Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old May 16, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1
2Turbo
macrumors 6502

Sell Air now for iMac, or wait till haswell?

Should I sell my mid-2012 Air and get the current iMac? Or should I wait to sell until iMac haswell update?

I don't *need* the iMac right now, but will waiting till haswell devalue the Air much more?

For me, it seems to all come down to devaluation.

Thanks for any help!!!!
2Turbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Turbo View Post
Should I sell my mid-2012 Air and get the current iMac? Or should I wait to sell until iMac haswell update?

I don't *need* the iMac right now, but will waiting till haswell devalue the Air much more?

For me, it seems to all come down to devaluation.

Thanks for any help!!!!
I guess you could wait for Haswell, but you would already get a fairly impressive power upgrade by getting the current iMac when you compare them. With the iMac, you get a minimum 3.0GHz quad core; while the MBA you get a max of 2.0GHz dual core. I would go with the imac now.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:07 PM   #3
SilverOath
macrumors member

I would wait. Any system (even if not updated) will see a depreciation in its resale value as soon as Haswell comes along. The iMac which will have a higher base value will see a larger hit than a MBAir. I noticed that in my area the value of MBAirs only lost approximately 100 after the 2012 models came out. (~700-800 for 2011 MBA, and ~800-950 for a 2012 after they came out and have remained constant for the last year).

If you want to be really savvy you could try to time selling your MBAir the week before the their June Conference, and hope they release the models within a week of a conference like last year.

My only real big comment though would be that iMacs and MBAirs are entirely different machines and serve different niches, as well as have considerably different prices (which will have more of a impact on your budget).

Best wishes MAC huntings. :-)
SilverOath is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice