Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Well the "better" one is the one you like more. You might just end up finding out that even though you thought you might've liked one thing, it didn't feel right.

For the purpose of this thread, I like the Ford more.

But, the Impala should be larger and it gets better MPG.
Impala : 18/28 MPG
Fusion: 18/26 MPG

Does that make it better?

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Well the "better" one is the one you like more. You might just end up finding out that even though you thought you might've liked one thing, it didn't feel right.

For the purpose of this thread, I think I like the Ford more.

But, the Impala should be larger and it gets better MPG.
Impala : 18/28 MPG
Fusion: 18/26 MPG

Does that make it better?

Bigger is better as I am 6'3. I currently drive a two door cobalt and I don't want a 2 door anymore or such a small car.
Better mileage will be nice too.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Fusion I would say is the better car. The 2007 Impala while only 1 year after a redesign was still riding on a 20+ year old platform(W-Body). The 3.5 liter and 3.9 liter V6's were good engines though.

I would go with the Fusion simply due to being a more modern vehicle riding on a much more modern platform that could be safer in an accident.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Do you want a car that won't creak like a horse and buggy? Don't buy 'Merican. Buy yourself a nice Honda. Something practical that will last you. American cars have the most idiotic problems that owners of foreign cars will never see.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
American cars have the most idiotic problems that owners of foreign cars will never see.

There are a lot of American cars on the road though, which means they can't be worst than other brands on the road. Ultimately, the integrity of the car really depends on the owner.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Do you want a car that won't creak like a horse and buggy? Don't buy 'Merican. Buy yourself a nice Honda. Something practical that will last you. American cars have the most idiotic problems that owners of foreign cars will never see.

2007 Saturn Aura XR 32,000 miles, nothing creaks( my car).

2006 Chevy Equinox 119,000 miles, nothing creaks

2002 Chevy Suburban, 95,000 miles, nothing creaks.

All of my families experience with GM cars have been solid. Chrysler, not so much though. But, our experience with GM products have been solid. Matter of fact, my mom will be picking up a 2013 Chevy Equinox to replace the '06 next week.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
IMO, it's nearly impossible to discern which is a "better" car - it depends on your specific needs in a car, and the way you use them, among many other variables. Add in the fact that all makes and models of cars have their lemons, and it's pretty much a shot in the dark.

In my personal experience, I have seen far more issues and problems with GM cars than I have with Ford. I've owned a number of Ford vehicles, and as much as I love them, there have been a few problems as well. I've had experience with a Toyota or two, and (again), in my experience, their reputation for quality and reliability is far more than warranted. But I'm sure there are those who have had nothing but headaches with them.

All in all, look at reviews, compare features and price, and buy the winner. Only time will tell if it was the right decision.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
2007 Saturn Aura XR 32,000 miles, nothing creaks( my car).

2006 Chevy Equinox 119,000 miles, nothing creaks

2002 Chevy Suburban, 95,000 miles, nothing creaks.

All of my families experience with GM cars have been solid. Chrysler, not so much though. But, our experience with GM products have been solid. Matter of fact, my mom will be picking up a 2013 Chevy Equinox to replace the '06 next week.

Meh, I don't trust em. To me American cars are the Dells of the automobile world. You might get lucky, but in general they kinda suck and they don't retain their resale value. That's the worst part. My uncle buys only American cars because he needs them for his business, and he wishes he were able to buy a foreign alternative. He just bought a new GMC Yukon Denali, and the frickin sunroof leaks when it rains. He's also had problem with all sorts of cheap parts, breaking power window motors, etc. American cars just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

----------

There are a lot of American cars on the road though, which means they can't be worst than other brands on the road. Ultimately, the integrity of the car really depends on the owner.

I guess it depends on the area. In my area there are more foreign cars than anything.

----------

That is an absurd statement.

No it's not, you just happen to disagree with it.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

Fusion is made in Mexico. Honda for US sales is mostly US made.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I think the stereotypes about American cars posted previously are based on old history driving a poor perception of the make, not the current vehicles. Like any vehicle, if it's properly cared for an American-made car will last just as long as a Japanese car. For the record, many of the modern-day "Japanese" vehicles are actually built IN THE USA! I have a "Japanese" Subaru Outback, built in Indiana out of a significant portion USA-sourced parts, it my be more "American" than my Grand Prix was as that was built in Oshawa Canada.

My previous vehicle was a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix (same platform as the Impala the OP is looking at but it had the 3.8 not the 3.5 or 3.9), got rid of it at 75,000 miles because I was ready for a new vehicle. It needed a couple repairs that likely would have amounted to a single car payment (it was paid off anyway) but it was still solid.

As far as the resale value being garbage on the American-make cars. That's only a factor if buying a new one, most value is lost when it's driven off a lot for the first time. Buying used, especially a 7 year-old vehicle, is actually a good value if you get one that was cared for. An American-make vehicle will cost less on the used market than a Japanese-make vehicle. The reason for that? The INCENTIVES they have to offer to get someone to buy them. How often do you see Honda, Toyota, Subaru offering large incentives (>$1,000) to get people in the door? Not often. When I bought my Subaru the only "incentive" was a low interest rate. Very often, it's a better value to buy one of those new than a 1 or 2 year-old one as they hold their value VERY well.

Having said all that, I've ridden in an Impala and didn't feel it was nearly up to the quality of the Grand Prix I had. That may be due to the Impala having been a fleet vehicle and not a personally-owned vehicle but I thought the interior of my Grand Prix was MUCH more solidly assembled and felt "cheap" compared to my GP.

Which is the better car? That ENTIRELY depends on how the previous owner treated it. My Grand Prix was a GREAT vehicle for someone to buy used as it was waxed 2x a year, washed on a regular basis, garage-kept, always had synthetic oil in the crankcase and it was changed at 5,000 mile intervals.

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Meh, I don't trust em. To me American cars are the Dells of the automobile world.

So my 2012 corvette grand sport is a Dell? Even though it'll spank an Audi r8? Right.

http://www.insweb.com/new-cars/10-most-reliable-cars.html

Lets just ignore the Ford Fusion, Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus, and Crown Victoria ?

Saying all American cars are junk is an absurd statement.

I actually bought a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, brand new right out of college. ( it's essentially a crown Victoria ), and I sold it 2 years ago. It was comfy, loaded with toys, got great highway MPG, had 276,000 miles on it when I sold, no hiccups besides a couple of coil packs. But American cars are all junk right?

Last edited:

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
Meh, I don't trust em. To me American cars are the Dells of the automobile world. You might get lucky, but in general they kinda suck and they don't retain their resale value. That's the worst part. My uncle buys only American cars because he needs them for his business, and he wishes he were able to buy a foreign alternative. He just bought a new GMC Yukon Denali, and the frickin sunroof leaks when it rains. He's also had problem with all sorts of cheap parts, breaking power window motors, etc. American cars just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

----------

I guess it depends on the area. In my area there are more foreign cars than anything.

----------

Since you don't own or have owned the cars the OP is talking about,
you don't even have a pony in this race. Why post your drivel and show
that you know nothing about it?

Ford Fusion is my vote.

Had those tin can Hondas before…nothing but Ford since. Got three in the drive now. 1999 F250 Super Duty with 176,000 miles, 2000 Mustang GT Convertible,
2013 Escape. All of which run just great. Hell my Harley has been in the shop zero times except for routine service and tires. Could never say that about the Honda car or bikes, Nissan, Subaru or Suzuki cars that I have owned.

Care to list the American cars you've owned or are you talking crap and know nothing of which you speak?

Last edited:

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Care to list the American cars you've owned or are talking crap and know nothing of which you speak?

Well, I'm 24 and my family has not bought an American car since the 1991 pontiac sunbird. They only owned american cars before that, my dad owned a bunch of lincolns since he was a limo driver. He wouldn't let me drive an American car once I got my license. I'm a BMW fan myself, so that's what I drive. Why do you get so offended? It's just my opinion that American cars are of inferior quality. Since we're on the subject, it's not just the quality. It's the smaller details that make a difference. Just like Apple products focus on small details more than Dell. Two years ago when my car was getting fixed after getting rear ended I drove a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and was stunned at the lack of polish and focus on details. I could actually see the motors that move the seats back and forth, it was hilarious. Didn't even try to hide them from plain view. Anyway, I won't be buying American anytime soon.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
Well, I'm 24 and my family has not bought an American car since the 1991 pontiac sunbird. They only owned american cars before that, my dad owned a bunch of lincolns since he was a limo driver. He wouldn't let me drive an American car once I got my license. I'm a BMW fan myself, so that's what I drive. Why do you get so offended? It's just my opinion that American cars are of inferior quality. Since we're on the subject, it's not just the quality. It's the smaller details that make a difference. Just like Apple products focus on small details more than Dell. Two years ago when my car was getting fixed after getting rear ended I drove a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and was stunned at the lack of polish and focus on details. I could actually see the motors that move the seats back and forth, it was hilarious. Didn't even try to hide them from plain view. Anyway, I won't be buying American anytime soon.

Come back when YOU'VE bought 10 or 12 cars of different brands. Hearsay and throne room reading mean little in the real world. Shall I list all reasons that 'in my opinion' why BMW's suck? It would be complete drivel since I've not owned one. Much like your post…eh?….

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Come back when YOU'VE bought 10 or 12 cars of different brands. Hearsay and throne room reading mean little in the real world. Shall I list all reasons that 'in my opinion' why BMW's suck? It would be complete drivel since I've not owned one. Much like your post…eh?….

Why would I waste my time on 10 or 12 cars of different brands when i've found one i like? I still think American cars are mostly crap.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Why would I waste my time on 10 or 12 cars of different brands when i've found one i like? I still think American cars are mostly crap.

False. It's fair to say half of the American car marques have caught up with their competitors.

I think of crap as:
Suzuki
Most Subarus
Nearly all Volkswagens (they're like Audi's without the extreme upside and all the problems)
Mitsubishi

Say what you want about the American brands, but the new Cadillac, Buick, Ford, and Chevrolet don't have to reintroduce models. Meanwhile, Honda can take their class leading sedan and drag it through the mud, only to do emergency redesigns. Half of Honda's lineup is garbage. See below describing how six of the models could be cut and maintain sales. http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/18/honda-could-halve-its-us-lineup-without-crimping-its-sales-much/

Toyota hasn't done anything new or exciting in years (or they mess up the marketing by calling the Toyota 86 a Scion). All the while, while Cadillac is changing the marketplace, Honda releases the unremarkable RLX and the embarrassing ILX (which they want to dump the TSX for).

Victory has defeated the Japanese brands and soon enough the awful reliability will hurt the German car market. At the same time, I can't answer for Chrysler (absolute garbage) so you're right, American cars are not all great, but enough of this "they're not equivalent" nonsense.

For the record, I don't drive American cars, but I have tried and liked a lot of them, but my favorites were out of my price range.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I think the stereotypes about American cars posted previously are based on old history driving a poor perception of the make, not the current vehicles. Like any vehicle, if it's properly cared for an American-made car will last just as long as a Japanese car. For the record, many of the modern-day "Japanese" vehicles are actually built IN THE USA! I have a "Japanese" Subaru Outback, built in Indiana out of a significant portion USA-sourced parts, it my be more "American" than my Grand Prix was as that was built in Oshawa Canada.

I don't consider assembly as what is the cars nationality. A Camry is Japanese because Toyota is a Japanese company. The Fusion is American because Ford is an American company.

I find it funny though cars seem to be the only product that people use assembly in determining if it's American, Japanese, etc. Almost everything else, people use where the company originated from. People don't refer to Apple products being Chinese. Or their clothes......

----------

Say what you want about the American brands, but the new Cadillac, Buick, Ford, and Chevrolet don't have to reintroduce models. Meanwhile, Honda can take their class leading sedan and drag it through the mud, only to do emergency redesigns. Half of Honda's lineup is garbage. See below describing how six of the models could be cut and maintain sales.

Depends on how you look at it. GM is pulling a Honda quickly redoing the Malibu for 2014 like Honda did with the Civic. But, at least GM is responding quickly. The old GM would have waited until they redesigned it again.

But, at least the 2013 Malibu didn't look like the 2008 Malibu like the 2012 Civic looked like the 2006 Civic.....

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I'm not saying the point of assembly determines the 'nationality' of the vehicle. What I AM saying is that they're assembled in the US like many of the American cars people complain about the quality of. Now, the Hondas, Toyotas and Subarus are not built by UAW workers (so it may not be a fair comparison), and Subaru and Toyota share a factory in Indiana.

AustinIllini, have you driven a Subaru recently? I have one, my brother has two, the new Outback is a VERY nice vehicle for the price and will outlast most anything on the road.

likemyorbs, nice job comparing a Jeep to a BMW. Next time, compare a Cadillac to your BMW and let us know. Sure it was Jeep's top of the line offering but it's still a Jeep.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013

That's just a funny comment. Too generalized to be true, and it leaves out consideration for the quality of a Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, etc. from 2007.

Having owned both, the Fusion is the more solid of the two in terms of quality "feel" and road sense. The Impala is a big car, no doubt, but it rides like one in corners and is not any smoother on straight-aways than the Fusion.

I'm not a Ford fan, just being honest from personal experience. Acceleration in the Impala is quite nice, however. When it hits second gear it really pulls ahead nicely.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
AustinIllini, have you driven a Subaru recently? I have one, my brother has two, the new Outback is a VERY nice vehicle for the price and will outlast most anything on the road.

I tested a number of them. Subarus are eye sores with disappointing performance. It says a lot that their best car was designed by Toyota.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.