Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 16, 2013, 08:42 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Announces Winner of App Store's 50 Billionth Download Contest

Apple today announced the winner of its "50 Billion App Countdown" promotion that saw the company pass that milestone on Wednesday afternoon.

Word game Say the Same Thing from the band OK Go was the milestone download, with Brandon Ashmore from Mentor, Ohio making the winning download. Ashmore will will receive an iTunes Gift Card worth US$10,000. For the first time, Apple also gave the fifty downloaders after the big winner US$500 iTunes Gift Cards.
Quote:
"Apple would like to thank our incredible customers and developers for topping 50 billion apps downloaded," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "The App Store completely transformed how people use their mobile devices and created a thriving app ecosystem that has paid out over nine billion dollars to developers. We're absolutely floored to cross this milestone in less than five years."
Apple ran similar promotions for ten billion and twenty-five billion downloads, in January 2011 and March 2012 respectively.

The App Store took just under five years to hit the fifty billion download mark, though the rate of downloads has been accelerating and is now at more than 20 billion app downloads per year.

Article Link: Apple Announces Winner of App Store's 50 Billionth Download Contest
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:45 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

$10,000 worth of iTunes is a lot. It would be nice if some of that were actual cash. Nevertheless, it's a big prize just for downloading something.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:45 AM   #3
DanielDD
macrumors member

Monkeys and bananas. Who would have guessed
DanielDD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:47 AM   #4
wenghan1992
macrumors newbie

I was sleeping while the 50th billion app was downloaded.
wenghan1992 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:47 AM   #5
terrorbite
macrumors member

Do you think Apple pick the exact 50 billionth app as the winner, or they look a few downloads either side for one that is worthy of publicizing?
Old May 16, 2013, 08:48 AM   #6
zachkolk
macrumors member

How Close Did I Get?

What would make this fun is if you were, like me, trying to win by using multiple devices and downloading right about the time the final app was downloaded if Apple would tell you how close you got. I didn't win anything & probably never will, but it'd be cool to see if somehow I was only a handful of downloads off.
zachkolk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:53 AM   #7
powerslave12r
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorbite View Post
Do you think Apple pick the exact 50 billionth app as the winner, or they look a few downloads either side for one that is worthy of publicizing?
At the rate the apps are downloaded, and adding in server latencies around the world and rounding errors etc, I'm sure there are multiple 'winners' for a given second, or even a hundreth of a second. Perhaps a lottery from the 'simultaneous' downloaders (that's not publicized for obvious reasons).

Pure speculation.

It would be interesting to know how they count the exact winner.
powerslave12r is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:53 AM   #8
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorbite View Post
Nah they just look at all the downloads on the same second and just randomly choose one. Exactly what app is the winning download means nothing. It's the whole 50 billion promo that apple wants.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:59 AM   #9
JoeBlazeX
macrumors newbie

I was really hoping it would be something embarrassing like Grindr Xtra.
JoeBlazeX is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:00 AM   #10
demodave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple today announced the winner of its "50 Billion App Countdown" promotion that saw the company pass that milestone on Wednesday afternoon.

Word game Say the Same Thing from the band OK Go was the milestone download, with Brandon Ashmore from Mentor, Ohio making the winning download. Ashmore will will receive an iTunes Gift Card worth US$10,000. For the first time, Apple also gave the fifty downloaders after the big winner US$500 iTunes Gift Cards.Apple ran similar promotions for ten billion and twenty-five billion downloads, in January 2011 and March 2012 respectively.

The App Store took just under five years to hit the fifty billion download mark, though the rate of downloads has been accelerating and is now at more than 20 billion app downloads per year.

Article Link: Apple Announces Winner of App Store's 50 Billionth Download Contest
I see the "Same Thing" icon and instantly think "Samsung": does anybody else think they put their cheeky little monkeys up to buying endless copies of this game so that it could be the "winner" of this contest?
Old May 16, 2013, 09:02 AM   #11
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Congratulations to the winner!
DesertEagle is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:02 AM   #12
ajvizzgamer101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
$10,000 worth of iTunes is a lot. It would be nice if some of that were actual cash. Nevertheless, it's a big prize just for downloading something.
I'd uses it to migrate my iTunes purchases from my Gmail Email to my iCloud Email. But I would still have A LOT left over. I wonder if it could be used for iRadio subscription as well. (if apple does announce a subscription based music service)
ajvizzgamer101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:02 AM   #13
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Will he be allowed to sell it in $100 chunks on eBay? Who the heck would EVER spend that much for fart apps?

I think that cash would have been a better prize than a credit at the app store so big that it can never be used.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:06 AM   #14
Amadeus71
macrumors newbie

What were the odds of the winner coming from the US ?
Amadeus71 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:06 AM   #15
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Will he be allowed to sell it in $100 chunks on eBay? Who the heck would EVER spend that much for fart apps?

I think that cash would have been a better prize than a credit at the app store so big that it can never be used.
Setting your poor attempt at sarcasm aside, I'm sure you're more than aware there's a lot more than just "fart apps" on the App Store. There's a lot more quality on the App Store than the Play Store, that's for sure.
WeegieMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:11 AM   #16
1080p
macrumors 68000

Would have been funny if the 50 billionth app was a Google app... like Google Maps.

Salt in an open wound.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:12 AM   #17
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Quote:

The guidelines state that the winnings are not transferable, and fart apps are not the only applications sold in the app store.
I was never aware that large amounts of money can be so large that they cannot be used. Troll harder next time.
AQUADock is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:16 AM   #18
designaholic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Quite. Shame it can't be spent on Apple hardware, although I don't know why I even give a s***, I didn't win it
Old May 16, 2013, 09:17 AM   #19
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Such a mind boggling number.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:18 AM   #20
kilcher
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

The article states it's an iTunes gift card so the winner should be able to use it for apps, music, movies, books, etc.
kilcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:18 AM   #21
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

"OK go" to play at WWDC with the launch of iRadio.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:20 AM   #22
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Apparently haven't explored the app store very deeply, or you have limited interests.

It's a great prize.
Four oF NINE is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:23 AM   #23
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Would have been funny if the 50 billionth app was a Google app... like Google Maps.

Salt in an open wound.
I have a feeling that even if it had been, Apple would have chosen the next person!
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:23 AM   #24
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

The winner will probably just buy a bunch of gems for a game like Clash of Clans.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:25 AM   #25
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by demodave View Post
I see the "Same Thing" icon and instantly think "Samsung": does anybody else think they put their cheeky little monkeys up to buying endless copies of this game so that it could be the "winner" of this contest?
I don't know how it's linked to Samsung, not even remotely, but hey, thanks for the laugh.
Simplicated is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion