Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Although I'm a died in the wool Apple user, I just bought a new Nexus 7. 32GB WiFi model. I bought it out of curiosity, and thought I'd see just what Android is all about. I'm finding my way around okay, but have a few noobi questions.

Do I need some form of Av and anti ,malware installed? I like the screen', and the feel of the little tablet a lot, but my biggest problem is the keyboard. Are there any BT keyboards that are compatible with my new device, and what cases do you Nexus users use?

Browsing is fast and smooth, and I've watched a couple of videos in YouTube. Using a decent set of headphones gives pretty good sound too. I see it as an entertainment device, so what apps do you recommend?

Its the first non Apple device I've owned for years, so all suggestions are welcome.

I'm using it now...Makes a super light change from my iPad or MBP or MBA.

Last edited:

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
You don't need any AV as long as you use common sense like you would if you were using a PC. Always read the reviews before installing an app, don't download .apks from sketchy file hosting sites (essentially, don't be a pirate), etc.

As for keyboard, I'd get something like this. Because the tablet has a microUSB port, you can use a microUSB to USB cable and connect just about any USB peripheral. I got that keyboard for my brother to use with his N7 and he loves it - the built in touchpad makes it great for travelling.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I don't use AV but you can install something like lookout (free) if you are worried.

Case wise, I use this. It has a magnet in the flap which poweres on/off the screen (just like a smart cover). Excuse the flap, I didn't realise it also flaps all the way round and the magnet sticks on the opposite side when opened! :)

dscf3773.jpg
dscf3777.jpg
dscf37yky.jpg

dscf37eme.jpg

For Keyboard and mouse I use the old ones from my Motorola Xoom.
Motorola-UK-XOOM-Keyboard-Mouse.jpg

Apps?
RSS Reader - Press
Music - Google Play Music (make sure you upload/match your iTunes Library to Google Music for maximum benefit.)
Downloading/Reading news articles - Pocket
Streaming video from your PC/Mac - Plex
Audioglow Music Visualiser (Works with Google Music app amongst others).
Chrome Beta is newer than the final build and I've found it works better than the stock Chrome build.
Netflix/Spotify if you subscribe.

Games:
Minecraft Pocket (Free Demo)
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
Asphalt 7
Grand Theft Auto 3

Should get you started! :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Great information, thanks...I'll look into that cover and I think I will install the AV freebi as well. I really didn't get the whole iPad mini thing ( I have an iPad 4) but using this for a while, I begin to see the attraction....this will be great little travel companion. I like the zoom functions which highlight things automatically, and the spelling assistant really helps too. So far I'm pleased with my new device....It won't take the place of my Apple devices, but its a nice addition. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Battery life seems very good too, I've been using it for am good few hours, played around in YouTube and the meter says 92% its a nice little device.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I debated between ChazUK's case and the one I ultimately purchased and both were nice, just wanted the extra tilt option on the Exotek

And for $11.98 it's nice.

http://www.amazon.com/EXOTEK-Slim-Fit-Multi-Angle-Automatic-Function/dp/B008MIQGTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357943099&sr=8-1&keywords=exotek+nexus+7

Apps I've found:
1) Fixed Clock (I didn't like the Bold/unbold look of the stock clock and this reverted the clock back to the old nicer looking font.)
2) Kindle
3) The Weather Channel - new update made it much nicer
4) PowerAmp is a nice music player (I got disgusted with the Google stock one, but that was early on - artwork problems)
5) Dice Player for videos, I've also used VPlayer and MXPlayer
6) Swiftkey 3 - replacement keypad on the device, it's nice
7) News360 - news feed/reader, I like it a lot
8) Google Field Trip - this is a neat little app to tell you about historical sites nearby (will use your location to feed you info)

Then of course you have your standards, Evernote, Tunein Radio, calculators, Around me, etc.

The more I use it the more I like it.
I put a screen protector on mine too, I heard (and believed) some horror stories but who really knows if it's necessary.

Enjoy.

Edit: I dont use the virus software either because I run the stock OS and only download apps from Google Play Store or Amazon's.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
You have an iMac keyboard and magic mouse? You are set.

Any bluetooth keyboard and mouse will work, but I recommend bluetooth 3.0 devices or higher. Older devices have confliction issues and disconnect, then reconnect. It is a PIA with older BT devices (or knock-off stuff from China).

Case wise, Amazon has the Moko case for around 20 bucks. I have been using mine for about 6 months now. I put it on par with the Apple smart cover I used with my iPad 2. Just a lot cheaper.

Link and pics: http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Slim-fit-Automatic-Protective-Multi-angle/dp/B00AHBKWIM/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357944716&sr=1-4&keywords=moko+slim+fit+cover+case+for+nexus+7

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
You have an iMac keyboard and magic mouse? You are set.

Any bluetooth keyboard and mouse will work, but I recommend bluetooth 3.0 devices or higher. Older devices have confliction issues and disconnect, then reconnect. It is a PIA with older BT devices (or knock-off stuff from China).

Case wise, Amazon has the Moko case for around 20 bucks. I have been using mine for about 6 months now. I put it on par with the Apple smart cover I used with my iPad 2. Just a lot cheaper.

Link and pics: http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Slim-fit-Automatic-Protective-Multi-angle/dp/B00AHBKWIM/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357944716&sr=1-4&keywords=moko+slim+fit+cover+case+for+nexus+7

Thanks! I actually have an Apple BT KB that kind of roams...I sometimes use it with my iPad, but if it would work with the N7 that's great. I have spare MM's too, but I don't really think I'll need a mouse, except maybe for games...NFS would be great...Might pick that up too. won't have a lot of time for a while, as my new Imac is delivering next Friday, and I need to migrate a lot of data via thunderbolt, and my R4. Then my 2011 Imac 27" needs erasing, Snow Leopard installed, and then sold. A lot going on right now..:)

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
Seriously, no anti-virus needed.

I don't actually know anyone who uses one, or has ever caught a virus on Android. If you do catch one, you can come back here and say 'I told you so' :p

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Seriously, no anti-virus needed.

I don't actually know anyone who uses one, or has ever caught a virus on Android. If you do catch one, you can come back here and say 'I told you so' :p

:D I doubt it would happen, but Lookout checks apps as they download,,,Not a bad thing to have...I would not pay for AV apps though, I run 3 Mac's and have never had any problem with them...The N7 is very fast when browsing....and movies BBC Iplayer for Android all seem to work great. The only other Android device I ever played with was a buddies Acer Iconia TAB A500....That was bigger obviously, but it lagged like hell and he sold it and bought my Ipad 3. This Google powered Nexus is way faster.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
One time, I was browsing a website on my Nexus, and somehow a random APK file started downloading without me touching anything. To prevent any unauthorized apps from being installed, simply make sure that the box to allow apps from unverified sources is unchecked in the security pane of settings. As long as you don't download any blatantly sketchy stuff from the Google play store, you should then be virus free.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I've just thought of another, the Amazon App Store.

You get a free app every day and they do give away the odd gem.

Just search for "amazon app store download" and it should take you to the download page.

Installing the amazon application store does require you to enable the installation of external apps however but I've come across no issues so far with having mine open like that.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks all...Yes, I went through the security settings regarding apps...That's what I was most concerned about...Lookout does it too. It's really strange downloading my favourite Ipad apps...Tunein Radio etc. and finding them there in Android form. It really is a fun little device, and having done some research there are a lot of connectivity options too, but I see it as a portable fun machine for when I don't want to cart a laptop or my ipad around....I can slip it in my pocket ( Nearly).

The screen's are a little confusing at first, but I'm enjoying it......I can see it getting a lot of use. One thing confuses me though.....I setup my email account ( or one of them) and all went fine. A buddy sent me a couple of photo's (Jpegs) for review, but the email client says I need an app to view them:confused: Odd.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Well, lookout is free so I installed it just in case being an Apple guy I never use AV but since I, new to Android it should keep me reassured :D

just get rid of it to be honest. I have never come across malware personally and I am a crack custom rom flasher and install many modified system apks as well.

Also enable developer options and turn on force 2d gpu rendering. Google hid the developer option in 4.2 for some reason so to unhide them go to about tablet and tap the build number like 10 to 15 times quickly and that will bring them back. Hiding them was a bad decision in my opinion or atleast at a minimum they should force enable gpu rendering since it makes a huge difference in smoothness in apps that don't have it on by default and I haven't found any that are negatively effected by it.

----------

Thanks all...Yes, I went through the security settings regarding apps...That's what I was most concerned about...Lookout does it too. It's really strange downloading my favourite Ipad apps...Tunein Radio etc. and finding them there in Android form. It really is a fun little device, and having done some research there are a lot of connectivity options too, but I see it as a portable fun machine for when I don't want to cart a laptop or my ipad around....I can slip it in my pocket ( Nearly).

The screen's are a little confusing at first, but I'm enjoying it......I can see it getting a lot of use. One thing confuses me though.....I setup my email account ( or one of them) and all went fine. A buddy sent me a couple of photo's (Jpegs) for review, but the email client says I need an app to view them:confused: Odd.

Download es file manager.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
just get rid of it to be honest. I have never come across malware personally and I am a crack custom rom flasher and install many modified system apks as well.

Also enable developer options and turn on force 2d gpu rendering. Google hid the developer option in 4.2 for some reason so to unhide them go to about tablet and tap the build number like 10 to 15 times quickly and that will bring them back. Hiding them was a bad decision in my opinion or atleast at a minimum they should force enable gpu rendering since it makes a huge difference in smoothness in apps that don't have it on by default and I haven't found any that are negatively effected by it.

That's my kind of tip!....All the under the hood stuff. I'll hang on to Lookout unless it visibly slows stuff down, then ditch it when I'm more familiar with the app stuff.:)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011

----------

Download es file manager.

es file manager it is then! thanks again..:)

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
es file manager it is then! thanks again..:)

I would like to suggest you look into FX File Manager and Solid Explorer. (If you ever end up rooting and rom'ing, do not use ES File Manager.) But by then, you will know what you need. For your purposes, any file manager will do. (However, if you want a dual pane with drag and drop capability, take a look at Solid Explorer.)

And you tap the build number in Settings 7 times to get into developer mode to enable or disable certain things like usb debugging or 2d renders.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I would like to suggest you look into FX File Manager and Solid Explorer. (If you ever end up rooting and rom'ing, do not use ES File Manager.) But by then, you will know what you need. For your purposes, any file manager will do. (However, if you want a dual pane with drag and drop capability, take a look at Solid Explorer.)

And you tap the build number in Settings 7 times to get into developer mode to enable or disable certain things like usb debugging or 2d renders.

Yep, that's on my list....I will keep your file management suggestions in mind, but I really can't see me needing anything to high end...I have my iPad for that...The Nexus is a fun machine...Music, videos, maybe a few little games etc. but like you say...the more I get to know it the more I may want!:)

XieoBebe

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
USA
I'm glad you are enjoying your N7. Like you, I am an Apple user but decided to try an Andriod and got the N7. I like it a lot and enjoyed using it for a couple of months until it started having serious wifi connection problems. Apparently this is a well-known issue with Google's support site and it's been going on for months. Sadly, Google has not shown support for its users like Apple has. And unlike an Apple store, there's no Google store for me to ask for help other than to send it back to Asus. The process is painful, too. But people who hah gotten replacements still have the same problems. The crazy thing is that my N7 can connect only to an open unsecured wifi channel so it must mean firmware issues. That is very unaccptable. I hope that yours will not have this issue and if you should have it, that it will happen inside your return window.
Router: Asus RT-n66u. Security: WPS2-AES

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.