Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 3, 2013, 01:39 PM   #1
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

HandBrake 0.9.9 Preview Release

HandBrake just posted a 0.9.9 Preview Release in anticipation of a 0.9.9 Public Release soon.

http://handbrake.fr/?article=16

Anyone wanting to check it out, we could use some bug testing and feedback. The page links to a feedback page etc.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 04:05 PM   #2
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Cool! I'm glad you added notification center support on OSX. Hiss worked fine but native support is much better. And I know this is a little off topic and most likely in the wrong place, but can you consider adding a feature that sends an email to notify when an encode is done? Thanks again dynaflash!
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
I know this is a little off topic and most likely in the wrong place, but can you consider adding a feature that sends an email to notify when an encode is done?
maybe. though doubtful. I will put it in the request chain.

That said I can tell you it would not make 0.9.9. This is an RC so as such its just to test bugs. There would be no new features added as HB is on a feature freeze.
dynaflash is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 04:15 PM   #4
powaking
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
maybe. though doubtful. I will put it in the request chain.

That said I can tell you it would not make 0.9.9. This is an RC so as such its just to test bugs. There would be no new features added as HB is on a feature freeze.
Would tying into the Messenger app be workable to send an iMessage instead?
Old May 3, 2013, 04:19 PM   #5
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by powaking View Post
Would tying into the Messenger app be workable to send an iMessage instead?
Possibly but here again, hb is in a feature freeze. no new features until 0.9.9 Public is released. But will take a look at it after. If so it would show up in the normal nightlies.
Old May 3, 2013, 06:42 PM   #6
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Possibly but here again, hb is in a feature freeze. no new features until 0.9.9 Public is released. But will take a look at it after. If so it would show up in the normal nightlies.
Yeah, of course. I've been living without it for this long, I can live without it longer. Thanks for the great work!
Old May 3, 2013, 09:33 PM   #7
crhendo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
HandBrake just posted a 0.9.9 Preview Release in anticipation of a 0.9.9 Public Release soon.

http://handbrake.fr/?article=16

Anyone wanting to check it out, we could use some bug testing and feedback. The page links to a feedback page etc.
I'm really looking forward to the Intel Quick Sync release on Handbrake. I think that will be a game changer for Handbrake users on a budget.
crhendo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 10:04 AM   #8
northernmunky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhendo View Post
I'm really looking forward to the Intel Quick Sync release on Handbrake. I think that will be a game changer for Handbrake users on a budget.
Unfortunatly I'm not seeing much progress on QuickSync support on OSX, Apple is using it for Quicktime X and FaceTime but apparently no support for any other 3rd party apps.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6864/h...cksync-support
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 02:38 PM   #9
sr55
macrumors newbie

It's very much up to Apple and Intel to play nice before QuickSync can come to 3rd party apps on OS X. For now it'll be Windows only, with the desire to expand it to linux in the near future. OS X is very much up in the air at this point.

Secondly, if folks want emails and alerts, why not just use growl / prowl?
sr55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 03:50 PM   #10
potatis
macrumors 6502

Funny, using atv1 preset & same settings, files become larger than before. Will stick to 0.9.8 for time being.
potatis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 11:56 AM   #11
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatis View Post
Funny, using atv1 preset & same settings, files become larger than before. Will stick to 0.9.8 for time being.
Presuming you are using the atv 1 preset in 0.9.9 on the exact same source file and everything else equal, it would probably be due to HB using x264 profiles, tunes etc. instead of our older advanced panel settings.

I might suggest going back to 0.9.8, remember to use Presets > Update built in presets to reset back to 0.9.8. Then set up your atv 1 preset. then save it as a custom preset.

now you can go back to 0.9.9 and you have the "old" atv 1 preset still saved in your custom presets (which are not changed when updating).

If I may ask, how much of a file size increase did you notice ?
Old May 9, 2013, 03:59 PM   #12
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Hmmm, after some testing on my own ... it appears it's the loss of badapt=2:me=umh .....

I am looking into this ....

probably gonna be a change before public release in the presets.

Appreciate the info.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:00 PM   #13
potatis
macrumors 6502

Didn't think of updating the preset, thanks. Maybe I should've updated for 0.9.9 when installing it? File size got noticeable larger, maybe around 1GB... For my resulting files, which are around 2-3GB, that's a 30-50%...
Old May 15, 2013, 04:12 PM   #14
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Didn't think of updating the preset, thanks. Maybe I should've updated for 0.9.9 when installing it?
going up to 0.9.9 should have triggered an automatic built in preset update. You would have gotten a window as such.
Quote:
File size got noticeable larger, maybe around 1GB... For my resulting files, which are around 2-3GB, that's a 30-50%...
Maybe if you want try adding

Code:
badapt=2:me=umh
to the additional string panel in the video tab on 0.9.9 it should drop your file size.
Old May 18, 2013, 02:38 PM   #15
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

New site and HandBrake 0.9.9 Public release today!

http://handbrake.fr
Old May 18, 2013, 06:01 PM   #16
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Thank you for all the work on handbrake !!!
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 08:27 PM   #17
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
New site and HandBrake 0.9.9 Public release today!

http://handbrake.fr
Thanks for all the hard work! I have the public preview right now, can I update to the public release from the preview, or do I need to delete the preview and install the official release?
Old May 18, 2013, 09:40 PM   #18
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
Thanks for all the hard work! I have the public preview right now, can I update to the public release from the preview, or do I need to delete the preview and install the official release?
just update from the preview.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:20 PM   #19
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
just update from the preview.
Alright thanks.
Old May 27, 2013, 03:36 AM   #20
potatis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
going up to 0.9.9 should have triggered an automatic built in preset update. You would have gotten a window as such.

Maybe if you want try adding

Code:
badapt=2:me=umh
to the additional string panel in the video tab on 0.9.9 it should drop your file size.
I added that string, but it seems like the file still got larger than on 0.9.8
Old May 28, 2013, 05:17 PM   #21
aj350z
macrumors member

Quote:
Presuming you are using the atv 1 preset in 0.9.9 on the exact same source file and everything else equal, it would probably be due to HB using x264 profiles, tunes etc. instead of our older advanced panel settings.

I might suggest going back to 0.9.8, remember to use Presets > Update built in presets to reset back to 0.9.8. Then set up your atv 1 preset. then save it as a custom preset.

now you can go back to 0.9.9 and you have the "old" atv 1 preset still saved in your custom presets (which are not changed when updating).

If I may ask, how much of a file size increase did you notice ?
I have redownloaded the 0.9.8 but in Mac OSX it can no longer stay open, it keeps wanting to force quit. I am trying to encode a MKV from a Blu-Ray disc using the "AppleTV 3" profile and having the same problem about file size. In 0.9.8 my average file size was 3-4.5 GB and now with 0.9.9 my file sizes are between 7.5-10 GB. Is there another way I can get the old profile of "AppleTV 3" from 0.9.8? Thanks for any help from anyone.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:57 AM   #22
blueroom
macrumors 603

Is Quick Sync part of Handbrake yet? Specifically the OSX version.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater