Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 14, 2013, 10:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Seeks to Add Samsung Galaxy S4 to U.S. Patent Lawsuit

Just weeks after the launch of Samsung's latest Galaxy S4 flagship smartphone, FOSS Patents reports that Apple is seeking to add the device to a patent lawsuit already underway against Samsung in the United States.

Judge Lucy Koh has already ordered Apple and Samsung to narrow their case, which is expected to go to trial in March 2014. Each side will ultimately be required to limit their cases to ten targeted devices, although the current stage is seeing the companies pare their lists to 22 devices each.
Quote:
The filings reveal a major new disagreement: Apple has analyzed the Galaxy S4, Samsung's new top-selling product, and "has concluded that it is an infringing device and accordingly intends to move for leave to add the Galaxy S4 as an infringing product". Apple's current list of 22 accused products does not include the S4, but a footnote contains the statement from which I just quoted. Apple says it will drop another product from its list of 22 accused products once it has permission to add the S4 to this litigation.
The two sides are also continuing to disagree over what constitutes a single product, with Samsung arguing that each carrier version of its devices should count as a separate product, seeking to shift the balance by taking advantage of its significantly larger number of devices compared to Apple's lineup.

Apple's list of 22 products currently covers a number of Samsung's smartphone and tablet devices, while Samsung's own list includes virtually every device and service offered by Apple, including all iPad and Mac models, all iPhone models dating back to the iPhone 3G, the last three iPod touch generations, 1st and 3rd generation Apple TV models, and even iTunes and iCloud. While the battle between Apple and Samsung has focused mainly on mobile devices until now, Samsung's counterclaims have sought to bring Apple's Mac lineup and services into the dispute by asserting infringement of a patent related to multimedia synchronization across devices.

Article Link: Apple Seeks to Add Samsung Galaxy S4 to U.S. Patent Lawsuit
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:09 AM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Of course they do. I'm sure lawyers on both sides will be plea$ed.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:09 AM   #3
JonyHolt
macrumors newbie

Seriously...? Every product apple makes?
JonyHolt is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Lacos
macrumors member

They should concentrate on making beautiful devices..
Seems Samsung S4 is a heavy rival for Apple.. Good for us, well i am swithing this week to a S4 - iOS and the small screens got boring..
Lacos is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:10 AM   #5
hexonxonx
Banned

And to think we are funding this nonsense with every Apple purchase.
hexonxonx is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:12 AM   #6
needfx
macrumors 68030

They should future-proof their lawsuits more efficiently. Adding the device after it's circulated seems redundant
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Ambush083
macrumors regular

Well if they would spend more time making better products and less time busting Samsung's balls they might be a bit more productive.

I know, Apple does things incrementally. They're so darn behind though. It's really pathetic. I hope they do a major overhaul on iOS7 instead of a stupid flat design. I'm not really that excited for something so small and mediocre.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:13 AM   #8
donjao
macrumors member

The moment my wife reads news like this

donjao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:14 AM   #9
wenghan1992
macrumors newbie

Here we go again ...
wenghan1992 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:14 AM   #10
nazaar
macrumors 6502

okay... is this thing stuck on repeat?
nazaar is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:15 AM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Yawn. MR needs a back page where they can post all this patent BS.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:17 AM   #12
MegamanX
Banned

Color me surprised. Apple the worlds biggest cry baby does it again.

To me this just tells me Apple is running scared.
MegamanX is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:17 AM   #13
lotzosushi
macrumors 6502

Okay... the lawsuits were fun to follow the the first time around but now it's just annoying and ridiculous. It's never going to end as long as both companies keep releasing phones. In a month Samsung will add the iPhone 5S/6 and iPad mini 2 retina and in another few months Apple will add the Galaxy S IV Mini Mini version II and Galaxy Note V Gargantuan.

Less suing more innovating please. Both of you.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:17 AM   #14
needfx
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegamanX View Post
Color me surprised. Apple the worlds biggest cry baby does it again.

To me this just tells me Apple is running scared.
what color is surprised?
needfx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:17 AM   #15
thedeejay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
what color is surprised?
The colour of the galaxy s4

Side note: What happened to the 1bn that was awarded and all that jazz?
thedeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:18 AM   #16
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

seriously, so annoying. didn't cook even say he never supported the idea of taking samsung to court? why won't they just stop it? the judges should fine both of them 1bn and donate it to children in africa
inselstudent is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:20 AM   #17
goobot
macrumors 601

Really Samsung? Because a phone being on a different carrier makes it a different phone?
goobot is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:22 AM   #18
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

This is one of the problems with owning a Samsung Galaxy S4.

The second Apple wins the lawsuit, they will issue self-destruct orders to all Samsung Galaxy S4 phones. You'll be in the middle of a phone call on your S4, oblivious to the court hearings, and *poof* your phone will be gone, up in smoke.

True story, bro.
bbeagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:22 AM   #19
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

This is getting boring...
Old May 14, 2013, 10:26 AM   #20
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

As much as I want to give the next iPhone a chance again, it's tactics like this that keep me looking elsewhere for my mobile needs. Shame on you Apple. Innovate, don't litigate!
Old May 14, 2013, 10:31 AM   #21
Internaut
macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mind but from a practical perspective, the Galaxy S and Iphone lines are as dissimilar as two dissimilar things in a pod.
Internaut is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:31 AM   #22
beosound3200
In Time-Out

i dont have any insider information, but if samsung really stole from apple, they deserve nothing less, but more.

i wonder what kind of spin would steve jobs put on this
beosound3200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:32 AM   #23
lcmazza
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to lcmazza
Quote:
Originally Posted by inselstudent View Post
seriously, so annoying. didn't cook even say he never supported the idea of taking samsung to court? why won't they just stop it? the judges should fine both of them 1bn and donate it to children in africa
Yes, because we can all see that donating to Africa IS proved to be working.
So that the children can grow up happy and have a ton more children in geometric progression, so Samsung and Apple can donate another 10 billion and so on...

That's brilliant.
lcmazza is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:33 AM   #24
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
This is one of the problems with owning a Samsung Galaxy S4.

The second Apple wins the lawsuit, they will issue self-destruct orders to all Samsung Galaxy S4 phones. You'll be in the middle of a phone call on your S4, oblivious to the court hearings, and *poof* your phone will be gone, up in smoke.

True story, bro.
Only possible with plastic
Old May 14, 2013, 10:34 AM   #25
sseaton1971
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush083 View Post
Well if they would spend more time making better products and less time busting Samsung's balls they might be a bit more productive.
Looking at your signature, you sure seem to like buying Apple's products!
sseaton1971 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion