Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1, 2013, 01:51 AM   #1
iConor50
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Sticky and dirty keys

So recently I noticed a small amount of dirt in the area where the backlight from the keyboard comes out and the left arrow key is VERY sticky and will hardly place, I've no insurance etc so what do I do?
iConor50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 03:38 AM   #2
sparkie7
macrumors 68000
 
sparkie7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Stop jizzing over your keyboard. hehe
sparkie7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 03:55 AM   #3
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a
 
DesertEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: /home @ 127.0.0.1
Here is how to clean the keyboard: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie7 View Post
Stop jizzing over your keyboard. hehe
No ****. It can even make you go blind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	410383  
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a
 
BenTrovato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
These boards are really sensitive to liquid so watch out for that. If the key is sticky, get a damp cloth, but not damp that water will leak out of it and into the board. Just dab it a few times and if you have a thin piece of plastic you can scrape away the stickiness. Get a dry cloth and rub it all clean. Spray it with compressed air afterward.

The best way to avoid this is to clean it once a week to avoid anything plugging it up.
BenTrovato is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 11:09 AM   #5
sparkie7
macrumors 68000
 
sparkie7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
The best way to avoid this is to clean it once a week to avoid anything plugging it up.
or keyboard cover?
sparkie7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 11:12 AM   #6
ratboy90
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I don't know whether this works on MBAs but on my old MBP I could take off the keys and just use compressed air to clean everything.

Or as stated before just fap farther away from your laptop.
ratboy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 12:00 PM   #7
iConor50
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
These boards are really sensitive to liquid so watch out for that. If the key is sticky, get a damp cloth, but not damp that water will leak out of it and into the board. Just dab it a few times and if you have a thin piece of plastic you can scrape away the stickiness. Get a dry cloth and rub it all clean. Spray it with compressed air afterward.

The best way to avoid this is to clean it once a week to avoid anything plugging it up.
sorry, i meant sticky as in when pressing it it sticks
iConor50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 12:13 PM   #8
ratboy90
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iConor50 View Post
sorry, i meant sticky as in when pressing it it sticks
Take a look at this: http://youtu.be/kh88cn_rtLo and try it. There's no actual risk doing it. Otherwise maybe take it to apple if you still have warranty
ratboy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 01:31 PM   #9
iConor50
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy90 View Post
Take a look at this: http://youtu.be/kh88cn_rtLo and try it. There's no actual risk doing it. Otherwise maybe take it to apple if you still have warranty
compressed air? wld it work? cos the sticky key just has like dirt under it
iConor50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 01:34 PM   #10
ratboy90
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iConor50 View Post
compressed air? wld it work? cos the sticky key just has like dirt under it
It did for me when I had a MBP. If all you have is dirt underneath then I'm sure compressed air will help. Plus, there's no harm in trying.
ratboy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 11:32 AM   #11
iConor50
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy90 View Post
It did for me when I had a MBP. If all you have is dirt underneath then I'm sure compressed air will help. Plus, there's no harm in trying.
just a little scared incase i break something as I've no insurance etc on it
iConor50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 12:47 PM   #12
rpaloalto
macrumors 6502a
 
rpaloalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palo Alto CA.
Dont use water!
I would use isopropyl alcohol that is 99% and some compressed air. Keep your macbook turned off.
The rubbing alcohol evaporates very quickly, but still allows enough time to dissolve any gunk.

Most rubbing alcohol is 70% or 80%, try and find one that is 99%.
__________________
Mac Pro, ACD, 2 iMacs, Dell Mini Hackintosh, iBook g3, eMac, iPhone + several iPods
rpaloalto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 01:27 PM   #13
ayres
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
about once every month, i run a black & decker hand vac over the keys. first i turn my mbp off, and sometimes i hold the computer at an angle or hold it upside down while vacuuming. it seems to work well - has dislodged grit that gets under keys that results in partial 'pushdown'. then i run a optical/electronic wipe (etoh) over and around the keys. (yeah, don't use water, as mentioned above - alcohol evaporates better)

all-in-all, two or three minutes, and done every month, this will keep the keyboard in tip-top condition.
ayres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 07:46 PM   #14
stefanie7055
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaloalto View Post
Dont use water!
I would use isopropyl alcohol that is 99% and some compressed air. Keep your macbook turned off.
The rubbing alcohol evaporates very quickly, but still allows enough time to dissolve any gunk.

Most rubbing alcohol is 70% or 80%, try and find one that is 99%.
I was about to type pretty much exactly this...minus the particulars about alcohol composition.

I regularly use compressed air on all my studio gear, and then swab with alcohol on a Q-Tip...works wonders for sticky keys.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (1.8GHz Dual i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage)
Mac mini (2.6GHz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 1 TB)
iPhone 5 (Black, 16GB)
PowerMac G4 x 2...still my favourites.

Last edited by stefanie7055; May 4, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
stefanie7055 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Command+Q = Sticky Keys Mhaddy Mac Basics and Help 4 Sep 6, 2013 07:06 AM
Sticky Retina MBP Keys After Spill ForeverG5 MacBook Pro 10 Mar 20, 2013 11:05 AM
Sticky RMBP keys Free Ale MacBook Pro 1 Dec 3, 2012 01:15 PM
Sticky MBA Keys Glockron MacBook Air 2 Nov 4, 2012 05:42 PM
Anyone know how to bind apple remote control keys to fn+f# keys? sarah.kho Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jun 4, 2012 07:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC