Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:53 PM   #1
zipur
macrumors 6502

Is the iPad in trouble with the latest Samsung offerings?

Watch this apple better step up their game
http://youtu.be/N3E7fUynrZU
zipur is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Great hardware, it'll be used by Apple eventually if there's a market.

Problem with Samsung much like Sony is they have fantastic hardware engineers but their software is way behind or dependent on outside sources. Almost seems like an afterthought.

They're also stuck in the sell em new hardware and little if any support for last years model.
blueroom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:53 PM   #3
ditzy
macrumors 68000

When this is an actual shipping product Apple have something to be worried about. Until then not so much.
Old May 1, 2013, 01:44 PM   #4
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't surprise me. My next tablet might well be a Samsung, and I doubt I'm the only iPad owner who thinks this way.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:13 PM   #5
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

How are they in trouble? Apple doesn't make screens or any other technology that's in their devices... they just know when to use the right technologies to make the best devices. If flexible displays hit the market and are something worth using, you'll see it in iOS devices too.
TimUSCA is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:19 PM   #6
bri1212
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipur View Post
After looking at the video, I can't help but wonder what your getting excited about. As someone who has seen and used the previous Samsung offerings, which seem to stutter every time I pick them up. It is hard to get excited about Flex anything, when they can't seem to even support the products they are offering now.
bri1212 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Love the shills in the audience clapping. Very Apple like.
Old May 1, 2013, 06:51 PM   #8
tazz3
macrumors regular

ipad will allways be the peoples choice for tablets
tazz3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 06:56 PM   #9
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Great hardware, it'll be used by Apple eventually if there's a market.

Problem with Samsung much like Sony is they have fantastic hardware engineers but their software is way behind or dependent on outside sources. Almost seems like an afterthought.

They're also stuck in the sell em new hardware and little if any support for last years model.
Agreed. In today's market, you need more than just great hardware. There must also be a software fabric and services and content to tie everything together. In this regard, Apple excels. Nothing alone can match the combined offerings of iCloud, iTunes, etc.

Aristotle once said the whole is greater than the sum of it parts. Apple is more than just iTunes or just iPhone or just iPad. It's everything that works together.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Boomish69
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Agreed. In today's market, you need more than just great hardware. There must also be a software fabric and services and content to tie everything together. In this regard, Apple excels. Nothing alone can match the combined offerings of iCloud, iTunes, etc.

Aristotle once said the whole is greater than the sum of it parts. Apple is more than just iTunes or just iPhone or just iPad. It's everything that works together.
I wish that was the case I think Apple is now way behind Google Cloud services, I have to manually make sure my iPad, iPhone and my Mac sync together properly even then it's not everything. With Chrome and Android it's only 1 sign in and they are all synced, I saw my friend setup his and I must admit I did wish mine did all that. I have to use Chrome now for browser syncing and WTF is up with not being able to sync mail rules!
Boomish69 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 10:22 PM   #11
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Ipad still have people choice for Tablet, of course. But i think people are starting to fall for those little s pen to use for drawing and note taking as well.

I dont think the problem with Samsung is the software part but its because they use so much PR budget that is almost double of what apple and htc combined. As result, the quality of their handset is low, built with cheap plastic. U know, i would prefer a glass back/front mediocre spec phone than a superb spec cover with all plastic.
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
I wish that was the case I think Apple is now way behind Google Cloud services, I have to manually make sure my iPad, iPhone and my Mac sync together properly even then it's not everything. With Chrome and Android it's only 1 sign in and they are all synced, I saw my friend setup his and I must admit I did wish mine did all that. I have to use Chrome now for browser syncing and WTF is up with not being able to sync mail rules!
Yea, there's definitely room for improvement on both. Google cloud services doesn't have anything like iTunes Match. But Google has more fine tune controls versus iCloud which is very invisible. And etc. This is good because Apple and Google are pressuring the other to do better.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:52 AM   #13
maflynn

iPad had the benefit of being the first successful tablet, at some point Apple's competitors would find a combination of design, features and price that would effectively compete.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:46 AM   #14
62tele
macrumors regular

Get a clue. Apple has been doing R&D and design using flexible and curved displays for several years. This isn't new.

Here's betting Apple design team does okay in this area.

Regarding iPad, look at consumer preferences and wish lists...people want iPads as their first choice.

Apple has stronger competition but it doesn't mean they're in trouble.
62tele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 08:19 AM   #15
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
No, because these displays are bought by companies like Apple. It's not like Samsung developed this technology exclusively for themselves.

In fact, Samsung is really 'split up' in lots of small companies. The folks working on this display, may have no contact at all with the folks working on the Galaxy phones or tablets. The Galaxy folks have to buy these screens from the display folks - and they get little to no priority over other companies like Apple or HTC.

Also, what they show you in the video "phone to tablet" (one single device) and such, do not exist yet.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 08:31 AM   #16
DMH3006
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
Really?Enabled iCloud on my iPad and iPhone,everything synced except for apps obviously,messages,contacts,photos and safari.
DMH3006 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 11:50 AM   #17
jreuschl
macrumors 6502

I would consider another tablet, but the biggest reason I won't is this:

http://www.pocketables.com/2013/01/t...good-idea.html

Anytime I use a different aspect ratio tablet, it drives me nuts for that reason alone!
jreuschl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 11:58 AM   #18
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH3006 View Post
Really?Enabled iCloud on my iPad and iPhone,everything synced except for apps obviously,messages,contacts,photos and safari.
iCloud syncs all of the above? Did I miss read your post?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 01:41 PM   #19
DMH3006
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
iCloud syncs all of the above? Did I miss read your post?
I meant to say it synced messages,contacts,photos and safari and did not sync apps.
DMH3006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 10:21 PM   #20
bursthead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Yea, there's definitely room for improvement on both. Google cloud services doesn't have anything like iTunes Match. But Google has more fine tune controls versus iCloud which is very invisible. And etc. This is good because Apple and Google are pressuring the other to do better.
I'm guessing you have never heard of google play. It was out before itunes match. I think it's alot better than itunes match in execution and the ability to take my music anywhere I go. I had a ton off issues with itunes match destroying my entire library. I had songs that I have never even owned added to my library.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:30 AM   #21
Michael CM1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1212 View Post
After looking at the video, I can't help but wonder what your getting excited about. As someone who has seen and used the previous Samsung offerings, which seem to stutter every time I pick them up. It is hard to get excited about Flex anything, when they can't seem to even support the products they are offering now.
If Samsung's crack at Android even remotely resembles the crappy Internet features on my TV, I can't believe people would actually choose a Galaxy. Thankfully I'm pretty sure the phones are more user friendly than my TV.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:44 AM   #22
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH3006 View Post
I meant to say it synced messages,contacts,photos and safari and did not sync apps.
oh right.

Well Apple does allow auto download on apps and some apps include iCloud sync. Needs to happen on more though. Especially games.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 06:38 AM   #23
DMH3006
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
oh right.

Well Apple does allow auto download on apps and some apps include iCloud sync. Needs to happen on more though. Especially games.
Developers need to implement it but i think Apple was changing how the syncing works so not a lot of developers have done it yet.
DMH3006 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 03:00 PM   #24
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
They are taking about a display that could very possibly end up in Apple products.

So there's no need to step up anything.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 12:50 AM   #25
snowcrash
macrumors regular

That commercial was cheesy as hell but damn I want that thing the last guy snaps out.
snowcrash is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices