Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 22, 2013, 08:24 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Updates Look of Online Store With More Feature Images, Fewer Text Links

Apple today rolled out some updates to its online store, not only posting new features advertising Father's Day gift purchases but also introducing a new, cleaner look for the store. While the main page of the online store had previously consisted of a main center column with product promotions flanked by sidebars with additional links, the new look brings an all-feature design focusing more on product images.

Previously, the left sidebar had offered quick access to accessory categories for Apple's various product lines, as well as links to the company's refurbished and clearance stores. Shoppers looking for accessories must now drill down through the product categories along the top "shop" navigation bar to reach the various accessories, while links to the refurbished and clearance stores are listed at the bottom of the page.

A similar situation exists for the former right sidebar, which offered links to Apple's other stores such as for education and business, as well as store services including gift cards, financing, and returns. All of these links are now only directly accessible through the store site map links at the bottom of the page.

The change removes some redundancy on Apple's main store page, as many links had appeared both in the main body of the page and lower down in the site map section, and by removing the sidebar links Apple has been able to bring much greater prominence to product images.

Apple has made additional image-centric changes further down in the site, with the main pages for each of the company's product lines now allowing for larger images and less text, while accessory pages have seen even more dramatic changes away from simple lists and toward more featured images.

Update: As noted by Macerkopf.de [Google translation], Apple has also added the ability for users in the German online store to pay for their purchases via PayPal.

Article Link: Apple Updates Look of Online Store With More Feature Images, Fewer Text Links
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
maflynn

Seems less intuitive. I like to find what I want and this appears to hamper that.
Old May 22, 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
marvz
macrumors 6502

Hint 'iOS7' ...
marvz is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:29 AM   #4
applesith
macrumors 68000

Less keyword anchor text for internal linking. But Apple doesn't really need to work on SEO.
applesith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:30 AM   #5
boshii
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvz View Post
Hint 'iOS7' ...
What about it? There'll be less text links?
boshii is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:33 AM   #6
xplora
macrumors newbie

With larger images and being more image centric, the site is in turn, much more touch friendly.
xplora is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:33 AM   #7
marvz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
Haha no... I mean it clearly shows that Apple is changing their overall "software" design.
And so iOS7 will change the design in this direction.

Last edited by marvz; May 22, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
marvz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:35 AM   #8
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

I liked the quick links.
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:37 AM   #9
Raftysworld
macrumors regular

Looks gorgeous and makes the Google Play Store look like a fisher-price toy.
Raftysworld is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:37 AM   #10
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplora View Post
With larger images and being more image centric, the site is in turn, much more touch friendly.
Makes sense but I still prefer using my laptop over my iPad so the changes are less welcome for me.

Oh well, not much I can do, just to adapt and roll with the punches.
Old May 22, 2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

It still looks dated (header) and the animations are too over the top. Like when you hit ipod for example then iTunes and more. Animation takes forever and then comes in too fast.
Ddyracer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:42 AM   #12
houstonwkv
macrumors newbie

Ewwww

I cant wrap my head around a menu on the left side of the screen.

Also if you click browse by and filter your accessory results, you lose an entire row of products.
houstonwkv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:47 AM   #13
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Is it just me, or is it more difficult to find things?
I most liked it when it was like this: simple: http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/...nnounced-2.jpg

although I guess it would have got cluttered with their more extended product line...
gwelmarten is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:53 AM   #14
MadDawg2020
macrumors member

Yet another example of Apple's continuing effort at dumbing down everything.
You must conform and use things only how Apple tells you.

You want to 'think different' ? Sure you can, as long as it is exactly how Apple tells you how.

Doesn't fit your workflow or skill level? Sorry no options for that anymore but they put in a bunch of cool icons .

Want that feature or option that you have relied on for years on your system? Nope that is obsolete now and they will never bring it back.

You want to chose which way to use a product? Now you have no choice because according to Apple, you are not smart enough to make your own decisions.

Want to customize the setup your way? Nope Apple knows better how YOU should be working.
MadDawg2020 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:56 AM   #15
neral
macrumors newbie

Dont you notice the change?

Its more like Windows 8 Interface. Apple is ceasing to put everything inside a rounded corners square, and now its attaching the tiles together.

If you are not convinced yet, look at the iPod site:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/
It still have a lot of blocks with rounded corners separated with some space between them. Also the background is darker and the shadows are more visible (in the Online Store, the blocks shadow appear just at the right side and is less stronger and expanded than in other parts of the website).

I dont think Apple is gonna strictly follow Windows 8 interface. But it's trying to look less 2007-2011. Its becoming more simpler, maybe following Google new mobile interface guidelines.

PD: sorry about my bad english.
neral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 08:59 AM   #16
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
there will be a cleaner interface
szw-mapple fan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:01 AM   #17
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplora View Post
One of the things I see people asking for is an iPad/universal version of the Apple Store app. I think this is a sign that ain't happening.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:02 AM   #18
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDawg2020 View Post

You want to 'think different' ? Sure you can, as long as it is exactly how Apple tells you how.

Doesn't fit your workflow or skill level? Sorry no options for that anymore but they put in a bunch of cool icons .

Want that feature or option that you have relied on for years on your system? Nope that is obsolete now and they will never bring it back.

You want to chose which way to use a product? Now you have no choice because according to Apple, you are not smart enough to make your own decisions.

Want to customize the setup your way? Nope Apple knows better how YOU should be working.
Want a Droid? Get it at your Best Buy and never look at another apple for 10 year.
Problem solved.

Last edited by maflynn; May 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Removed name calling
szw-mapple fan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:04 AM   #19
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Yay... Just what I was waiting for, a newly designed online store experience.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:05 AM   #20
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Hmm, OK? But better bring some new content to the Online Store
Old May 22, 2013, 09:08 AM   #21
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
One of the things I see people asking for is an iPad/universal version of the Apple Store app. I think this is a sign that ain't happening.
Why isn't the Apple Store app even an iPad app?
Old May 22, 2013, 09:09 AM   #22
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:

How exactly is Apple locking you in to anything? There are options - this is a free market out there. You can buy Android if you want to. Of course, Android ALSO locks you in to not being able to install iOS apps.

Are you going to complain about iTunes not available on an Android device, and how Android locks you in to their ecosystem now?
bbeagle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:12 AM   #23
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
That's actually the one Jobs legacy that still remains with Apple. It's a myth that using things the way Apple wants you do is a new development. This type of control was always at the forefront of Jobs mind since the Apple II. You should read the Jobs bio for perspective on this issue.

Job didn't get away with it with the Apple II because Woz's opinion still had some currency, being Apple's first product, and he being the brain trust. But the Lisa and Mac were pretty much closed systems with limited ports, and user-unfriendly Torx screws. Everything after the Mac and before the iMac were post Jobs I era.

All of the Jobs II era Macs except pro desktops were only marginally user upgradable (Mostly RAM). All of the iDevices are sealed boxes, even if they can be gotten into.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:13 AM   #24
stellaclose
macrumors member

Handbags?

So when you click on "Shop Mac" it displays the rMBP... but then scroll down you get a selection of handbags. HANDBAGS!!!!

FANTASTIC
stellaclose is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:15 AM   #25
ncrypt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neral View Post
Dont you notice the change?

Its more like Windows 8 Interface. Apple is ceasing to put everything inside a rounded corners square, and now its attaching the tiles together.
Additionally, buttons are no longer lozenge shaped ('Buy Now' button on a product page for example), they are more squared off.
Attached Images

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion