Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 8, 2013, 07:28 PM   #1
jthesssin
macrumors newbie

Unique issue with AppleTV and Mac Mini

Hello all! I have what I think is a very unique issue. Let me start by laying out the system:
AppleTV 3rd generation via HDMI to a Pioneer VSX1120 receiver.
Mid 2010 Mac Mini via HDMI to the receiver (its my HTPC for surfing the net and working).
The receiver is outputting to a 55" Samsung LED via HDMI
iTunes media/library is stored on a 2TB time machine

After I turn on the AppleTV I normally select my iTunes (by selecting computers) library in order to watch one of my handbrake ripped DVD's. any time I pause, or otherwise change my viewing (switching to my purchased movies, or Netflix) the Mac Mini will start playing music via the inboard speaker. I then need to switch inputs and stop the music by pausing it.

If I use the ATV to watch Netflix or stream my purchased movies from the iTunes Store I do not have this problem, only when streaming from my iTunes library.

Anyone with ideas on how to stop this would be a life saver. Is there a way to simply play a movie directly from the time machine even if iTunes is not running (this means my home sharing is turned off)?
Thanks!!!
jthesssin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 10:28 PM   #2
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthesssin View Post
s there a way to simply play a movie directly from the time machine even if iTunes is not running (this means my home sharing is turned off)?
No.

Sounds like you need to put some black electrical tape over the IR sensor on your Mac Mini. I'm guessing it's responding to the remote when you're changing movies on the ATV.

Ed: I'm sure there's a software solution that doesn't involve tape but you get the idea
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 11:40 PM   #3
jdblas69
macrumors regular

Yes your Apple TV remote is causing your Mac mini to respond and do funny things when your itunes is open on your mini. You can disable the IR on the mini in system preferences, under security select advanced options and make sure disable IR is checked off.
jdblas69 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:18 AM   #4
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Or you can pair the remote to the Apple TV in settings>general>remotes>pair remote. This should fix it.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:02 PM   #5
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
Or you can pair the remote to the Apple TV in settings>general>remotes>pair remote. This should fix it.
no it wouldn't, pairing the remote only causes the receiver to listen to a specific remote. the mini would still respond.

each apple remote contains an ID code (0 to 255), when you hit a button it sends the button and the ID code so "play-234"
pairing tells the receiver to listen only to a specific ID, and ignore the rest.
an un-paired reciever will listen to all codes.

you would have to pair the mini with a different remote for it to ignore the aTV remote. or as jdblas69 turn off the receiver.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 03:15 PM   #6
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
no it wouldn't, pairing the remote only causes the receiver to listen to a specific remote. the mini would still respond.

each apple remote contains an ID code (0 to 255), when you hit a button it sends the button and the ID code so "play-234"
pairing tells the receiver to listen only to a specific ID, and ignore the rest.

you would have to pair the mini with a different remote for it to ignore the aTV remote. or as jdblas69 turn off the receiver.
Oh my bad. I have one of each of my remotes paired with my Mac mini and Apple TV so I just figured that's how it worked. Guess I learned something today.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 07:00 PM   #7
CaptTCS
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post

Yea.. Just pair one remote with ATV and the other with Mini.

Or... Do what I do and use a remote with the ATV and a Wireless Touchpad with the Mini. The Touchpad makes a great remote for the Mini.
CaptTCS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 06:10 PM   #8
jthesssin
macrumors newbie

It worked.....

Thanks for the suggestion on the iR disable... never even knew my mini had an IR receiver. Sorry about not responding. I assumed I would get an email if someone posted a reply to my original post so I wasn't looking :-)

Again, Thanks everyone!
jthesssin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 05:47 AM   #9
opinio
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthesssin View Post
Hello all! I have what I think is a very unique issue. Let me start by laying out the system:
AppleTV 3rd generation via HDMI to a Pioneer VSX1120 receiver.
Mid 2010 Mac Mini via HDMI to the receiver (its my HTPC for surfing the net and working).
The receiver is outputting to a 55" Samsung LED via HDMI
iTunes media/library is stored on a 2TB time machine

After I turn on the AppleTV I normally select my iTunes (by selecting computers) library in order to watch one of my handbrake ripped DVD's. any time I pause, or otherwise change my viewing (switching to my purchased movies, or Netflix) the Mac Mini will start playing music via the inboard speaker. I then need to switch inputs and stop the music by pausing it.

If I use the ATV to watch Netflix or stream my purchased movies from the iTunes Store I do not have this problem, only when streaming from my iTunes library.

Anyone with ideas on how to stop this would be a life saver. Is there a way to simply play a movie directly from the time machine even if iTunes is not running (this means my home sharing is turned off)?
Thanks!!!
Haha, I had the exact same problem.

Just go (in OSX) to System Preferences>Security and Privacy

Then click on the padlock to unlock it and add password.

Then tick 'Advance' and the bottom right and click 'Disable remote control infrared receiver'.

The guys at Apple though long and hard about that option when they put it under 'Security and Privacy'.

Edit: sorry I just realised you have two remotes. My suggestion works to stop the remote working on the mini. Having said that, you can pair or unpair in that setting anyway so that might help. Check it out anyway.
opinio is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater