Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Some background: I currently own an iPad 2 and an iPhone 5. Some weeks ago, I got a keyboard case for my iPad, essentially retiring my MacBook Pro for a majority of my needs. However, now the iPad has become even less portable than before (not saying it wasn't portable, just wasn't a device I'd want to leave the hosue with too often). So the past couple weeks I have been looking at the iPad Mini very closely. As nice as it looks and feels, I just can't get over the fact that it seems it would be to similar to what I already have (in terms of OS and everything around it).

This prompted me to look at the competition. I read about every single Android tablet of similar size. From the looks of it, it looks like the Nexus 7 would be my best choice. Now here is the thing I am a bit unsure about. I have never owned an Android device and I only ever had a chance to use my friends for a couple minutes.

So what do you guys think, would it be a good idea to add a Nexus 7 to my "family"? Part of me really wants to try something new, I'm just not sure how well it would work to use a Nexus together with my iPad on a daily basis.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I gave the N7 a pretty fair try out....lets see if I can find my review...I found it wasn't for me in the end though:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1523961/

Pretty good info there. I have no real gripe with Android, but the N7's screen and lower res capability were major things I didn't like.

If you are already familiar with Android then I guess you know that you need to have certain apps installed in order for things to work properly...no big deal and they are free, but after using it for a good 3 weeks, I just couldn't get the screen to suit me.

Having said that, I wouldn't want the iPad mini either....I use an Ipad4. Best advice in these situations is to get hands on with one and see how you go. Hope the info in the link helps a bit.:)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
With Google IO just a few weeks away, I'd wait before adding any Nexus tablets to the family! :D

There are rumours of a newer model coming this IO. Not too long until we find out.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Oh, had no idea. Will wait a while then, not in a hurry anyway. Hopefully until then I can find a store that sells them to try it out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.