Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 14, 2013, 02:22 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

ABC Begins Live Streaming Philly and NYC Stations via iOS App

American television network ABC has updated its iOS app with new live streaming television from local stations in Philadelphia and New York City. The change is an attempt to encourage viewers to keep their cable subscriptions as more and more users are ridding themselves of pay television and "cutting the cord", reports The New York Times.

Viewers will need to establish eligibility by verifying that they have an eligible pay-TV account with a local cable or satellite television company, and that they are within the local viewing area.

ABC may be expanding viewership on its iOS app, but it will be stepping back the availability of its shows through Hulu and ABC.com, limiting access to paying cable and satellite subscribers.

The Walt Disney Company, which owns ABC, says its live stream will be available in six cities where Disney owns the local affiliates later this summer, plus 13 more markets where Hearst Television owns the local stations including Boston and Pittsburgh.

The company is negotiating with the conglomerates that own the more than 200 ABC affiliates to livestream those channels as well.

The Watch ABC app is available free for iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: ABC Begins Live Streaming Philly and NYC Stations via iOS App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Zoboomafoo
macrumors regular

wait, does this mean i have to have cable to watch ABC on iOS?
Zoboomafoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 03:12 PM   #3
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoboomafoo View Post
That's what it sounds like. At least for this app.
Old May 14, 2013, 03:12 PM   #4
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Or New Yorkers can get Aereo.
spazzcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 03:14 PM   #5
jrawl004
macrumors newbie

Yes it does....
jrawl004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 03:20 PM   #6
hibby417
macrumors newbie

I'm in Philly, and it looks like ABC has disabled video Airplay streaming. Bummer.
hibby417 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 04:06 PM   #7
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby417 View Post
I'm in Philly, and it looks like ABC has disabled video Airplay streaming. Bummer.
Just curious as to why you would want to use AirPlay since you have to have a cable subscription to use the service?
Old May 14, 2013, 04:26 PM   #8
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

One day, just think, all you need to hook up a TV is the power cable. Type in your wi-fi password and you're done. The rest is just firing up an app for the content you want to watch. That's my hopeful dream, and this stuff gets in the way of it. ^_^
chirpie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 04:39 PM   #9
hibby417
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Just curious as to why you would want to use AirPlay since you have to have a cable subscription to use the service?
Right now the app is a free trial with no cable subscription required. I'm waiting for Aereo to come to Philly this summer.
hibby417 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 05:06 PM   #10
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Wow I'm extremely impressed with only 3 bars of 4G the picture is crystal clear.
osofast240sx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 06:01 PM   #11
rjlawrencejr
macrumors regular

I'm not impressed at all. How does this help stem the cutting the cable cord movement? If it is true ABC/Disney is planning on limiting shows on hulu and abc.com it only makes me angrier.
rjlawrencejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 07:04 PM   #12
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlawrencejr View Post
I'm not impressed at all. How does this help stem the cutting the cable cord movement? If it is true ABC/Disney is planning on limiting shows on hulu and abc.com it only makes me angrier.
But you don't need cable to get abc in HD.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:53 PM   #13
marksman
Banned

Come on belo!
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 03:00 AM   #14
SeaFox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoboomafoo View Post
Which makes little sense when you consider this is a broadcast TV network. If it was USA or TNT I might understand.
SeaFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 08:17 AM   #15
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

In Japan you can watch most major TV shows and news for free with one-seg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1seg) which is built-in on most japanese cell phones and smart phones.
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:11 AM   #16
bondjw07
macrumors member

Is anyone else confused about the roller coaster that appears to be built on the beach? How is that safe...
bondjw07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 10:18 AM   #17
dXTC
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondjw07 View Post
Is anyone else confused about the roller coaster that appears to be built on the beach? How is that safe...
It isn't safe. Take a look at some of the textual clues in that pic, and you'll discover that this news shot is from the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, which devastated coastal New Jersey last year. That roller coaster was on a pier over the ocean; the storm caused a large portion of the pier to collapse, and the coaster fell into the sea. It was perhaps the most iconic image of that weather event.

Here's another image of the coaster in the water, from a different angle. (The coaster will soon be dismantled and removed.)

Last edited by dXTC; May 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Corrected current status of coaster remnants
dXTC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 10:57 AM   #18
smitty303
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szw-mapple fan View Post
In Japan you can watch most major TV shows and news for free with one-seg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1seg) which is built-in on most japanese cell phones and smart phones.
I'm curious. I wonder if Apple would consider incorporating something like this into iPhones and iPads with DVR like capability. http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Mobile-.../dp/B00A0BXBTG

It might make the networks sweat some more... Thoughts?
smitty303 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 12:03 PM   #19
bondjw07
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dXTC View Post
It isn't safe. Take a look at some of the textual clues in that pic, and you'll discover that this news shot is from the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, which devastated coastal New Jersey last year. That roller coaster was on a pier over the ocean; the storm caused a large portion of the pier to collapse, and the coaster fell into the sea. It was perhaps the most iconic image of that weather event.

Here's another image of the coaster in the water, from a different angle. (The coaster will soon be dismantled and removed.)

WOW! I must have totally missed that part of the news, thanks for filling me in!
bondjw07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Swift
macrumors 65816

Next Step

Put decent programming on ABC stations.
Swift is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion