Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 23, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Colors Rumored for iPhone 5S and Lower-Cost iPhone, Dual LED Flash for iPhone 5S?

Mac Otakara has released a report with new details on a number of upcoming products, including the rumored low cost iPhone, the iPhone 5S, and the iPad 5. Citing information from several different sources, the site suggests that the low cost iPhone may ship in a number of different colors and that it will begin trial production soon.

Color choices for the low cost iPhone remain murky, as the site has heard rumors from two different sources. The first source said that the low cost iPhone will come in colors that include navy, gold orange, white, and gray, while a second source named white, pink, green, blue, and yellow orange as the available colors. A common theme, however, is that the low cost iPhone will not include a black option.

Rendering of low cost iPhone in multiple colors
Apple's rumored low cost iPhone is said to be targeted at emerging markets, carrying a price tag of approximately $350-$400 without subsidies. To facilitate a lower price tag, the phone is rumored to have a polycarbonate shell.

According to Makotakara, the low cost iPhone will begin a field test production in June, which will be followed up by wide ranging production in July to accommodate a September launch. This launch date is a bit confusing, as Mac Otakara previously said that the low cost iPhone would ship in 2014.

As for the iPhone 5S, Mac Otakara believes that it too will come in multiple colors. Previously, the site suggested that it would ship in three different colors, including the original black and white, but now says that additional colors might be offered, namely gold and green.

The design of the iPhone 5S is rumored to be largely the same as the iPhone 5, but Mac Otakara's sources say that it will sport a dual-LED flash and that the rear microphone hole will become circular instead of pill shaped, placed between the camera and the flash. Before the launch of the iPhone 4S rumors suggested that it too might ship with a dual flash, but that did not happen.

Rendering of iPhone 5S dual-LED flash
Finally the site gives a small bit of information on the 5th generation iPad, suggesting that the extra hole that was seen in some iPad mini prototype cases and even an alleged iPad mini prototype will be added to the iPad 5. The hole did not make it into the final iPad mini design, but it has appeared in prototype iPad 5 cases as well, and Mac Otakara suggests that it is an additional microphone.

While the site does not give an expected release date for the iPhone 5S, it does note that the fifth generation iPad will ship after the new iPhone. Previous rumors have suggested that the iPhone 5S will be released in September or later.

Article Link: New Colors Rumored for iPhone 5S and Lower-Cost iPhone, Dual LED Flash for iPhone 5S?
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:20 PM   #2
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Oh. Exciting.
Old May 23, 2013, 03:20 PM   #3
jasonxneo
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jasonxneo Send a message via Skype™ to jasonxneo
Looks beautiful!
Old May 23, 2013, 03:20 PM   #4
j.applewood
macrumors member

Rumor city.
Old May 23, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
bchery21
macrumors 6502

I don't mind having color, just not these.
bchery21 is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:21 PM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I don't like the muted weird orange personally. Also, wasn't there already a news discussion this exact thing?
Old May 23, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Why is dual flash needed?

Why not a black color?

Isn't not painting the lower cost phone cheaper than painting, therefore lowering the cost?
cclloyd is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:22 PM   #8
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I don't like the muted weird orange personally. Also, wasn't there already a news discussion this exact thing?
Looks like circus peanuts.
Old May 23, 2013, 03:22 PM   #9
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Now with 2x the power of the iPhone 5 LED flash....
Old May 23, 2013, 03:24 PM   #10
imgonephishin
macrumors regular

Quote:
The design of the iPhone 5S is rumored to be largely the same as the iPhone 5, but Macotakara's sources say that it will sport a dual-LED flash and that the rear microphone hole will become circular instead of pill shaped, placed between the camera and the flash.
And all of you have been saying that this would be a modest update and not sport anything worth upgrading. If a dual-LED flash and a change from pill-shaped to circular-shaped microphone don't get your rocks off, I just don't know what's wrong with the world today.
imgonephishin is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:24 PM   #11
briansolomon
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to briansolomon
Better be on the $300 end of things. We can already get an unlocked iPhone 4 for $450.
briansolomon is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:25 PM   #12
macdude3
macrumors member

The colors are simply mockups. I am sure the actual colors will be closer to what we have already seen with the ipod nano and shuffle.

Last edited by macdude3; May 24, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
macdude3 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:26 PM   #13
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Low cost iPhone is such an obvious stab in the dark. I wish analysts really had some balls and said there'd be a higher cost iPhone.

I know it's been said before, and it'll probably be said again, but it seems 90% of these 'analysts' are just pulling ideas out of their backside; not even based in any fact, just pure speculation. Most of the excellent members here on MacRumours make better guesses.
Old May 23, 2013, 03:27 PM   #14
testcard
macrumors 65816

A gold iPhone? Seriously? Steve Jobs would never...etc.
testcard is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:28 PM   #15
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude3 View Post
The colors are simply mockups. I am sure the actual colors will be closer to what we have already seen with the ipad nano and shuffle.
iPod, and yes I agree.
ECUpirate44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:28 PM   #16
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
Looks like circus peanuts.
HAH! You are absolutely right!
Old May 23, 2013, 03:28 PM   #17
bushido
macrumors 601

yes im sure someone who makes 2 bucks on average a day will consider an iphone as one of his priorities for 400 bucks now ... lol
Old May 23, 2013, 03:29 PM   #18
mytakeontech
macrumors 6502

Yawn...........
mytakeontech is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Brown!

Just like Microsoft zune!
Tiger8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Make an iPhone that looks and feels like the Gen 1 iPhone (metal, rounded, heavy) and anodise it for colours and ill have that (in silver/bare metal), rather than the 5S thank you very much
Old May 23, 2013, 03:33 PM   #21
portishead
Banned

I don't care just fix iOS so we can do basic stuff like check which apps are using data, or be able to choose widgets on home screen etc.

It's fine having a basic easy OS on the surface, but advanced users should be able to control more things, and utilize more sophisticated settings.
portishead is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:34 PM   #22
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Crap, if there's a green iPhone, it could be a long second year for my contract. I hope it carries over to the 6.
swarmster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:34 PM   #23
wiz329
macrumors 6502

Those are the ugliest colors I've ever seen.
wiz329 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:34 PM   #24
needfx
macrumors 68000

they should fire the designer pronto
needfx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 03:36 PM   #25
Sebct
macrumors member

I thought the flashes would have to be further apart from each other to actually make a difference? Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I have little understanding of the effects...

iPad Air - iPhone 5S - MBP 17", 2.4 Ghz - iMac 20" - MBA 13" 2011 - Mac Pro - Dual Apple 30" Displays
Sebct is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion