Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old May 15, 2013, 03:09 PM   #1
incoherent1
macrumors member

Airport Extreme Guest Mode - Error

I'm creating a guest network on an airport extreme and getting the error "No Internet Connection". When I check the IP in SysPrefs, there's nothing there: no IP address, no router address, etc.

The extreme is in Bridge mode, and it's connected to a simple modem with only one Ethernet port (aka. it's not a modem/router combo).

The original (non-guest) network works fine.

Any help is hugely appreciated!
incoherent1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 04:11 AM   #2
opinio
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoherent1 View Post
I'm creating a guest network on an airport extreme and getting the error "No Internet Connection". When I check the IP in SysPrefs, there's nothing there: no IP address, no router address, etc.

The extreme is in Bridge mode, and it's connected to a simple modem with only one Ethernet port (aka. it's not a modem/router combo).

The original (non-guest) network works fine.

Any help is hugely appreciated!
I have my modem set to bridge and have the AE set to do everything. So the AE does the PPPOA connection to the ISP, and runs the DHCP Server and also runs the wifi. I have no problem setting guest in that config.

Also, you could try restarting but that is unlikely to fixit.

Or worst case, do a factory restore. I find that works well with my airport expresses sometimes because they can be temperamental.
opinio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 06:55 PM   #3
jay47
macrumors member

The reason your getting the error is because you have the AE in bridge mode . The only time you would use bridge mode is if you are using a combo modem/router or are using another device to handle dhcp & routing.

Airports are very picky about having the correct settings .

Change the internet setting to ethernet , ethernet wan port to automatic , connection sharing to share a public address.
jay47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 02:45 PM   #4
incoherent1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay47 View Post
The reason your getting the error is because you have the AE in bridge mode . The only time you would use bridge mode is if you are using a combo modem/router or are using another device to handle dhcp & routing.

Change the internet setting to ethernet , ethernet wan port to automatic , connection sharing to share a public address.
Thank you!
incoherent1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 09:06 PM   #5
asaini007
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay47 View Post

I'm a total novice at all things home networking. Basically I'm having the exact same problem as OP, but I have no idea how to access these settings in the AirPort Utility application for my AirPort Extreme. Do I use that application or something else? Thanks
asaini007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:36 AM   #6
priitv8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaini007 View Post
Do I use that application or something else? Thanks
You can't use anything else, really. And for novices, it has a wizard, that does a pretty good job on discovering the environment you've deployed your ABE in and setting up the device correctly.
E.g. it discovers ABE being behind a NAT router and sets ABE up properly in bridge mode.
priitv8 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Jefe's MacAir
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaini007 View Post
I'm a total novice at all things home networking. Basically I'm having the exact same problem as OP, but I have no idea how to access these settings in the AirPort Utility application for my AirPort Extreme. Do I use that application or something else? Thanks
Click Launch Pad

Click Airport Utility

Click on Base Station- This will open a floating window containing some information about the Base Station.

Click Edit

Click Network- Turn Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)

Click Update

If already in Off (Bridge Mode) turn it back on to DHP and NAT and click Update. You'll likely end up with a Double NAT warning. You can click ignore.

You can always go back. Although when you're on the Guest Network your Airport Utility won't see the Airport/Time Capsule. You'll need to be on the main/admin/original network.
Jefe's MacAir is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals