Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 12, 2013, 07:55 AM   #1
andyjcheal
macrumors newbie

Is 11" big enough?

Hi all, I'm about to replace my old MBP and as I travel a lot and fancy a treat, I'm planning on a MBA as the replacement.

My question is whether the 11" MBA is big enough for someone who does fair amount of word processing, film watching and web surfing. The benefits being that it's more compact (obviously) and I can load it up with more of the extras.

If the opinion is that I should definitely get the 13", I'll do so, but it may be the basic MBA.

Thanks for any advice!
andyjcheal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Is 11" big enough?!
For what!!

Oh, wait...

Never mind...
Old May 12, 2013, 08:13 AM   #3
B...
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjcheal View Post
Hi all, I'm about to replace my old MBP and as I travel a lot and fancy a treat, I'm planning on a MBA as the replacement.

My question is whether the 11" MBA is big enough for someone who does fair amount of word processing, film watching and web surfing. The benefits being that it's more compact (obviously) and I can load it up with more of the extras.

If the opinion is that I should definitely get the 13", I'll do so, but it may be the basic MBA.

Thanks for any advice!
I would say no. Word processing will be cramped and same with movie watching. If you get the 128 GB version, as I strongly suggest you should, the 13" is only $100 more but has an SD card, better battery life, better screen, and you only lose around 1/2 pound of portability. Well worth it, in my opinion.

@Shrink, really?
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by B... View Post
@Shrink, really?
I know...disgusting...mind in the gutter...
Old May 12, 2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:

Thanks for any advice!
Sounds like an iPad is good enough for what you want.

I can only say for my usage, programming/graphics work is a PITA on a 13" MBA. So my next Mac will definitely will be 15" retina.
Old May 12, 2013, 08:48 AM   #6
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by B... View Post
I would say no. Word processing will be cramped and same with movie watching. If you get the 128 GB version, as I strongly suggest you should, the 13" is only $100 more but has an SD card, better battery life, better screen, and you only lose around 1/2 pound of portability. Well worth it, in my opinion.
I second that. While you can live off external HDs or USB drives, 64GB is really not much space - and once you add that, there's only little price difference to the 13", which offers so much more. Unless one absolutely needs (or fancies) the smaller frame of the 11", I believe the 13" is the sensible way to go.

The 13" screen isn't better only due to being bigger - colors are noticeably better, too.
AppliedMicro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 09:57 AM   #7
KimHansenDK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
Sounds like an iPad is good enough for what you want.

I can only say for my usage, programming/graphics work is a PITA on a 13" MBA. So my next Mac will definitely will be 15" retina.
Programming/graphics work will be just a much a PITA on a 15". Most people doing this kind of work will be hooking it up to an external display anyway...
KimHansenDK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 10:40 AM   #8
XoFu
macrumors member

I would go with 13"

If you keep typing for a while in the 11" it will feel cramped. Mostly if you are tall (or have big hands). I know the keyboard is the same. I'm 6'1" and it feels (felt, sent it back to get a 13") a bit uncomfortable for me.

Last edited by XoFu; May 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
XoFu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Serban
macrumors 68030

take it with 128 sad. is like you have an ipad with a operation system.
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 03:25 PM   #10
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

id say yes, but up the memory and storage. just grab an external monitor for home use when you fancy a bigger screen. ive got a 13 and an 11, 11" screen doesnt look small at all, but the reduced footprint helps it fit in practically any bag
LeeM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 03:48 PM   #11
needfx
macrumors 68020

I find the mba11 AWESOME for on the go stuff

I've done so much on this machine, my desktop is getting sassy with me

consider the screen size, but whatever you decide, go for at least 128gb ssd
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 05:35 AM   #12
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimHansenDK View Post
Programming/graphics work will be just a much a PITA on a 15". Most people doing this kind of work will be hooking it up to an external display anyway...
Sure. When at home I use my ACD. But on the road or sitting on the couch, it is incredibly cumbersome to do anything. Having a bigger retina display would help substantially.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Sech
macrumors member

I've done this dance three times now. I find that the 13 is the all around better machine. The screen size and battery life are well worth the trade off.
Sech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 09:24 AM   #14
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

No, it is not big enough for your stated purposes, in my opinion. That is why I replaced my 11" with a 13".
Old May 13, 2013, 09:34 AM   #15
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Thanks for any advice!
lots of great advice in here from other people so all i have to add is that you definitely want to go to the fruitstand and play with them before you decide. i was all set to get the 13 before trying them out and after that my decision moved to a choice between the 11" (ultraportable) and a 15" (power computer)...
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 12:42 PM   #16
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

if youre gonna go 13", go pro and get a more powerful computer imo. the 13" air is no more portable than the pro, its the 11 for portability!
Old May 13, 2013, 01:02 PM   #17
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

I've got an MBA 11" which I bought for school and coupled it with an iPad mini - the two together are the bee's knees, I couldn't be happier. I'm hugely into portability, so if this is you, the 11" is a great machine - if you aren't so much into portability then perhaps the smaller screen will bother you, but only you can answer that.

For me the point of having a (portable) machine is always having it with you - if you hesitate for even one moment because you don't want to "haul" that device along, then what good is having a portable device? That's how I look at it. Others don't mind carrying heavier/bigger around so they can enjoy the larger screen and/or better resolution - that's their preference, and I don't fault them for that at all, I simply prefer to have these devices take up as little space as possible, and the smaller and lighter they keep making them, the more I'll keep buying and using (and that's the crux of it) them.

It's a great machine.

Last edited by WilliamLondon; May 13, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
WilliamLondon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 01:10 PM   #18
KimHansenDK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
if youre gonna go 13", go pro and get a more powerful computer imo. the 13" air is no more portable than the pro, its the 11 for portability!
Are we talking about the 13" Retina or regular? The 13" Air is much more portable than the regular 13" Pro. Also the Air is (almost) as fast as the Pro - and lets not forget that the Air has SSD as standard and a better resolution than the regular 13" Pro.

You are not going to notice the difference in power if you choose the 13" Pro over the Air. You can upgrade the regular Pro with 16GB ram but most people will not be using more than 4/8GB...
KimHansenDK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 02:39 PM   #19
errol
macrumors 6502

I'll be getting the 11" and plugging it into an external for home use. For couch (toilet) use the 11" should be fine as well.
errol is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 03:35 PM   #20
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

I have an 11" and use it for everything you stated. Perfect size. Previously had a 13" and decided to get an 11" and try it out. Battery life is a little less than the 13", but overall it is more comfortable to use. I'm on it 10+ hours a day for school and browsing.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:12 PM   #21
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
For what!!

Oh, wait...

Never mind...
Well I just lost weight I just LMAO

----------

Serious now, if you like the screen on your iPad, you will like the 11"
Old May 13, 2013, 07:53 PM   #22
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlrollin91 View Post
I have an 11" and use it for everything you stated. Perfect size. Previously had a 13" and decided to get an 11" and try it out. Battery life is a little less than the 13", but overall it is more comfortable to use. I'm on it 10+ hours a day for school and browsing.
agreed.

the 13" MBA is a fine computer and I doubt many people who buy it regret it, but to me, as someone who has been using a 13" MBP for several years, it was just an amazingly light and stylish laptop...not an ultraportable. the 11" blew me away in that regard which made the choice easier.

the 13" MBA is only about half a pound lighter than the 13" rMBP and actually has a larger footprint.

I think the 13" MBA is a great deal - probably one of the best deals in their entire lineup but to me it's not really any more portable than the MBP - especially one with a SSD.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 07:56 PM   #23
Irishman
macrumors 68000

That's what she....oh, wait.

Nevermind.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:29 PM   #24
mikeray
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mikeray
The 11" is amazing and zippy for every task. Fullscreen mode is your friend.

The only thing I don't like about the 11" is the short battery life compared to the rest of the Macbook lineup.
mikeray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 03:50 PM   #25
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimHansenDK View Post
The 13" Air is much more portable than the regular 13" Pro.
apart from being a bit lighter its no more portable at all, it fits nowhere the pro won't. and lets face it neither are particularly heavy.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
agreed.
I think the 13" MBA is a great deal - probably one of the best deals in their entire lineup but to me it's not really any more portable than the MBP - especially one with a SSD.
put an ssd and optibay hdd in a pro, and its more portable than the air because you dont need to carry external storage

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air