Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 20, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

U.S. Mac Sales Flat in April as iPod Sales Continue to Slide

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster today released a brief report highlighting April data from market research firm NPD looking at Apple's U.S. Mac and iPod sales. The data shows Apple's Mac sales coming in flat year-over-year, and while Munster acknowledges that it has become increasingly difficult to extrapolate NPD's numbers to Apple's global sales performance, he views the latest data as "neutral to slight positive" relative to expectations for the company.
Quote:
Based on the differences between NPD data and Apple reported Mac sales over the past few quarters, we note it is becoming more difficult to draw conclusions from NPD data (see table below). We note that some of the more recent supply issues with the redesigned Macs have impacted the Apple reported numbers over the past two quarters. At the end of the day, we believe this April data point is likely a neutral to slight positive given our expectation that iPads will continue to cannibalize Macs over the next few years.
Munster stands by his predictions of 5% year-over-year decline in Mac sales for the second quarter as customers await updated models and the PC market remains weak.

On the iPod side, Munster only briefly cites NPD data showing sales sliding 36% year-over-year, compared to the Piper Jaffray estimate of a 23% decline for the entire quarter on a worldwide basis. But with iPod sales now representing only about 2% of Apple's revenue, the impact of the continued decline in iPod sales as customers shift increasingly to smartphones will be negligible.

Article Link: U.S. Mac Sales Flat in April as iPod Sales Continue to Slide
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster
Nuff said
Old May 20, 2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Mac computers remain the benchmark for computers. Nothing else comes close.
Four oF NINE is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:38 PM   #4
nicmr
macrumors newbie

iPod is doomed
nicmr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:38 PM   #5
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Wonder if the mac 5% decline prediction (if it holds) will beat out the overall PC north american market
Old May 20, 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

I think the iPod's road will be harder and harder as time marches on. Everyone and their dog has a phone that, once they upgrade, you could hand it off to someone else, and even if that person doesn't use the functionality of the phone, they're still left with something that's essentially a top of the line iPod Touch.

Can you say nearing point of device saturation? ^_^;
chirpie is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Nuff said
Yep...
Ryth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:41 PM   #8
MrNomNoms

Quote:
Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster today released a brief report highlighting April data from market research firm NPD looking at Apple's U.S. Mac and iPod sales.
1) When you say 'analyst' aren't you really saying '******** artist'?
2) When over half of Apple's revenue comes from outside of the US with the emerging market being the growth centre - pray tell why is there still this US-centric outlook on Apple or in fact any other business?
3) iPod sales were always going to decline - the idea of it being 'shocking' dumb founds me given that Apple has never made it a secret that there is a transition occurring.
4) Who the hell is Piper Jaffray and why should I take what they have over what some random drunk on the corner says about 'the world is coming to an end'? at least the guy in the corner is trying to dress up his ranting behind the pretentious charade of a business suit!

Last edited by OllyW; May 21, 2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: circumventing the profanity filter
MrNomNoms is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:43 PM   #9
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Wonder if the mac 5% decline prediction (if it holds) will beat out the overall PC north american market
For example, latest numbers from Europe should that Mac sales were flat, while PC sales were down 15% to 25% in major countries (Germany, UK, France). The incredible news from the UK was that tablets actually outsold PCs! So you can assume that Apple's market share is growing (nice for Apple) while sales are flat (not so nice for Apple), but since iPads have taken off, Apple doesn't really mind about that. iPads are cannibalising Mac sales, but they are much more cannibalising PC sales.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:44 PM   #10
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
There is one problem with this statement: Mac computers always lag behind PCs in benchmarks.
lilo777 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:45 PM   #11
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

I know nobody who bought an iPod new in the last 3 years.
cclloyd is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

wonder if it's because the iPhone that eats the iPod market.
and more cheap iPhone offering such as the 4.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:46 PM   #13
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
There is one problem with this statement: Mac computers always lag behind PCs in benchmarks.
There's another problem with that comment. It's irrelevant to the subject of the thread. But if it helps him sleep better believing it - then so be it.
samcraig is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:46 PM   #14
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816

Death of apple sounds imminent.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:48 PM   #15
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Death of apple sounds imminent.
Probably not. But Mac fans definitely have been sounding very scared lately.
lilo777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:49 PM   #16
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Nuff said
This story is obviously a fabrication. No way Gene Munster actually said these things.... There is no mention of an Apple tv!!
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:52 PM   #17
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
For example, latest numbers from Europe should that Mac sales were flat, while PC sales were down 15% to 25% in major countries (Germany, UK, France). The incredible news from the UK was that tablets actually outsold PCs! So you can assume that Apple's market share is growing (nice for Apple) while sales are flat (not so nice for Apple), but since iPads have taken off, Apple doesn't really mind about that. iPads are cannibalising Mac sales, but they are much more cannibalising PC sales.
Yes. But sadly - there could come a time when Apple drops the line altogether if the trend keeps going. Not saying they will. Afterall - we're still talking about millions of machines.

But I wouldn't rejoice too much that iPad sales are eroding Mac PC sales.
samcraig is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:54 PM   #18
Zachari
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post
I know nobody who bought an iPod new in the last 3 years.
Do you have children? Are you a child? All of my little siblings including all of there friends have iPod touches. Parents buy them for there kids instead of having to fork out the cash for a contract. As long as little children are around and apple keeps creating them, there will be a demand.
Zachari is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:58 PM   #19
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
If you're talking about specs, then no, Mac computers have always been miles behind.

If you're talking about build quality, yes, nothing comes close to the build quality of Mac computers (for now, anyway)
MasterHowl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 01:01 PM   #20
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
I'm probably repeating myself...

As usual, lilo tries putting a negative spin on things, and as usual, she fails. Most cheap laptops that are sold come with the absolute bottom line of Intel or worse AMD processors. For example, Dell doesn't sell anything with quad core processors that is cheaper than a MacBook Pro with Retina display.

----------

Quote:
Probably not. But Mac fans definitely have been sounding very scared lately.
Huh? And I thought you were totally scared, and that was why you post rubbish about Macs at every opportunity.
gnasher729 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 01:02 PM   #21
Mr.damien

Based on the differences between NPD data and Apple reported Mac sales over the past few quarters, we note it is becoming more difficult to draw conclusions from NPD data (but we will still tell you our **** about it anyway).
  0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 01:03 PM   #22
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachari View Post
Do you have children? Are you a child? All of my little siblings including all of there friends have iPod touches. Parents buy them for there kids instead of having to fork out the cash for a contract. As long as little children are around and apple keeps creating them, there will be a demand.
I don't even know any kids in my area who have iPod touches. They either use their parents' iPads or have an iPhone (usually the former).
cclloyd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 01:06 PM   #23
daneoni
macrumors G4

Well yeah, people are buying tablets/iPads now. And no one buys MP3 players anymore because they're now integrated to pretty much every single mobile device out there
Old May 20, 2013, 01:09 PM   #24
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
For example, Dell doesn't sell anything with quad core processors that is cheaper than a MacBook Pro with Retina display.
What about this one?
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 01:10 PM   #25
Smearbrick
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
This story is obviously a fabrication. No way Gene Munster actually said these things.... There is no mention of an Apple tv!!
Ha! Silly man. It's not Gene Munster, it's Herman Munster.

I don't think Herman Munster can even operate a computer, let alone a Macbook.

I think the brain transplant limits his digital dexterity.
Smearbrick is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion