Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new MacRumors Guide pages are a companion to the MacRumors website and forums. The Guide pages are based on the MediaWiki software which drives the popular Wikipedia encyclopedia. The software is designed to provide a collaborative environment for users to continuously edit entries to provide both accurate and up to date information about the many topics.

The purpose of these Guide pages is not to provide another comprehensive encyclopedia website, or even a general Mac encyclopedia. Instead it is meant to provide an organized outlet for the vast amounts of knowledge that is provided in the forums.

The Guide pages can be found from the "Guides" tab in the navigation tabs near the top of the page, or directly through http://guides.macrumors.com.

Beyond tutorials and how to's, we also expect to host detailed product pages for the most recent Apple releases. These topic pages will be created as products are released (such as the PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2005) and will be kept up to date as new information rolls in about configurations, photos, benchmarks, problems and more.

For those unfamiliar with the Wiki software, we have some help pages to get you started.

Of note, we are restricting the ability to edit content to registered forum users. All users who were registered prior to October 29th, 2005 will have full editing rights, however, any new registrations beyond that time will need to achieve a 20 post minimum in the forums prior to being able to edit. The reason for this is to prevent spamming/abuse issues. See How to Register and Login for more details.

For questions and discussion about the Mac Guide pages, we have also opened up a new Mac Guides forum to discuss any issues.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Great job. This will be an invaluable resource for information. This certainly will raise the signal-to-noise ratio in the forums and provide timely, accurate information.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Glad to see it "go live"
I think it will be an awesome addition to MR

Thanks arn

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
this is a really cool addition and will hopefully carry on the good work that was done by the "how to's" and will hopefully stop the repetative questions etc.

what i would say is could the tab to it be made more obvious so that people looking for an answer will think to look there first. or maybe put a bit link at the top of hte pagE?

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
This looks excellent. I'm sure it will be an invaluable resource and very interesting read. I look forward to watching it grow.

Thank You MR! :)

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Great news.
I have been checking out the work on Wiki on OSX already, and it seems that alot can be done. With the amount of knowledge floating around here, it will be great help

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
What an awesome idea! Saves people from sifting through forums (on MR and elsewhere) to find the info they need. On my very cursory glance of the page, it looks really good! Thanks a bunch!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
russed said:
this is a really cool addition and will hopefully carry on the good work that was done by the "how to's" and will hopefully stop the repetative questions etc.

what i would say is could the tab to it be made more obvious so that people looking for an answer will think to look there first. or maybe put a bit link at the top of hte pagE?

Am working on more tight integration with the forum.

arn

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Pretty sweet. How about a Mac basics and troubleshooting and a 3rd party hardware category in addition to the existing? I'll have to start and convert my Mac Starter Guide into this thing. Really nice, great work Arn.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
EricNau said:
This is going to really be a great thing, I can't tell you how many times I've been to Wikipedia to look something up about Apple.

I think Wikipedia does a great job... and this certainly isn't meant to replace it - but certainly, topics will get a different and more detailed treatment coming from a Mac user perspective.

As a for instance, the Guide pages have only been unofficially up for a few days really, and there's pictures and a topic on iTunes 1.0

http://guides.macrumors.com/ITunes_1

which I find very interesting.

arn

mrpaperknife

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2004
Louisville, the Derby city
Great idea! I'm really excited about this new feature. Any thing that makes trouble shooting less troublesome.

My suggestion is that perhaps Guide entries could some how be integrated with forum search results. Many people may be familure with how to search forums for answers to questions, so it would be a convient redirection to the guides for such searchers.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
License

Hey arn, what's the license on this? Creative Commons?

I've been working on another Mac OS X wiki (see the sig), and although the two projects are different, It would be nice if we could copy one another. For instance, the Mac OS X Wikibook already has a complete (save pictures) chapter on The Dock. Likewise, I expect more information/images to appear here that would be great on the wikibook.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
mrpaperknife said:
My suggestion is that perhaps Guide entries could some how be integrated with forum search results. Many people may be familure with how to search forums for answers to questions, so it would be a convient redirection to the guides for such searchers.

I second that motion!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Diatribe said:
It would also be nice if the MR Buyers Guide would be user editable since it seems kinda outdated...

ya, I will work on somehow integrating the buyers guide with the wiki. It's a bit harder because the timeline is automatically generated. but we'll see how it works.

arn

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
This is a great idea. There is some really high-level knowledge on this forum, and it ought to be collected in wiki form. I know this was a lot of work, but I think the results will be excellent.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
Thank you Arn!

This is a great idea, and I am sure that the community as a whole will benefit from all the knowledge that is on this on this site!

rhapsycats

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
Right On!

This is pretty exciting. I am sure that this will be one of the first places that I turn to for information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.