Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 7, 2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502

iPad mini replacement - MacBook Air 11" in public transport - do you recommend?

Hi

I drive daily two hours with public transport. I use an iPad mini for browsing the web (mainly news).

I don't like devices like iOS (and alternatives) because of no freedom (DRM,...) for user. I think to replace iPad mini with a MacBook Air 11" (and LTE stick).

Does anybody use a MacBook Air in train? Is that comfortable compared to iPad mini? What do you think about it? What's your daily experience compared to iPad?
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 12:34 PM   #2
tonyshaker
macrumors member

I Do

I use my 13 inch everyday on the train and its great. no problems but don't use it on the underground no point and a lot of thief's on there this is in the UK by the way.
tonyshaker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Outrigger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyshaker View Post
I use my 13 inch everyday
Must resist.....
Outrigger is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

If seats are wide enough for a laptop go4rit, u giving up about 3-5 hours batt life.

Public transport I assume with large windows, bright environment, I'd want to know how the Air screen perform in such condition vs and iPad.
Old May 7, 2013, 03:11 PM   #5
errol
macrumors 6502

If you can sit down, then go for it. Where I take the subway, finding a seat can be difficult.
errol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:25 PM   #6
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

As is true in New York City, smash and grab thieves in my city (Washington DC) love iPhones, iPods, and iPads. Extremely high rate of thefts on public transit.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
As is true in New York City, smash and grab thieves in my city (Washington DC) love iPhones, iPods, and iPads. Extremely high rate of thefts on public transit.

Don't sit near a door where the thief can run out quick, and if you do, as the train approaches a station, stop whatever you are doing, and hold your item in such as way that it will be hard to yank it from you, go back as you were AFTER the door closes.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:25 PM   #8
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quotenfrau View Post
Hi

I drive daily two hours with public transport. I use an iPad mini for browsing the web (mainly news).

I don't like devices like iOS (and alternatives) because of no freedom (DRM,...) for user. I think to replace iPad mini with a MacBook Air 11" (and LTE stick).

Does anybody use a MacBook Air in train? Is that comfortable compared to iPad mini? What do you think about it? What's your daily experience compared to iPad?
If I were you, I'd keep your iPad. The 11-inch Air is a fantastic device, but the iPad wins for the usage scenario you are describing. You would actually be making things harder for yourself.

Now if this were a more general use question, then that would be different.
PDFierro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
If I were you, I'd keep your iPad. The 11-inch Air is a fantastic device, but the iPad wins for the usage scenario you are describing. You would actually be making things harder for yourself.

Yea if it was the library or cafeteria I would say go for the air
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Redbull916
macrumors member

I'm a IT Consultant working for a large software company and spend my life traveling.
I have a iPad mini & a 13" Air. The Reason I have both is they are built for different purposes. The Air is my workhorse, and is used daly for all sorts of reasons. The iPad on the other hand is mainly used for web, and media. The only cross over functionality is email.

If I'm on a Train or Plane and want to send an email, read or watch a film the iPad comes out of the Thule case, but it the email is large or I need to work then I use the Air.
Would not use any of them on the tube - Thats what the iPhone is for ;-)

The question is what is the best device for the purpose you require, both work fine when your out and about.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:09 AM   #11
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Please explain exactly what freedom you are missing. What would you do with an iPad if you had whatever freedom you are missing that you are not doing now?
gnasher729 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Please explain exactly what freedom you are missing. What would you do with an iPad if you had whatever freedom you are missing that you are not doing now?
I am a MacPorts and UNIX user. I use serval open source packages daily.

----------

Quote:

thank you. For me also an ideologic issue. I don't wish to support devices like iPad with my money. I prefer and OS with full control.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
I am heavily armed.
Quotenfrau is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Does the train have a tray table setup that you can put the Air on? If not, the iPad makes much more sense.

I would think it would be tough to use a MBA that is on your lap sitting on a train.

Quote:
thank you. For me also an ideologic issue. I don't wish to support devices like iPad with my money. I prefer and OS with full control.[COLOR="#808080"]
Each device has its own uses. And it depends on if the device does what you want it to. For me.... iPad mini: web surfing, watching videos, listening to music, reading books, checking email, etc. Of course I still need a Mac for stuff the iPad can't do, but on the other hand, a Mac can't be used everywhere you can use an iPad and is not as good for reading books.

Last edited by Bear; May 8, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:02 AM   #14
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Quote:

----------

thank you. For me also an ideologic issue. I don't wish to support devices like iPad with my money. I prefer and OS with full control.

----------

I am heavily armed.
Woah. Sounds like this is a much bigger issue than simply asking whether it'd be good to use a Mac on a train.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Woah. Sounds like this is a much bigger issue than simply asking whether it'd be good to use a Mac on a train.

Apparently he REALLY hates IOS. An emotional issue I think nobody here can fix.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:52 PM   #16
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
Must resist.....
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 03:58 PM   #17
macmedal
macrumors regular

I had the 11" Air it lasted 6 months before I replaced it with a 13" Air. The screen was just too small for me as a laptop. I use the 13" daily on the train and its great, but as soon as I get on the tube/underground/bus I switch to an iPhone as there is little room to move and security is more of a concern. I have an iPad but rarely use it now as I prefer the Air, and I wouldn't use it other than on a train. But I could see the benefit of the iPad mini and that would potentially be a better option than the iPhone in certain circumstances, but I still would not replace the Air for the train, office and around the house.
macmedal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 01:01 AM   #18
Nickpocalypse
macrumors member

Quote:

----------

----------

I am heavily armed.
Welcome to America, where a kid attempting to grab a phone worth a few hundred dollars will almost certainly result in loss of life.
Who's? Anyone's guess, we'll just trust your undoubtedly extensive firearms training!!!
Nickpocalypse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 07:24 AM   #19
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickpocalypse View Post
Welcome to America, where a kid attempting to grab a phone worth a few hundred dollars will almost certainly result in loss of life.
Who's? Anyone's guess, we'll just trust your undoubtedly extensive firearms training!!!
maybe we could keep politics off the macrumors forum?
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:38 AM   #20
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502

Thanks for feedback. I bought a Nexus 7 tablet and uninstalled Google spyware and crapware, installed CyanogenMod and use only applications from F-Droid Open Source Store.
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air