Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
HandBrake just posted a 0.9.9 Preview Release in anticipation of a 0.9.9 Public Release soon.

http://handbrake.fr/?article=16

Anyone wanting to check it out, we could use some bug testing and feedback. The page links to a feedback page etc.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Cool! I'm glad you added notification center support on OSX. Hiss worked fine but native support is much better. And I know this is a little off topic and most likely in the wrong place, but can you consider adding a feature that sends an email to notify when an encode is done? Thanks again dynaflash! :)

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
I know this is a little off topic and most likely in the wrong place, but can you consider adding a feature that sends an email to notify when an encode is done?
maybe. though doubtful. I will put it in the request chain.

That said I can tell you it would not make 0.9.9. This is an RC so as such its just to test bugs. There would be no new features added as HB is on a feature freeze.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
maybe. though doubtful. I will put it in the request chain.

That said I can tell you it would not make 0.9.9. This is an RC so as such its just to test bugs. There would be no new features added as HB is on a feature freeze.

Would tying into the Messenger app be workable to send an iMessage instead?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Would tying into the Messenger app be workable to send an iMessage instead?

Possibly but here again, hb is in a feature freeze. no new features until 0.9.9 Public is released. But will take a look at it after. If so it would show up in the normal nightlies.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Possibly but here again, hb is in a feature freeze. no new features until 0.9.9 Public is released. But will take a look at it after. If so it would show up in the normal nightlies.

Yeah, of course. I've been living without it for this long, I can live without it longer. Thanks for the great work!

crhendo

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
HandBrake just posted a 0.9.9 Preview Release in anticipation of a 0.9.9 Public Release soon.

http://handbrake.fr/?article=16

Anyone wanting to check it out, we could use some bug testing and feedback. The page links to a feedback page etc.

I'm really looking forward to the Intel Quick Sync release on Handbrake. I think that will be a game changer for Handbrake users on a budget. :D

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei

sr55

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
It's very much up to Apple and Intel to play nice before QuickSync can come to 3rd party apps on OS X. For now it'll be Windows only, with the desire to expand it to linux in the near future. OS X is very much up in the air at this point.

Secondly, if folks want emails and alerts, why not just use growl / prowl?

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Funny, using atv1 preset & same settings, files become larger than before. Will stick to 0.9.8 for time being.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Funny, using atv1 preset & same settings, files become larger than before. Will stick to 0.9.8 for time being.

Presuming you are using the atv 1 preset in 0.9.9 on the exact same source file and everything else equal, it would probably be due to HB using x264 profiles, tunes etc. instead of our older advanced panel settings.

I might suggest going back to 0.9.8, remember to use Presets > Update built in presets to reset back to 0.9.8. Then set up your atv 1 preset. then save it as a custom preset.

now you can go back to 0.9.9 and you have the "old" atv 1 preset still saved in your custom presets (which are not changed when updating).

If I may ask, how much of a file size increase did you notice ?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003

Hmmm, after some testing on my own ... it appears it's the loss of badapt=2:me=umh .....

I am looking into this ....

probably gonna be a change before public release in the presets.

Appreciate the info.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Didn't think of updating the preset, thanks. Maybe I should've updated for 0.9.9 when installing it? File size got noticeable larger, maybe around 1GB... For my resulting files, which are around 2-3GB, that's a 30-50%...

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Didn't think of updating the preset, thanks. Maybe I should've updated for 0.9.9 when installing it?
going up to 0.9.9 should have triggered an automatic built in preset update. You would have gotten a window as such.
File size got noticeable larger, maybe around 1GB... For my resulting files, which are around 2-3GB, that's a 30-50%...
Maybe if you want try adding

Code:
badapt=2:me=umh

to the additional string panel in the video tab on 0.9.9 it should drop your file size.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks for all the hard work! I have the public preview right now, can I update to the public release from the preview, or do I need to delete the preview and install the official release?

just update from the preview.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
going up to 0.9.9 should have triggered an automatic built in preset update. You would have gotten a window as such.

Maybe if you want try adding

Code:
badapt=2:me=umh

to the additional string panel in the video tab on 0.9.9 it should drop your file size.

I added that string, but it seems like the file still got larger than on 0.9.8

aj350z

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Presuming you are using the atv 1 preset in 0.9.9 on the exact same source file and everything else equal, it would probably be due to HB using x264 profiles, tunes etc. instead of our older advanced panel settings.

I might suggest going back to 0.9.8, remember to use Presets > Update built in presets to reset back to 0.9.8. Then set up your atv 1 preset. then save it as a custom preset.

now you can go back to 0.9.9 and you have the "old" atv 1 preset still saved in your custom presets (which are not changed when updating).

If I may ask, how much of a file size increase did you notice ?

I have redownloaded the 0.9.8 but in Mac OSX it can no longer stay open, it keeps wanting to force quit. I am trying to encode a MKV from a Blu-Ray disc using the "AppleTV 3" profile and having the same problem about file size. In 0.9.8 my average file size was 3-4.5 GB and now with 0.9.9 my file sizes are between 7.5-10 GB. Is there another way I can get the old profile of "AppleTV 3" from 0.9.8? Thanks for any help from anyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.