Warning! There are nuts in peanuts - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:22 PM   #1
afd
macrumors 6502a

Warning! There are nuts in peanuts

BBC reporting that peanuts had to be withdrawn because they contain peanuts.

Nuts. Just nuts.
afd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd View Post

Nuts. Just nuts.
See my sig...
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
afd
macrumors 6502a

He was right. I don't think that anyone with a peanut allergy that doesn't care enough to find out what they are is going to be missed.
afd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd View Post

Nuts. Just nuts.
It's not nuts its the law
Gav2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:20 PM   #5
afd
macrumors 6502a

Same thing sometimes.
afd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:45 PM   #6
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Technically a peanut isn't actually a nut at all: its a legume or "bean."

Peanut and other Food Allergies are increasingly common, and the results to a person so afflicted consuming them are terrifying, and can be fatal:

Quote:
She didn’t have hives or other external signs parents often rely upon, but internally her body shut down. At her doctor’s office, the medical team had to use two EpiPens, adrenaline-loaded syringes, along with steroids and an array of drugs to bring her back.
So, yes: It does seem sorta common-sense that something labelled "Monkey Nuts" would have peanuts in them. But it is important for general food safety regulations that they be applied consistently. If someone selling a whole bag of peanuts can get away without adequately labeling them, why do we hold people selling products containing just a trace to a different standard?

We can all have a good laugh about the absurdity of this sort of thing. But as far as I'm concerned, its just evidence that our food safety system is (sorta) working as it should.
vrDrew is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

I don't understand why airlines are banning peanuts but allowing pets to fly on the plane in the passenger area ? While not as quick acting as a peanut allergy, a pet allergy can be just as bad with a long time exposure. The air is circulated around the cabin so you are affected no matter where they put the pet in the passenger cabin.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:53 PM   #8
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Peanut-tainted simian testicles
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
Peanut-tainted simian testicles
Yup...the low road again...

Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:27 PM   #10
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Wait!

I didn't know monkey nuts contain peanuts!

Do my nuts contain peanuts, too?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Wait!

I didn't know monkey nuts contain peanuts!

Do my nuts contain peanuts, too?
Yes, of course they do, Dear Boy.

You can go lie down now and rest.

It will be good for you.

OMG!!!

Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:27 PM   #12
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I don't understand why airlines are banning peanuts but allowing pets to fly on the plane in the passenger area ? While not as quick acting as a peanut allergy, a pet allergy can be just as bad with a long time exposure. The air is circulated around the cabin so you are affected no matter where they put the pet in the passenger cabin.
That is simply malarky. Peanuts can kill those who are allergic. Pet allergies simply are an annoyance. Anaphylactic shock (death) vs. a runny nose and itchy eyes. Also, with airlines banning sharp objects, an eninephrine injection device to prevent peanut-related death would not be possible, while allergy medication for pet allergies is perfectly feasible.
AlphaDogg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:17 AM   #13
auhagen
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
That is simply malarky. Peanuts can kill those who are allergic. Pet allergies simply are an annoyance. Anaphylactic shock (death) vs. a runny nose and itchy eyes. Also, with airlines banning sharp objects, an eninephrine injection device to prevent peanut-related death would not be possible, while allergy medication for pet allergies is perfectly feasible.
You obviously does not suffer from allergy from pets.
Some of us, gets sick for a couple of days, how fair is it that my vacation is gonna be ruined by old ladys little "fluffy". Yes it may "only" be an annoyance in your eyes, but scratching all over the body, constantly, and having trouble breathing is not as fun as it sounds, and it's not always it just will go away by pills.

And you can get a dispensation for an eninephrine injector. I know it, my mom does..

If you suffer from allergies, simply ask whats in the food, or check it your self. I'm allergic to some foods, and I simply ask, and hey, it doesn't need to be banned, because I use my logic....
If the staff simply cannot answer my question, theres always something else to eat..
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:51 AM   #14
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Also, with airlines banning sharp objects, an eninephrine injection device to prevent peanut-related death would not be possible...
You can take such a device onto a plane, as long as you notify the security check people and have written authorisation signed by you doctor. I've taken syringes on planes myself this way without any problems at all.

That being said, it's still prudent to try and prevent a potentially fatal nut allergy situation in the first place of course.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:00 AM   #15
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Epi pens are allowed
Gav2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:30 PM   #16
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Epi pens are allowed
Peanuts are also allowed, at least in the US. All of the airlines I usually fly still serve them but give passengers a choice.
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:34 PM   #17
ManicMarc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
Technically a peanut isn't actually a nut at all: its a legume or "bean."

Peanut and other Food Allergies are increasingly common, and the results to a person so afflicted consuming them are terrifying, and can be fatal:

So, yes: It does seem sorta common-sense that something labelled "Monkey Nuts" would have peanuts in them. But it is important for general food safety regulations that they be applied consistently. If someone selling a whole bag of peanuts can get away without adequately labeling them, why do we hold people selling products containing just a trace to a different standard?

We can all have a good laugh about the absurdity of this sort of thing. But as far as I'm concerned, its just evidence that our food safety system is (sorta) working as it should.
+1 Well said
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:16 PM   #18
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cake View Post
You can take such a device onto a plane, as long as you notify the security check people and have written authorisation signed by you doctor. I've taken syringes on planes myself this way without any problems at all.
Ok, I was wrong about the epipen. However, that does not change the fact that a peanut allergy is potentially fatal while pet/dander allergies are not. To those who say a pet allergy is as bad as a peanut allergy, you are biased due to your own circumstances. I, personally, do not have a single food allergy or pet allergy, but I have family members who suffer from both. Thus, I believe myself to be impartial to the argument.

My brother almost died from ingesting something containing peanuts, and my parents' sinuses are affected greatly when in the presence of pet dander. Which is worse? I think you know.

Also for what it's worth, don't airplanes have air filters which can filter out airborne particles? If so, this discussion is useless.
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:12 PM   #19
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Ok, I was wrong about the epipen. However, that does not change the fact that a peanut allergy is potentially fatal while pet/dander allergies are not. To those who say a pet allergy is as bad as a peanut allergy, you are biased due to your own circumstances. I, personally, do not have a single food allergy or pet allergy, but I have family members who suffer from both. Thus, I believe myself to be impartial to the argument.

My brother almost died from ingesting something containing peanuts, and my parents' sinuses are affected greatly when in the presence of pet dander. Which is worse? I think you know.

Also for what it's worth, don't airplanes have air filters which can filter out airborne particles? If so, this discussion is useless.
It's not just airborne that I would find an issue. My son has problems with cat hair. It triggers his asthma.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:20 PM   #20
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
It's not just airborne that I would find an issue. My son has problems with cat hair. It triggers his asthma.
If he touches cat hair, he starts coughing? Something seems off here.

I'm not sure you understand what airborne means.

Also, one last time: asthma>death. Coughing>death. Itching>death. Sneezing>death. Hard time breathing>death. IT'S DEATH, PEOPLE!
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:30 PM   #21
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
If he touches cat hair, he starts coughing? Something seems off here.

I'm not sure you understand what airborne means.

Also, one last time: asthma>death. Coughing>death. Itching>death. Sneezing>death. Hard time breathing>death. IT'S DEATH, PEOPLE!
Yes I understand what airborne is! If my son was to sit in a seat previously occupied by a cat he would start coughing then is asthma would start. Yes maybe some particles may be kicked up but its still not acceptable.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:26 PM   #22
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Just FYI, you should know its not cat hair, it's the dried saliva that people have reactions to.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:53 AM   #23
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I'm glad you are so knowledgeable . One to two hours of contact with a cat means I nearly stop breathing and need immediate medical assistance. For many people it isn't just runny noses and itchy eyes. Peanut allergies are more serious (no arguments there) since the effects are immediate but, pet allergies can be just as dangerous to people for long term exposure (being stuck near one for the duration of a plane flight).
Plutonius is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:33 PM   #24
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I'm glad you are so knowledgeable . One to two hours of contact with a cat means I nearly stop breathing and need immediate medical assistance. For many people it isn't just runny noses and itchy eyes. Peanut allergies are more serious (no arguments there) since the effects are immediate but, pet allergies can be just as dangerous to people for long term exposure (being stuck near one for the duration of a plane flight).
What it really boils down is:
1) there are far more people with a potentially fatal reaction to peanuts than to cats.
2) there are far more peanuts on planes, (schools, restaurants, kitchens, stores) than cats.
3) it is not just the peanuts on a particular flight than cause the reaction, but also any peanut debris from previous flights. If a tiny bit of peanut is smeared on the side of the tray table it's easy to get some on your fingers while pulling it out. From there it goes gets onto the fork, for instance, when you pull it out of the wrapper, and then a tiny bit of peanut residue gets into your mouth. If you are very sensitive you now start your reaction.

I have sympathy for you though, as I understand that allergies to cats can also be severe. But these are far more uncommon and the persistence is not generally as great. Most people who are allergic to animals generally have to be close to the animal. If you have a pet allergy and you are sitting next to a pet carrier you can see the contagion. Ask to be moved. If the flight attendant is reluctant to move you, tell them to warn the captain they may be making an urgent unscheduled landing about half way through the flight for medical reasons. My friend tells me that usually gets their attention, though you need to back this up with a physician prescribed medication. If you are that sensitive then you need to be prepared as well.

I do not have severe allergies, but I have enough friends who do.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:16 PM   #25
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
What it really boils down is:
1) there are far more people with a potentially fatal reaction to peanuts than to cats.
2) there are far more peanuts on planes, (schools, restaurants, kitchens, stores) than cats.
3) it is not just the peanuts on a particular flight than cause the reaction, but also any peanut debris from previous flights. If a tiny bit of peanut is smeared on the side of the tray table it's easy to get some on your fingers while pulling it out. From there it goes gets onto the fork, for instance, when you pull it out of the wrapper, and then a tiny bit of peanut residue gets into your mouth. If you are very sensitive you now start your reaction.

I have sympathy for you though, as I understand that allergies to cats can also be severe. But these are far more uncommon and the persistence is not generally as great. Most people who are allergic to animals generally have to be close to the animal. If you have a pet allergy and you are sitting next to a pet carrier you can see the contagion. Ask to be moved. If the flight attendant is reluctant to move you, tell them to warn the captain they may be making an urgent unscheduled landing about half way through the flight for medical reasons. My friend tells me that usually gets their attention, though you need to back this up with a physician prescribed medication. If you are that sensitive then you need to be prepared as well.

I do not have severe allergies, but I have enough friends who do.
I actually know many more people who would suffer a medical emergency with extended contact with animals then are allergic to peanuts. It is not as uncommon as you think it is and the main reason you don't hear about it is that it's more easily controlled (it takes a longer exposure). No arguments with you though that a peanut allergy is much more dangerous.

As far as changing seats in the plane, there was a story last year (or the year before) of a passenger with cat allergies being seated next to someone with a cat. They air crew refused to move anyone even after being made aware of the extreme cat alleges and the passenger required medical assistance when the plan reached it's destination. Can you really expect the airlines to do the right thing about allergies when they have made passengers sit on the tarmac for 12 hours before takeoff, etc.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events