Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 15, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Unveils Google Play Game Services for Android, iOS and Web

At today's Google I/O keynote, Google unveiled Google Play Game Services, which is designed to compete with Apple's Game Center. Like Game Center, Game Services features real-time multiplayer capabilities, leaderboards, cloud saves, and achievements.

The service is not limited to Android developers as Google has developed it to link gaming across Android, iOS, and the web. Google will be providing the SDK for Game Services to both iOS and web developers in addition to Android developers. As noted by Engadget, Game Services more closely resembles the now-defunct OpenFeint social gaming platform than Game Center.
Quote:
Unlike Apple's Game Center application, what Google's offering is backend support for developers rather than a standalone application. Think of it more like OpenFeint than Game Center - you can sign in using your Google+ login in-game, and that login will track your identity (including leaderboard scores, achievements and saves) across various games and devices.
Several Android games have been updated with the new gaming service, including Osmos, Kingdom Rush, and Super Stickman Golf 2. The service and the SDK are launching today, with the following features:
Quote:
- Achievements that increase engagement and promote different styles of play.
- Social and public leaderboards that seamlessly use Google+ circles to track high scores across friends and across the world.
- Cloud saves that provide a simple and streamlined storage API to store game saves and settings. Now players never have to replay Level 1 again.
- Real-time multiplayer for easy addition of cooperative or competitive game play on Android devices.
Google's Game Services comes several years after the introduction of Apple's Game Center. Game Center was originally introduced in 2010 and underwent a major overhaul in late 2011.

Article Link: Google Unveils Google Play Game Services for Android, iOS and Web
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:05 PM   #2
samac92
macrumors 6502a

Shame the demo didn't work on stage.
samac92 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:06 PM   #3
jonAppleSeed
macrumors regular

Time to fire up the lawyers!
jonAppleSeed is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:07 PM   #4
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

I guess I am just not a gamer. I dislike this idea...just as I hate Game Center.
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Mr. RPG
macrumors 6502a

And no new Nexus 7 was seen..
Mr. RPG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Apple blogger
macrumors 6502

Lol we've had Game Center since like 3 years now and cloud save since last year ... Only move good is cross platform ..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonAppleSeed View Post
Time to fire up the lawyers!
With you
Apple blogger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:10 PM   #7
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

I guess what I read a few days ago really is right. Google is basically building its own platform atop the iOS platform. It's an ingenious strategy for them. I'll be curious to see how Apple responds, or if they even bother. It may not be a "threat" in the conventional sense since Google is slowly removing barriers for people between Android and Apple. Makes it easier to stay with Apple for some or move to Apple for some. Of course, the other way becomes easier, too.

And Google's strategy for competing with Facebook is becoming more clear, too. Using their already existing platform they can provide more interesting and timely connections with people that extend far beyond photo sharing and status updates.

It's all moot to me, though, since I don't need or desire those services. But I'm sure for many people it's a significant benefit.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:11 PM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

^ Agreed. Cross platform is great.
GoCubsGo is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:13 PM   #9
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Let the mindless Google hate begin...
Old May 15, 2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a

I can totally dig the cross platform aspect of Google. They just want their services on as many devices as possible. Nothing negative to say about that, if the services work better then I have no problem using them...

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:15 PM   #11
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

Green felt not included.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:18 PM   #12
parapup
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple blogger View Post
Lol we've had Game Center since like 3 years now
3 years of no one using it. Most run away after seeing the hideous, annoying, repeated sign in prompts from Game Center. Execution matters.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapup View Post
3 years of no one using it. Most run away after seeing the hideous, annoying, repeated sign in prompts from Game Center. Execution matters.
Am I one of the no one?
Simplicated is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #14
parapup
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Am I one of the no one?
Yes, you and Mr. Pedant over there
Old May 15, 2013, 01:27 PM   #15
mabaker
macrumors 65816

Again Google copying everything from others. Pathetic. But that is Google - spyware Xerox machine.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:28 PM   #16
JGIGS
macrumors 6502

[QUOTE=Apple blogger;17272065]Lol we've had Game Center since like 3 years now and cloud save since last year ... Only move good is cross platform ..[COLOR="#808080"]

Only good move? Maybe, but that's a huge move. With so many people who like to use or at least have the choice of using different platforms within there own eco system moving to cross I'm finding it more important.

I love how candy crush is linked and cloud saved with facebook and I can compare how I'm doing compared to my facebook friends since most of my friends are on fb.

This move could also help bring more people to Google +. I have a Google + account but never use it at this point. My circle of friends are FB people.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:28 PM   #17
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabaker View Post
Again Google copying everything from others. Pathetic. But that is Google - spyware Xerox machine.
But iOS's game center isn't cross platform, now is it?
samcraig is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:30 PM   #18
diogolg
macrumors member

Pretty much the same as Game Center, but being cross-platform is notable
diogolg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:31 PM   #19
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcs View Post
I guess what I read a few days ago really is right. Google is basically building its own platform atop the iOS platform. It's an ingenious strategy for them.
This was pretty much exactly what everyone thought Google was planning in 2008. It was Android that was the surprise.

You're right, I've been seeing more people write about it recently, but I'm a bit confused as to why 5-year old news is suddenly getting all of these articles. I guess it's because more apps are coming out now, but Google has always made a ton of money off of iOS. Even more than from Android by many people's guesstimates.

You're right that it's smart, but it's not news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabaker View Post
So I guess Apple copied Open Feint and X-Box Live, huh?

It's not like this is an incredibly obvious idea that every company is eventually going to make for themselves, right?
Small White Car is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:33 PM   #20
irnchriz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
But iOS's game center isn't cross platform, now is it?
Sure it is. iOS and OSX.
irnchriz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:33 PM   #21
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcs View Post
I guess what I read a few days ago really is right. Google is basically building its own platform atop the iOS platform. It's an ingenious strategy for them. I'll be curious to see how Apple responds, or if they even bother. It may not be a "threat" in the conventional sense since Google is slowly removing barriers for people between Android and Apple. Makes it easier to stay with Apple for some or move to Apple for some. Of course, the other way becomes easier, too.

And Google's strategy for competing with Facebook is becoming more clear, too. Using their already existing platform they can provide more interesting and timely connections with people that extend far beyond photo sharing and status updates.

It's all moot to me, though, since I don't need or desire those services. But I'm sure for many people it's a significant benefit.
Google makes more money off of iOS users...
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:34 PM   #22
Variant
macrumors regular

This is pretty cool.

Variant is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:35 PM   #23
ssspinball
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapup View Post
Agree that Execution does matter. I'll run away from this after the annoying, invasive Google+ prompts.
ssspinball is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:39 PM   #24
bushido
macrumors 603

their translation service seems pretty neat unlike apple who tells their devs to translate but gives them no tools to do so / help them
Old May 15, 2013, 01:40 PM   #25
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post
Sure it is. iOS and OSX.

you're kidding, right?
samcraig is online now   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion