Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
EA Says The Sims 4 Will Be Coming to the Mac in 2014




EA has announced in a blog post that its Maxis studio will release The Sims 4 for the Mac and PC in 2014.

The company released no other details about the game, but said more information would be forthcoming.
Quote:
Today we are revealing to our top fans the fact that The Sims(TM) 4 is coming to PC and Mac in 2014.

The Sims franchise is fueled by the passion and creativity of its millions of fans around the world. Their continued devotion to the franchise ignites the fire of creativity of the team at The Sims Studio, driving them to continually improve and innovate on one of the world's most successful simulation game that has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide.
On another note, the new Sim City will arrive on the Mac June 11th.

Article Link: EA Says The Sims 4 Will Be Coming to the Mac in 2014
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:59 AM   #2
lilianeloirinha
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
They can keep their DRM-ridden game to themselves.

Besides, to own the entire series (expansions, "stuff packs", and whatnot) one must spend hundreds of pounds (dollars, whatever you use).

One must be insane to keep investing in EA Games after what they demonstrated with SimCity, they just do not care about the gamer, they care about their money.

Yes, EA is a business and they need money, but they could at least be fair and decent. Their games are not worth it anymore. They are the only company that thinks it's normal to ship broken products by design. If you buy a carton of milk and it turns out that it was sour, the vendor won't say "no refunds" to you, yet EA ships broken games and doesn't do refunds as fair as their TOS goes. What aggravates it more is how they are selling something intangible, they could create a free demo with no financial loss to them and let users try it before they buy, unlike the milk, which you couldn't try without opening the package first. Goes to show that this company should stop being trusted.

Last edited by lilianeloirinha; May 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added bit at the end.
lilianeloirinha is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:01 AM   #3
uttamo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Let's hope it's not as terribly executed as the new SimCity.
__________________
I enjoy sports
uttamo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Simplicated
macrumors 65816
 
Simplicated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Probably this game will be crippled by yet another always-on DRM. Brace yourself for another launch disaster.

Last edited by Simplicated; May 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Simplicated is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:08 AM   #5
MsQueen
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Pfft

No one wants your Stay-Online-To-Play crap, EA.
__________________
15" MBP, late '11 iPod Touch, 5th gen Retina iPad
MsQueen is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Parasprite
macrumors 65816
 
Parasprite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilianeloirinha View Post
They can keep their DRM-ridden game to themselves.

Besides, to own the entire series (expansions, "stuff packs", and whatnot) one must spend hundreds of pounds (dollars, whatever you use).

One must be insane to keep investing in EA Games after what they demonstrated with SimCity, they just do not care about the gamer, they care about their money.

Yes, EA is a business and they need money, but they could at least be fair and decent. Their games are not worth it anymore. They are the only company that thinks it's normal to ship broken products by design. If you buy a carton of milk and it turns out that it was sour, the vendor won't say "no refunds" to you, yet EA ships broken games and doesn't do refunds as fair as their TOS goes. What aggravates it more is how they are selling something intangible, they could create a free demo with no financial loss to them and let users try it before they buy, unlike the milk, which you couldn't try without opening the package first. Goes to show that this company should stop being trusted.
The Sims and Simcity were pretty cool when I had Windows 95 and games were limited to what your computer could run (and store on your cramped hard drive). That ship has sailed for me a long time ago.
Parasprite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:14 AM   #7
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030
 
yusukeaoki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Coming out with PC version! - DELAYED
Coming Spring 2013! - DELAYED
Coming late 2013! - DELAYED
Coming in 2014! - NEW
__________________
17" MacBook Pro (Early 2011), 2.2GHz i7-2720QM, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD+1TB HDD@5400rpm
11" MacBook Air (Mid 2013), 1.7GHz i7-4650U, 8GB RAM, 512GB Flash
Sony Xperia Z1 (Purple) 32GB
yusukeaoki is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:18 AM   #8
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
"A spokesman from EA told Macrumors that the game will be released in 2014 and be playable in 2015."
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
T'hain Esh Kelch is online now   24 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:18 AM   #9
madsci954
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
I have a few choice words about EA. But seeing as if I say them here I will get the ban-hammer, I'll keep it to myself.
madsci954 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040
 
Michael Goff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
EA is horrible, I mean... they're a company that's actually making games for the Mac.

We shouldn't support this sort of thing at all.

Let's prove that the normal PC, and maybe Linux, is where gaming truly belongs... by being whiners.
__________________
13" Macbook Air (2012) Ultimate
OS X 10.10 DP6
Michael Goff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Tetra84
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ
Tetra84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #12
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816
 
TouchMint.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix
This would be a great chance to bring the "freedom" model to the PC market!
__________________
TouchMint.com iOS App Site
Adventure To Fate iOS RPG Game Site
Indie iOS Game: Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core JRPG

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Codyak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fool me once...
Codyak is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I know a few people that the main reason they wouldn't get a mac is because they cant run the sims properly without bootcamp and stuff, so this is good news.

Im sure it will be an orgy of EA hate in here but more games are always good thing.
Kissaragi is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
What sealed this for me was the atrocious AI that's in this game. It's one thing to reverse some "political" DRM decision in the future, but I've seen few, if any, games from EA that have reworked such core concepts. This is one game where I'll look in the history books to make my decision.
__________________
iPhone 5 rMBP 15" (2012)
Northgrove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:43 AM   #16
Some guy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
EA tried to prevent piracy, and by doing so created a much bigger problem.

Their customers no longer trust them.
Some guy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:45 AM   #17
baller1308
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I'm sure it won't be released at the same time on both platforms. So I'm guessing late 2014 release for Mac.
__________________
I <3 Apple
baller1308 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:48 AM   #18
Pinkie Pie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Unless this game is incredible, The Sims 3 will be my last stop. It's been a great 13 years but I'm ready to get off the Sims upgrade treadmill. x_x
__________________
late 2013 13" rMBP (2.6/8/512) | early 2008 MacBook, white
iPad 2 | iPhone 4S | iPod Video, 2006 | Apple TV 3
Pinkie Pie is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:51 AM   #19
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
EA is horrible, I mean... they're a company that's actually making games for the Mac.

We shouldn't support this sort of thing at all.

Let's prove that the normal PC, and maybe Linux, is where gaming truly belongs... by being whiners.
No, EA treats all customers on all platforms equally poorly. Check PC gaming forums and you'll see the same (completely justified) whining.

I'm just surprised that I'm not alone anymore. I've been complaining about EA since 2004 and officially started boycotting their products in 2007 when I realized it wasn't just a few bad games or a few bad managers, but that the entire company is dedicated to making money by selling BS it calls "games".
ArtOfWarfare is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:52 AM   #20
Simplicated
macrumors 65816
 
Simplicated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
EA is horrible, I mean... they're a company that's actually making games for the Mac.

We shouldn't support this sort of thing at all.

Let's prove that the normal PC, and maybe Linux, is where gaming truly belongs... by being whiners.
Your argument is so flawed. People are whining NOT because they're porting the games to the Mac. People are whining because EA is the worst company on Earth because all they care about is money.

Just wait and see the 247,311,249 expansion packs and item sets, and 318,022,112,381 DLC items that they'll release after Sims 4's release.
Simplicated is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:56 AM   #21
Cougarcat
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by uttamo View Post
Let's hope it's not as terribly executed as the new SimCity.
The Sims dev team is different than SimCity's. That said, they are both controlled by EA...
Cougarcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:08 PM   #22
mrxak
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be so hilarious watching EA screw up another popular franchise, I really can't wait.
__________________
Phones Will Kill You
mrxak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:10 PM   #23
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040
 
Michael Goff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
No, EA treats all customers on all platforms equally poorly. Check PC gaming forums and you'll see the same (completely justified) whining.

I'm just surprised that I'm not alone anymore. I've been complaining about EA since 2004 and officially started boycotting their products in 2007 when I realized it wasn't just a few bad games or a few bad managers, but that the entire company is dedicated to making money by selling BS it calls "games".
And yet tons of people enjoy those games.

A lot of EA games are fun.

And no, not all whining on the internet is justified. A lot of EA hate isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Your argument is so flawed. People are whining NOT because they're porting the games to the Mac. People are whining because EA is the worst company on Earth because all they care about is money.

Just wait and see the 247,311,249 expansion packs and item sets, and 318,022,112,381 DLC items that they'll release after Sims 4's release.
Wait.

A company cares just about money? I mean, it's like you're telling me that the main purpose of a company is to make money or something.

Nah, that can't be true. It's just EA.

__________________
13" Macbook Air (2012) Ultimate
OS X 10.10 DP6
Michael Goff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:13 PM   #24
Risco
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United Kingdom
No thanks, if it is anything like Sims 3 then it will ramp up my fan constantly to 100% and superheat my MBP...
__________________
15" Macbook Pro 2012, 2.3ghz, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD | iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey
Risco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:16 PM   #25
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040
 
Michael Goff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
No thanks, if it is anything like Sims 3 then it will ramp up my fan constantly to 100% and superheat my MBP...
This is what we call a 'valid complaint'.

I hope that it doesn't turn out to be that way. Maybe they'll have learned their lesson. We can only wait until the first reviews show up (after release) and hope for the best.
__________________
13" Macbook Air (2012) Ultimate
OS X 10.10 DP6
Michael Goff is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New iPhone Coming Out in August 2014: Rumour polee iPhone 7 May 10, 2014 03:42 PM
best new FF Mirrorless camera now or coming in 2014 patent10021 Digital Photography 2 Feb 5, 2014 12:05 PM
Elder Scrolls Online Coming to Mac in April of 2014 MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 34 Feb 4, 2014 05:03 PM
what are the chances of the haswell 2014 mac mini coming out in February? MacHaris Mac mini 13 Jan 26, 2014 04:30 AM
2014 D700 Mac Pro or 2014 Maxwell iMac? MegaCell Mac Pro 4 Jan 4, 2014 11:01 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC