seems like the most popular choice. I will check justhost !

Thank you very much for the useful reply!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:05 PM   #6
macalec
macrumors 6502

I would try to utilize a cms such as joomla or wordpress for this project.
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:17 PM   #7
fig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Logging in with facebook is way more popular with college students than signing up with email
I think the question was more intended as "why is a log in required for the site?"

Good answers all around though, 960 had some good info for you in particular.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Tony0693
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
I think the question was more intended as "why is a log in required for the site?"

Good answers all around though, 960 had some good info for you in particular.
The students need to have access to their own user page. Think a bit like subscriptions for youtube ..
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
The students need to have access to their own user page. Think a bit like subscriptions for youtube ..
Youtube probably isn't the best example, since it's tied to a Google/gmail account. Tons of websites don't use your email address for a login.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:38 PM   #10
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

I'm with then others suggesting an open source CMS as a starting point to build out your site, especially considering your experience as outlined in your original posting here. It's a no brainer, in fact.

http://www.opensourcecms.com
SrWebDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:48 PM   #11
chaos86
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to chaos86
Wordpress is not a full CMS, it's a blogging engine that too many programmers pretend is a full CMS, and beat up until it sort of acts like one.
chaos86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:53 PM   #12
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos86 View Post
Wordpress is not a full CMS, it's a blogging engine that too many programmers pretend is a full CMS, and beat up until it sort of acts like one.
Tripe. Add Advanced Custom Fields into the mix and its good to go for almost anything.
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development