Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 6, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

EA Says The Sims 4 Will Be Coming to the Mac in 2014

EA has announced in a blog post that its Maxis studio will release The Sims 4 for the Mac and PC in 2014.

The company released no other details about the game, but said more information would be forthcoming.
Quote:
Today we are revealing to our top fans the fact that The Sims(TM) 4 is coming to PC and Mac in 2014.

The Sims franchise is fueled by the passion and creativity of its millions of fans around the world. Their continued devotion to the franchise ignites the fire of creativity of the team at The Sims Studio, driving them to continually improve and innovate on one of the world's most successful simulation game that has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide.
On another note, the new Sim City will arrive on the Mac June 11th.

Article Link: EA Says The Sims 4 Will Be Coming to the Mac in 2014
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:59 AM   #2
lilianeloirinha
macrumors newbie

They can keep their DRM-ridden game to themselves.

Besides, to own the entire series (expansions, "stuff packs", and whatnot) one must spend hundreds of pounds (dollars, whatever you use).

One must be insane to keep investing in EA Games after what they demonstrated with SimCity, they just do not care about the gamer, they care about their money.

Yes, EA is a business and they need money, but they could at least be fair and decent. Their games are not worth it anymore. They are the only company that thinks it's normal to ship broken products by design. If you buy a carton of milk and it turns out that it was sour, the vendor won't say "no refunds" to you, yet EA ships broken games and doesn't do refunds as fair as their TOS goes. What aggravates it more is how they are selling something intangible, they could create a free demo with no financial loss to them and let users try it before they buy, unlike the milk, which you couldn't try without opening the package first. Goes to show that this company should stop being trusted.

Last edited by lilianeloirinha; May 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added bit at the end.
lilianeloirinha is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:01 AM   #3
uttamo
macrumors member

Let's hope it's not as terribly executed as the new SimCity.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Probably this game will be crippled by yet another always-on DRM. Brace yourself for another launch disaster.

Last edited by Simplicated; May 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Simplicated is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:08 AM   #5
MsQueen
macrumors member

Pfft

No one wants your Stay-Online-To-Play crap, EA.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilianeloirinha View Post
They can keep their DRM-ridden game to themselves.

Besides, to own the entire series (expansions, "stuff packs", and whatnot) one must spend hundreds of pounds (dollars, whatever you use).

One must be insane to keep investing in EA Games after what they demonstrated with SimCity, they just do not care about the gamer, they care about their money.

Yes, EA is a business and they need money, but they could at least be fair and decent. Their games are not worth it anymore. They are the only company that thinks it's normal to ship broken products by design. If you buy a carton of milk and it turns out that it was sour, the vendor won't say "no refunds" to you, yet EA ships broken games and doesn't do refunds as fair as their TOS goes. What aggravates it more is how they are selling something intangible, they could create a free demo with no financial loss to them and let users try it before they buy, unlike the milk, which you couldn't try without opening the package first. Goes to show that this company should stop being trusted.
The Sims and Simcity were pretty cool when I had Windows 95 and games were limited to what your computer could run (and store on your cramped hard drive). That ship has sailed for me a long time ago.
Parasprite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:14 AM   #7
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

Coming out with PC version! - DELAYED
Coming Spring 2013! - DELAYED
Coming late 2013! - DELAYED
Coming in 2014! - NEW
yusukeaoki is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:18 AM   #8
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
"A spokesman from EA told Macrumors that the game will be released in 2014 and be playable in 2015."
Old May 6, 2013, 11:18 AM   #9
madsci954
macrumors 68000

I have a few choice words about EA. But seeing as if I say them here I will get the ban-hammer, I'll keep it to myself.
madsci954 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

EA is horrible, I mean... they're a company that's actually making games for the Mac.

We shouldn't support this sort of thing at all.

Let's prove that the normal PC, and maybe Linux, is where gaming truly belongs... by being whiners.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Tetra84
macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ
Tetra84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #12
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

This would be a great chance to bring the "freedom" model to the PC market!

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Codyak
macrumors 6502

Fool me once...
Codyak is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

I know a few people that the main reason they wouldn't get a mac is because they cant run the sims properly without bootcamp and stuff, so this is good news.

Im sure it will be an orgy of EA hate in here but more games are always good thing.
Kissaragi is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

What sealed this for me was the atrocious AI that's in this game. It's one thing to reverse some "political" DRM decision in the future, but I've seen few, if any, games from EA that have reworked such core concepts. This is one game where I'll look in the history books to make my decision.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:43 AM   #16
Some guy
macrumors member

EA tried to prevent piracy, and by doing so created a much bigger problem.

Their customers no longer trust them.
Some guy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:45 AM   #17
baller1308
macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it won't be released at the same time on both platforms. So I'm guessing late 2014 release for Mac.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:48 AM   #18
Pinkie Pie
macrumors regular

Unless this game is incredible, The Sims 3 will be my last stop. It's been a great 13 years but I'm ready to get off the Sims upgrade treadmill. x_x
Old May 6, 2013, 11:51 AM   #19
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
EA is horrible, I mean... they're a company that's actually making games for the Mac.

Let's prove that the normal PC, and maybe Linux, is where gaming truly belongs... by being whiners.
No, EA treats all customers on all platforms equally poorly. Check PC gaming forums and you'll see the same (completely justified) whining.

I'm just surprised that I'm not alone anymore. I've been complaining about EA since 2004 and officially started boycotting their products in 2007 when I realized it wasn't just a few bad games or a few bad managers, but that the entire company is dedicated to making money by selling BS it calls "games".
ArtOfWarfare is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:52 AM   #20
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post

Your argument is so flawed. People are whining NOT because they're porting the games to the Mac. People are whining because EA is the worst company on Earth because all they care about is money.

Just wait and see the 247,311,249 expansion packs and item sets, and 318,022,112,381 DLC items that they'll release after Sims 4's release.
Simplicated is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:56 AM   #21
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttamo View Post
Let's hope it's not as terribly executed as the new SimCity.
The Sims dev team is different than SimCity's. That said, they are both controlled by EA...
Cougarcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:08 PM   #22
mrxak
macrumors 65816

I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be so hilarious watching EA screw up another popular franchise, I really can't wait.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:10 PM   #23
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
No, EA treats all customers on all platforms equally poorly. Check PC gaming forums and you'll see the same (completely justified) whining.

I'm just surprised that I'm not alone anymore. I've been complaining about EA since 2004 and officially started boycotting their products in 2007 when I realized it wasn't just a few bad games or a few bad managers, but that the entire company is dedicated to making money by selling BS it calls "games".
And yet tons of people enjoy those games.

A lot of EA games are fun.

And no, not all whining on the internet is justified. A lot of EA hate isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Your argument is so flawed. People are whining NOT because they're porting the games to the Mac. People are whining because EA is the worst company on Earth because all they care about is money.

Just wait and see the 247,311,249 expansion packs and item sets, and 318,022,112,381 DLC items that they'll release after Sims 4's release.
Wait.

A company cares just about money? I mean, it's like you're telling me that the main purpose of a company is to make money or something.

Nah, that can't be true. It's just EA.

Old May 6, 2013, 12:13 PM   #24
Risco
macrumors 65816

No thanks, if it is anything like Sims 3 then it will ramp up my fan constantly to 100% and superheat my MBP...
Old May 6, 2013, 12:16 PM   #25
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
No thanks, if it is anything like Sims 3 then it will ramp up my fan constantly to 100% and superheat my MBP...
This is what we call a 'valid complaint'.

I hope that it doesn't turn out to be that way. Maybe they'll have learned their lesson. We can only wait until the first reviews show up (after release) and hope for the best.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion