Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8, 2013, 07:41 PM   #1
mackcat
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Question Buy MacBook Air now or wait until June for refresh?

Hi,

I just got a Chromebook the other day, and while I like it, it doesn't do enough for me. So, I'm going to return it. I need a laptop for this next month, but I don't want to buy the current one if the new one will be dramatically different or leave it in the dust specs-wise. If I wait for the new one, I'll be stuck with a giant clunky old 17" PC for the next month.

What do you think is the lesser of the two evils???

Thank you!
Ben
mackcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2
B...
macrumors 68000
 
B...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Probably waiting to get the new one, since the new Air will have Haswell (better battery life), maybe bigger flash storage, retina (exceedingly unlikely but possible). Using an outdated computer for one month and then having a brand new computer for one year is better than having a new computer for one month then having an good but older computer for years to come.
B... is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3
.Asa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
I'd wait.
__________________
.Asa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 08:08 PM   #4
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
what do you think Mackcat from the 2 months in the future would say?
DisplacedMic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcat View Post
dramatically different or leave it in the dust specs-wise.
U sound like u been around the block a couple of times to know there is no such thing as dramatic leave in the dust.

However, unless you are desperate the marching order for May 2013 is, WAIT.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 09:02 PM   #6
mackcat
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Ok, thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to wait on this one. Also, do you think there will be a release delay, or will it be available as soon as it's announced at WWDC?

Thanks!
Ben
mackcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Raima
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Asa View Post
I'd wait.
Me too. I'm hoping for better battery life. That's definitely worth waiting for.
__________________
G5 PowerMac, MBA11, MBA13, rMBP15, 2 x iMac27
Raima is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:48 AM   #8
Fattytail
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcat View Post
Ok, thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to wait on this one. Also, do you think there will be a release delay, or will it be available as soon as it's announced at WWDC?

Thanks!
Ben
I doubt it'll be available as soon as it's announced. I'd guess maybe a July release.

As to OP's original question, totally would wait. You'll only have to wait 2-3 months max for what could be significant upgrades.
Fattytail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 11:23 AM   #9
mackcat
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattytail View Post
I doubt it'll be available as soon as it's announced. I'd guess maybe a July release.

As to OP's original question, totally would wait. You'll only have to wait 2-3 months max for what could be significant upgrades.
Interesting. Just wondering, what makes you think that? I know last year it was available that day. What about years before, does anyone know?
mackcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:37 PM   #10
jdechko
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Usually computers are available the day they are announced. However, this isn't a hard, fast rule. Last year, the new iMac was announced but it was not available for several weeks and it was months before it was not in short supply.

As far as timing goes, the most common advice here on MacRumors is to buy it now if you need it now. Otherwise, wait.

It sounds like you can afford to wait a little while, so you'll probably be best served by waiting.
jdechko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:58 PM   #11
mackcat
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Thank you!
mackcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:13 AM   #12
Serban
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
If they make an agreement with intel to have the chip much earlier than 4th June when intel announce haswell than it is possible on Apple event 10 june to have the macbook lineup fresh with haswell and available "today". If they don't make some agreement with intel then available July
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 09:02 AM   #13
B.A.T
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
I'd wait
B.A.T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:48 AM   #14
errol
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I'm waiting.
errol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 12:44 PM   #15
calvol
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Wait or you'll be sorreeeeee!
calvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Nioxic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denmark
ill be waiting. I'm considering getting a new macbook. just not 100% if it should be air or pro.

depends

But i see no point in NOT waiting
__________________
iPad 4th gen, with 4G.
Nioxic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 04:36 PM   #17
racer1441
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcat View Post
Interesting. Just wondering, what makes you think that? I know last year it was available that day. What about years before, does anyone know?
My understanding is haswell is a bit flakey yet.
racer1441 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 04:16 AM   #18
Serban
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
A new macbook line up with 10h batteries usage, just only for that and it will be fantastic
Serban is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:04 AM   #19
merkinmuffley
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
The new one will not be dramatically different, if you need one now buy it now.
merkinmuffley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 07:39 PM   #20
mackcat
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serban View Post
A new macbook line up with 10h batteries usage, just only for that and it will be fantastic
It might have 10 hours of battery life? That would be amazing and well worth waiting for!
mackcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 08:41 PM   #21
B...
macrumors 68000
 
B...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcat View Post
It might have 10 hours of battery life? That would be amazing and well worth waiting for!
Right, but don't expect significant performance increases AND a 43% increase in battery life. You will invariably be disappointed.
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 09:30 PM   #22
mackcat
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I personally care far more about battery life. Performance would be good though.
mackcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 05:31 AM   #23
MacLappy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcat View Post
Hi,

I just got a Chromebook the other day, and while I like it, it doesn't do enough for me. So, I'm going to return it. I need a laptop for this next month, but I don't want to buy the current one if the new one will be dramatically different or leave it in the dust specs-wise. If I wait for the new one, I'll be stuck with a giant clunky old 17" PC for the next month.

What do you think is the lesser of the two evils???

Thank you!
Ben
Waiting makes a lot of sense at this moment the 2012 Macbook Air is almost a year old, should not be long to the 2013 Air launch.
MacLappy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 07:30 AM   #24
marvz
macrumors 6502a
 
marvz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLappy View Post
Waiting makes a lot of sense at this moment the 2012 Macbook Air is almost a year old, should not be long to the 2013 Air launch.
Right, probably 4 weeks.
marvz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 10:17 AM   #25
ka-spot
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Wink

i'm waiting for mine retina/air 13",

but you can buy now two and sell them in june
__________________
ka-spot is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install SSD OR Buy Macbook Air OR Wait? nazedayo Buying Tips and Advice 36 Dec 10, 2013 01:49 AM
Buy now at good price or wait for new MacBook Air syrcular MacBook Air 15 Jul 23, 2013 03:16 PM
Should I wait for the MacBook Air early 2013, or buy one now. FatGuy007 MacBook Air 55 Dec 14, 2012 02:13 PM
Should I buy the 2012 MacBook Air 11" or wait for 2013? AdrainSingapore MacBook Air 27 Nov 4, 2012 02:30 AM
Wait for the new macbook or buy a macbook air hunsor MacBook Air 3 Jul 30, 2012 08:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC