Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:53 PM   #1
zipur
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The great state of Texas
Is the iPad in trouble with the latest Samsung offerings?

Watch this apple better step up their game
http://youtu.be/N3E7fUynrZU
zipur is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Great hardware, it'll be used by Apple eventually if there's a market.

Problem with Samsung much like Sony is they have fantastic hardware engineers but their software is way behind or dependent on outside sources. Almost seems like an afterthought.

They're also stuck in the sell em new hardware and little if any support for last years model.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:53 PM   #3
ditzy
macrumors 68000
 
ditzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
When this is an actual shipping product Apple have something to be worried about. Until then not so much.
__________________
15 inch retina MBP. 64GB iPhone 5s Gold, iPad mini 32GB Black and slate.
ditzy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 01:44 PM   #4
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a
 
DesertEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: /home @ 127.0.0.1
Wouldn't surprise me. My next tablet might well be a Samsung, and I doubt I'm the only iPad owner who thinks this way.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:13 PM   #5
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
How are they in trouble? Apple doesn't make screens or any other technology that's in their devices... they just know when to use the right technologies to make the best devices. If flexible displays hit the market and are something worth using, you'll see it in iOS devices too.
TimUSCA is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:19 PM   #6
bri1212
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipur View Post
Watch this apple better step up their game
http://youtu.be/N3E7fUynrZU
After looking at the video, I can't help but wonder what your getting excited about. As someone who has seen and used the previous Samsung offerings, which seem to stutter every time I pick them up. It is hard to get excited about Flex anything, when they can't seem to even support the products they are offering now.
bri1212 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Batavian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Love the shills in the audience clapping. Very Apple like.
__________________
I miss the down arrow.
Batavian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 06:51 PM   #8
tazz3
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
ipad will allways be the peoples choice for tablets
tazz3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 06:56 PM   #9
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Great hardware, it'll be used by Apple eventually if there's a market.

Problem with Samsung much like Sony is they have fantastic hardware engineers but their software is way behind or dependent on outside sources. Almost seems like an afterthought.

They're also stuck in the sell em new hardware and little if any support for last years model.
Agreed. In today's market, you need more than just great hardware. There must also be a software fabric and services and content to tie everything together. In this regard, Apple excels. Nothing alone can match the combined offerings of iCloud, iTunes, etc.

Aristotle once said the whole is greater than the sum of it parts. Apple is more than just iTunes or just iPhone or just iPad. It's everything that works together.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Boomish69
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Agreed. In today's market, you need more than just great hardware. There must also be a software fabric and services and content to tie everything together. In this regard, Apple excels. Nothing alone can match the combined offerings of iCloud, iTunes, etc.

Aristotle once said the whole is greater than the sum of it parts. Apple is more than just iTunes or just iPhone or just iPad. It's everything that works together.
I wish that was the case I think Apple is now way behind Google Cloud services, I have to manually make sure my iPad, iPhone and my Mac sync together properly even then it's not everything. With Chrome and Android it's only 1 sign in and they are all synced, I saw my friend setup his and I must admit I did wish mine did all that. I have to use Chrome now for browser syncing and WTF is up with not being able to sync mail rules!
Boomish69 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 10:22 PM   #11
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Ipad still have people choice for Tablet, of course. But i think people are starting to fall for those little s pen to use for drawing and note taking as well.

I dont think the problem with Samsung is the software part but its because they use so much PR budget that is almost double of what apple and htc combined. As result, the quality of their handset is low, built with cheap plastic. U know, i would prefer a glass back/front mediocre spec phone than a superb spec cover with all plastic.
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
I wish that was the case I think Apple is now way behind Google Cloud services, I have to manually make sure my iPad, iPhone and my Mac sync together properly even then it's not everything. With Chrome and Android it's only 1 sign in and they are all synced, I saw my friend setup his and I must admit I did wish mine did all that. I have to use Chrome now for browser syncing and WTF is up with not being able to sync mail rules!
Yea, there's definitely room for improvement on both. Google cloud services doesn't have anything like iTunes Match. But Google has more fine tune controls versus iCloud which is very invisible. And etc. This is good because Apple and Google are pressuring the other to do better.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 06:52 AM   #13
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
iPad had the benefit of being the first successful tablet, at some point Apple's competitors would find a combination of design, features and price that would effectively compete.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 07:46 AM   #14
62tele
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Get a clue. Apple has been doing R&D and design using flexible and curved displays for several years. This isn't new.

Here's betting Apple design team does okay in this area.

Regarding iPad, look at consumer preferences and wish lists...people want iPads as their first choice.

Apple has stronger competition but it doesn't mean they're in trouble.
62tele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 08:19 AM   #15
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipur View Post
Watch this apple better step up their game
http://youtu.be/N3E7fUynrZU
No, because these displays are bought by companies like Apple. It's not like Samsung developed this technology exclusively for themselves.

In fact, Samsung is really 'split up' in lots of small companies. The folks working on this display, may have no contact at all with the folks working on the Galaxy phones or tablets. The Galaxy folks have to buy these screens from the display folks - and they get little to no priority over other companies like Apple or HTC.

Also, what they show you in the video "phone to tablet" (one single device) and such, do not exist yet.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 08:31 AM   #16
DMH3006
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
I wish that was the case I think Apple is now way behind Google Cloud services, I have to manually make sure my iPad, iPhone and my Mac sync together properly even then it's not everything. With Chrome and Android it's only 1 sign in and they are all synced, I saw my friend setup his and I must admit I did wish mine did all that. I have to use Chrome now for browser syncing and WTF is up with not being able to sync mail rules!
Really?Enabled iCloud on my iPad and iPhone,everything synced except for apps obviously,messages,contacts,photos and safari.
DMH3006 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 11:50 AM   #17
jreuschl
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I would consider another tablet, but the biggest reason I won't is this:

http://www.pocketables.com/2013/01/t...good-idea.html

Anytime I use a different aspect ratio tablet, it drives me nuts for that reason alone!
jreuschl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 11:58 AM   #18
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH3006 View Post
Really?Enabled iCloud on my iPad and iPhone,everything synced except for apps obviously,messages,contacts,photos and safari.
iCloud syncs all of the above? Did I miss read your post?
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 01:41 PM   #19
DMH3006
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
iCloud syncs all of the above? Did I miss read your post?
I meant to say it synced messages,contacts,photos and safari and did not sync apps.
DMH3006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 10:21 PM   #20
bursthead
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Yea, there's definitely room for improvement on both. Google cloud services doesn't have anything like iTunes Match. But Google has more fine tune controls versus iCloud which is very invisible. And etc. This is good because Apple and Google are pressuring the other to do better.
I'm guessing you have never heard of google play. It was out before itunes match. I think it's alot better than itunes match in execution and the ability to take my music anywhere I go. I had a ton off issues with itunes match destroying my entire library. I had songs that I have never even owned added to my library.
__________________
Current as of 6/13/2013: Verizon Note 3,White iPad Air 16gb ATT. Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Z10 ATT. Proud unlimited iPad ATT Data Plan Owner & Verizon Unlimited Data User.
bursthead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 04:30 AM   #21
Michael CM1
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1212 View Post
After looking at the video, I can't help but wonder what your getting excited about. As someone who has seen and used the previous Samsung offerings, which seem to stutter every time I pick them up. It is hard to get excited about Flex anything, when they can't seem to even support the products they are offering now.
If Samsung's crack at Android even remotely resembles the crappy Internet features on my TV, I can't believe people would actually choose a Galaxy. Thankfully I'm pretty sure the phones are more user friendly than my TV.
__________________
13.3" 2014 MacBook Air; Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver 64GB iPhone 6; white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV (x2)
Michael CM1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 05:44 AM   #22
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH3006 View Post
I meant to say it synced messages,contacts,photos and safari and did not sync apps.
oh right.

Well Apple does allow auto download on apps and some apps include iCloud sync. Needs to happen on more though. Especially games.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 06:38 AM   #23
DMH3006
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
oh right.

Well Apple does allow auto download on apps and some apps include iCloud sync. Needs to happen on more though. Especially games.
Developers need to implement it but i think Apple was changing how the syncing works so not a lot of developers have done it yet.
DMH3006 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 03:00 PM   #24
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipur View Post
Watch this apple better step up their game
http://youtu.be/N3E7fUynrZU
They are taking about a display that could very possibly end up in Apple products.

So there's no need to step up anything.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 12:50 AM   #25
snowcrash
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston MA, USA
That commercial was cheesy as hell but damn I want that thing the last guy snaps out.
snowcrash is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Plays a Bigger Role in Latest Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 123 Apr 5, 2014 08:49 AM
Samsung Tops Apple in Latest J.D. Power Tablet Customer Satisfaction Survey MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 177 Nov 6, 2013 07:17 PM
Trouble deciding: iPad mini vs iPad 2 vs Retina iPad? Do NOT get an iPad 2. ThatsMeRight iPad 27 Oct 28, 2012 03:26 PM
Apple loses samsung copyright appeal . Has to advertise samsung did not copy the ipad 725032 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 22 Oct 18, 2012 10:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC