Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 20, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Revenue Per Store Visitor Hits Record High

Apple's retail stores have been ranked as the U.S. retail chain with the highest sales per square foot for a number of years and according to a new report from Asymco's Horace Dediu, the company also outranks competitors when it comes to revenue per visitor, hitting a record high of $57.60 per visitor in the first quarter of 2013.

Apple experienced a seven percent growth in visitors during the quarter, leading to an average of $13 million in revenue per Apple Store, which is the highest it has been during a non-holiday quarter.

During its Q2 financial results call, Apple reported a total of $43.6 billion in revenue with $5.2 billion in retail, up 19% from the previous quarter.

Apple gets an average of 250,000 visitors per store per quarter, up from approximately 170,000 visitors per quarter in 2010. In recent years, the company has been focusing on building new Apple Stores across the globe and expanding existing stores to increase available square footage. Apple plans to open 30 new retail stores in fiscal 2013 and remodel 20.

Article Link: Apple's Revenue Per Store Visitor Hits Record High
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Doomed.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Walter White
Banned

Definitely doomed.
Walter White is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:25 PM   #4
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Perhaps I don't get it, but I'd rather get my Apple products from the online store than to set foot in these hipster infested stores... #mysanthropy
Old May 20, 2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Koulie
macrumors regular

We are all guilty for this. Most definitely doomed.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Thulsa Doomed
Ryth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
Perhaps I don't get it, but I'd rather get my Apple products from the online store than to set foot in these hipster infested stores... #mysanthropy
It is just like college. Some people exclaim how great living on campus is because of the "experience". Others eschew it and live without it.

To each their own, but judging by the sales numbers, a lot of people like going to the stores.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:32 PM   #8
xionxiox
macrumors regular

Quote:
That comment had hipster undertones.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:34 PM   #9
foodog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You may want to check the source on your signature. You know what Abe Lincoln said, "You can't trust stuff you read on the Internet." - 1861
Old May 20, 2013, 12:35 PM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
I like seeing things in person before buying them, so I understand the desire to buy in store.

Often I buy at my Best Buy instead of my Apple store though, given that Best Buy is a lot closer (10 minutes away vs. 50 minutes away) and that the staff:customer ratio is generally much higher at my Best Buy than at Apple (although Apple tends to manage the crowds pretty well and move people pretty quickly.)
Old May 20, 2013, 12:36 PM   #11
nicmr
macrumors newbie

I wonder if they counted the burglaries as revenue
nicmr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:36 PM   #12
macFanDave
macrumors 6502a

Danger! Does not compute!

Data not consistent with Wall Street narrative!

Possible sources of error:
1) Wall Street invents narrative on selective interpretation of data mixed with fantasy to drive price in desired direction.
2) Actual data in this story must be false.

The impeccable integrity of Wall Street operators under the watchful eye of the Federal Government regulators makes option 1) impossible, so 2) is the only viable option.
macFanDave is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:38 PM   #13
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
That's old world thinking.

I used to buy all my Macs online. I wanted them customized and, come on, they're heavy. Why lug it to my car by myself?

But Apple's profits are shifting to iOS. I've since bought 7 iPhones, 3 iPads, and an iPod Touch in an Apple store. Why would I wait to have it shipped? It's there, just buy it!

So while the Macs I bought always used to cost more than what I spend on iPads, my personal "what I spend in the store" number has skyrocketed.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:41 PM   #14
ericinboston
macrumors 68000

Who are the Apple competitors that this survey cites?

It's not very surprising Apple has a high $ sale per square foot...when 90% that Apple sells is $299 and higher...probably the average Apple purchase is $800 or more.

The only Apple product under $150 is the iPod nano for $80. The only other stuff under $150 is 3rd party accessories. Not to mention that Apple has pretty popular brand these days.

I really don't see the point of this survey. It's basically stating the obvious.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:43 PM   #15
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

My dad contributed to that by walking out of there alone with over $4k in electronics.
cclloyd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Mac Fly (film)
macrumors 6502

That chart says the US is a load of s h i t.
Mac Fly (film) is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:47 PM   #17
Carouser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Who are the Apple competitors that this survey cites?

It's not very surprising Apple has a high $ sale per square foot...when 90% that Apple sells is $299 and higher...probably the average Apple purchase is $800 or more.

The only Apple product under $150 is the iPod nano for $80. The only other stuff under $150 is 3rd party accessories. Not to mention that Apple has pretty popular brand these days.

I really don't see the point of this survey. It's basically stating the obvious.
It's not sales per square foot, nor is it average sale either (and you seem to have confused the two). It's sales per visitor (note, not the amount spent per customer). Hope that clears up your misunderstanding.
Carouser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:49 PM   #18
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

Open store in Sofia, Bulgaria
Old May 20, 2013, 12:49 PM   #19
lilo777
Banned

That's because of the overpriced Apple accessories.
lilo777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:51 PM   #20
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Having expensive items to sell doesn't do it. You also have to actually _sell_ the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
That's because of the overpriced Apple accessories.
As usual, lilo tries to put a negative spin on things, and again, she fails.

If Apple products were overpriced, sales wouldn't be high, they would be low. Because people don't buy overpriced things. Common sense: If it is overpriced, I don't buy it.
gnasher729 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:51 PM   #21
LagunaSol
Banned

I finally ended up in a city that allowed me my first Microsoft Store visit. Remarkably similar to the Apple stores (surprise!) except for one critical aspect: the number of customers roaming the space.
LagunaSol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:53 PM   #22
Carouser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
I finally ended up in a city that allowed me my first Microsoft Store visit. Remarkably similar to the Apple stores (surprise!) except for one critical aspect: the number of customers roaming the space.
Which is why Apple's high sales per visitor is even more startling.

"Expensive Apple accessories" would explain this only if visitors were forced to buy them, but of course they are not, so such an explanation is ridiculous.
Carouser is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 01:01 PM   #23
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
If Apple products were overpriced, sales wouldn't be high, they would be low.
Yep, a simple economics concept the haters simply cannot - or refuse to - understand.
LagunaSol is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 01:03 PM   #24
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter White View Post
Definitely doomed.

Definitely Doomed! But it will make Safari run snappier.... because this is something Steve Jobs would never do!
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 01:06 PM   #25
RenoG
macrumors 65816

You'd think folks have something personal to gain the way they are always looking to bash the guy on top no matter how much sense the report/ survey makes or how compelling findings are. Humans can be so puzzling sometimes.
RenoG is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion