Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy
is launching a new four week promotion that will drop the price of new iPhone purchases by $50. According to AllThingsD, the sale will apply to the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S, and the iPhone 5, when purchased with a two-year contract from Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint.

An iPhone with two-year contract typically costs $200 for the 16GB entry level phone, so with the sale, the price will drop to $150. The discount applies to all phone models.

Best Buy has offered similar sales in the past, most recently discounting the iPhone 5 by $50 during the holiday season. Other retailers have also offered significant discounts on the iPhone 5 in the past, with Walmart selling the device for $127 at one point.

Best Buy's current sale will begin on Sunday, May 26 and it will run for four weeks.

Article Link: Best Buy to Discount iPhone by $50 Beginning Sunday

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
This MUST be an indication of the new iPhone 5S launching at WWDC with a better camera, bigger and better screen (500+ PPI), faster processor, GorillaGlass 3, fingerprint scanner, capacitive touch home button and Ive's flat black and white all-new iOS!

In all seriousness, older tech has and always will be discounted when newer tech is on its way.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Best Buy is launching a new four week promotion that will drop the price of new iPhone purchases by $50. According to AllThingsD, the sale will apply to the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S, and the iPhone 5, when purchased with a two-year contract from Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint.
Wait, so the on contract $0.99 iPhone 4 will also get a $50 discount? So they'll pay you $49.01 and give you an iPhone 4 to sign up for a 2 year contract? :confused:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
This MUST be an indication of the new iPhone 5S launching at WWDC with a better camera, bigger and better screen (500+ PPI), faster processor, GorillaGlass 3, fingerprint scanner, capacitive touch home button and Ive's flat black and white all-new iOS!

In all seriousness, older tech has and always will be discounted when newer tech is on its way.

I think it's more of an indication that BB wants feet on the ground in their stores. I picked up my iPhone 5 the last time they did this and an 11" MBA for $150 off, but they got me in the store. They also got me in the store yesterday to spend my $15 rewards certificate earned from the above purchases. It was quiet in there. :(

B

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
It's because RadioShack has been doing this for the last week or so. They are also discounting the Virgin Mobile iPhone 4 and 4s by $50.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
I can't ever seem to be at the right place and time with all these deals. I either buy on the first release date, or get impatient of waiting around for them to come and buy them just a week too soon. :(

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I got an e-mail from AT&T last week saying I could upgrade my iPhone 4 to a 16gb iPhone 5 for $100 (I am out of contract). Decided to pass since the iPhone 4 really does everything I need plus I have the 32gb model and it's full. :)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Either the 5S is coming out next month (WWDC surprise) or sales are slow enough to justify the sooner than expected discount.

iphone 5 has been on sale every other month since release

even if the 5S comes out in september i will wait till december since there will probably be sales on it by then to upgrade from my 5.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

gerrian

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2005
I got an e-mail from AT&T last week saying I could upgrade my iPhone 4 to a 16gb iPhone 5 for $100 (I am out of contract). Decided to pass since the iPhone 4 really does everything I need plus I have the 32gb model and it's full. :)

My carrier gives similar deals every few months.
The last such discount was when the new Samsung phone came out.

My carrier gives me a new iPhone when my contract expires. That will be next Jan and I plan to pay an extra $100 to get the 32GB iPhone 5. My 16GB iPhone4 is full!
:(

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth

That deal probably requires you to trade in your iPhone 4. That essentially means you are selling your iP4 for $100. You could get more selling it on eBay/Craigslist.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC

My iPhone 4 is getting a bit long in the tooth... especially the molasses pace of At&t's 3G in NYC.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Yes but how far away is it. This is more likely a sign that BBs sales figures are so slow they are worried about having overstock they can't return even if release isn't until the Fall. They know there are folks on a June/July end of contract from the phone releasing then in the past so they are trying to grab them.

----------

That deal probably requires you to trade in your iPhone 4. That essentially means you are selling your iP4 for $100. You could get more selling it on eBay/Craigslist.

Not always, but you can bet you have to sign a contract. I'd almost rather not renew until my current phone is truly dying and see if the carriers all go t-Mobile style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.